B2920 buying advice for newbie

rklimaszewski

Nov 8, 2012
Connecticut
I've been looking around for quite a while for a compact TLB , and think I found it with the B-series. I have scoured this site for as much info as I can before making such a heavy investment, so I was hoping to get advice for someone who's never owned anything but a garden tractor.

I only have a few acres, but there is a lot of landscaping that needs to be done, including digging, filling, grading, moving rocks (or leaving them for hardscape), and of course the occasional snow removal with the FEL. I do not plan on mowing or tilling with it as I have perfectly good machinery that accomplishes that now (less than 1 acre mowed).

I've read that it may be possible to put the quick connect coupler (B1658) on the L364 FEL. Is this worthwhile, and is it something the dealer will do? Not sure that I would need forks right away.

I have a quote for a B2920 TLB with thumb, block heater, rear light, 54" box blade ($895!), and 50hr service, which came in at $25,695 before taxes, insurance, etc. Is that a bit high?

Just as important as price is, what the heck will I wish I ordered with the tractor? This is all new to me, so what are the things I will want/need. Should I have the remote hydraulic valves installed? How many and what configuration? Is there anything else I should be asking from the dealer?

I appreciate any guidance I can get.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Welcome to the party, kick off your boots and stay a while!

First order of business as with most of us is getting the right size tractor from the start. It sounds like you're on the right path with a TLB to tackle your chores. You've mentioned plenty of jobs and you have a few acers but how big and these jobs as far as diggin and moving go? For me I'm trying to collect as much info as I can about your specific tasks to make sure you have the right tractor fitted for the job.

As all of us can attest on here, we only wish we had a bigger tractor from the start.

rklimaszewski

Nov 8, 2012
Connecticut
I don't have a lot of heavy lifting that needs to be done--nothing too big or deep. I have to fill in a section of my front yard with probably 8-10 triaxle loads, some land clearing from mostly saplings, and prepping for pavers front and back. I have no set time line either, so I am not worried about speed.

There are a lot of confined hilly spaces where a BX would get stuck due to ground clearance, and a B3200 would be more than what I need. The B3200 is also about $3k more, and I've already exceeded the upper limit of what I wanted to spend (I'm nearly 1/2 the cost of my first house!).

This is my first and probably last tractor I will ever buy, so I do want to size it appropriately, and I just don't see myself having a very large property to take care of in the future.

I do have a couple of questions on the B3200. I've read some posts about it vibrating--is that a concern from both operator comfort and longevity standpoints? Also, why would the smaller B's have a 2-speed rear PTO, while the B3200 only has one?

As for tires, I am planning on R4's since our ground is mostly hard and compact. I like the idea of the turf tires so as not to do too much damage to the grass, but I think I would regret that choice as I am moving earth and snow.

The boots are off and just hit the 2nd fermentation stage on some homemade brew--and I'm glad to be here. And yes, I will be sure to submit pics when it is delivered.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds to me like you've pretty much got it all figured out and in your case the B2920 is the way to go.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I came within a whisker of buying a B2920 and it is a nice tractor. I HATE quarter inching 3PH and the 2920 "felt" a bit tippy for our hills; whether it is or not I can't say. You might be able to get spacers.

I decided to get a BX2660 and use a bigger tractor for other stuff. My favorite in the B Series was the 2630/3030, but they are expensive and are being replaced.

It may very well be just the ticket for you though.

rklimaszewski

Nov 8, 2012
Connecticut
Well, for a first tractor, buying small and new was quite expensive, even though I could push the payments out several years. While smaller than what I wanted, there was a 2009 B2320 TLB on CL close to my house. It only had 400hrs, and he asking was $15,900. After two visits, with a thorough second visit with seat time, I was able to negotiate down to $14k cash--delivered.

The seller was very pleasant, and spent some time with me going through the ins-and-outs of the machine, something I would only have expected from a dealership. Turns out he works with my neighbor, and we've likely met at for party there a few years back.

I already moved a big mound of dirt with it. It did struggle a bit with the first 'potato' crop in here New England, but that could also be operator inexperience.

I am planning on picking up the mechanical thumb and a rear work light set (gets dark by 5PM here now). Since it is at 400hrs, I will by performing the major service on it hopefully before it snows.

Thanks for the input. I'll continue to slurp info off the site, add my input where I feel qualified, and won't be shy about asking myself.

And here it is..

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Looks good, not a bad deal on the price either! I think its awesome that the seller was so motivated and eager to go over the entire tractor with you. Ya seldom find that these days from private sellers.