B2782 need help

Nhshooter603

Equipment
B3030HSDC, B2782 Blower
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire
Bought a B2782 a couple weeks ago and these first two storms I’ve used it I’m going through fan shear bolts like crazy. Looking at old threads on here I decided to take a look at the chain and sprockets. The larger sprocket has tons of play. The key is still present in the key way but there’s tons of slop. Also the master link on the chain is broken/hanging. I’m thinking new chain and sprocket. Does the key come with the sprocket? Are these parts even available still? I’m attaching some quick pics I took.

Attachments

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
All parts should be available try messicks.com for parts and parts diagram. You will need to know what version of the 2782 blower you have to find the correct parts. The one I have is a 2782b and it is different for exmple the large gear mounts in a different way with no set screws.

Nhshooter603

Equipment
B3030HSDC, B2782 Blower
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire
Yeah I checked Messicks after I posted and they have parts in stock. I’m going to my local Kubota dealer tomorrow and hopefully they’ll have it so I don’t have to wait. I have a B2782 no “a” or “b”.

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
I did not know they made a 2782 without an a or b I learned something new. local dealer will definately be faster and they should have at least the chain or master link in stock. Where is the play comming from is it between the gear and shaft or gear and chain?

Nhshooter603

Equipment
B3030HSDC, B2782 Blower
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire
The gear is moving on the shaft. I can see the 1/4” key moving around in the key way. The key looks worn/out of square.

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
Just curious have you tried tightening both set screws on the gear. The one set screw is suppose to hold the key from moving the other is suppose to hold the gear from moving on the shaft.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Post some photos of the fan shear bolt area on your blower.

Below is a photo of an old design that experienced many failures.

Shear bolt orig style.jpg

This style was a much better design

Shear bolt new style.jpg

The following info is from a post of mine several years ago

I am suggesting a great deal of caution before you jump into ownership of the Kubota blower made by RAD in Quebec Canada for Kubota and other tractor manufacturers.

These blowers are identified by the gear box being between the two halves of the auger. The same design as a typical walk behind blower.

Many owners of these units are on this and the other forum trying to find answers to an almost unbelievable number of shear bolt failures.

There are been a number of changes made by RAD to try and solve the issue.

You need to do some research for yourself and not just grab one and expect it to be as reliable as your Kubota tractor.

Some owners of these blowers are happy with their units and take great offense at my criticism of them. Others stick with me through thirteen pages of posts until their individual problem is solved.

I do not own a tractor nor blower of this size

Dave

Nhshooter603

Equipment
B3030HSDC, B2782 Blower
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire
Post some photos of the fan shear bolt area on your blower.

Below is a photo of an old design that experienced many failures.

View attachment 52226

This style was a much better design

View attachment 52227

The following info is from a post of mine several years ago

I am suggesting a great deal of caution before you jump into ownership of the Kubota blower made by RAD in Quebec Canada for Kubota and other tractor manufacturers.

These blowers are identified by the gear box being between the two halves of the auger. The same design as a typical walk behind blower.

Many owners of these units are on this and the other forum trying to find answers to an almost unbelievable number of shear bolt failures.

There are been a number of changes made by RAD to try and solve the issue.

You need to do some research for yourself and not just grab one and expect it to be as reliable as your Kubota tractor.

Some owners of these blowers are happy with their units and take great offense at my criticism of them. Others stick with me through thirteen pages of posts until their individual problem is solved.

I do not own a tractor nor blower of this size

Dave
I have the newer design.

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
I have not tried tightening them.
Check them if they are loose you may not need the key and or gear. The chain is up to you the masterlink definately needs to be fixed. Also the chain looks a little dry like it hasent been lubed regularly so it could have some wear. I dont know if the manuals specs are the same for chain tightness but my manual says 1/16" deflection.

Nhshooter603

Equipment
B3030HSDC, B2782 Blower
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire
I’ll have to check my manual. I bought some chain oil last week, just haven’t used it yet. By the time I got done cleaning up the storm last night I just wanted to go inside. I’ve only had this blower 2 weeks and it looks like the previous owner didn’t lube the chain. Other than that the unit is in great shape.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Check them if they are loose you may not need the key and or gear. The chain is up to you the masterlink definately needs to be fixed. Also the chain looks a little dry like it hasent been lubed regularly so it could have some wear. I dont know if the manuals specs are the same for chain tightness but my manual says 1/16" deflection.
And for that 1/16" deflection, make sure that you measure that with the chain in its tightest position, as there's always some variation in tightness as the gears are rotated through a few turns. I did my chain tension adjusting on my B2782B (63") to have the play at the loosest point - and had to redo it because of the noise having it too tight made. It should never be tighter than 1/16" at the tightest position of rotation. I also carry a squirt bottle of chain lube while our blowing. A little squirt every hour or two.

Brian A

Equipment
B2650hsdc
Dec 14, 2020
northern ontario canada
i have 2782b and from what i was told b means its good for cabbed tractor . on my blower that gear has a hub that outer part tightens on witch in turn squeezes hub on the shaft , this in my opinion is more robust than your set up as it does not allow any play what so ever as long as bolts are kept tight . i also have newer shear bolt design on the fan , only time it shears is on an obstruction so i would say it works as it should

Nhshooter603

Equipment
B3030HSDC, B2782 Blower
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire
So I went Saturday morning to my local Bota dealer and they had everything in stock. I replaced the chain, sprocket, 1/4” key, and set screws. The set screws were loose, I loctited the new ones. The new chain is really tight. My manual calls for 1/4” deflection and I don’t have that. I tried to loosen it and it wouldn’t budge. I’ll try again this weekend as there’s no snow in the forecast right now.

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
So I went Saturday morning to my local Bota dealer and they had everything in stock. I replaced the chain, sprocket, 1/4” key, and set screws. The set screws were loose, I loctited the new ones. The new chain is really tight. My manual calls for 1/4” deflection and I don’t have that. I tried to loosen it and it wouldn’t budge. I’ll try again this weekend as there’s no snow in the forecast right now.
Yours could be different but loosen the four bolts that are on the box that holds the pto input and adjustment screw. There are two up top and two down bottom. Once that is done the adjustment screw should work.