B2710 front issue

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
So I have a b2710 with fel. The other night I was cleaning barn with it and notice when I turned real sharp toward right my left front wheel area was making a hell of a clunking noise. Straighten wheel it stopped today it did it driving straight. It isn't low on fluid but tonight I got done pulling some firewood for neighbor I notice inner part of rim is wet with oil. What parts should I get on order obviously seals but should I break down and plan on bearings on both sides too?and fresh oil.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
From your description, I am inclined to say that the universal joint(s) have slop in them, and probably need to be replaced. If you jack up the front, and slowly rotate the front wheel about 2" in one direction, and then in the other, and hear or feel clunking, that will give you a good idea of their condition. One reason to make sure that your front axle is always full of lubricant. I know that Kubota says that you can replace the UDT with gear oil, but I continue to use the UDT, since I feel that if gear oil was sufficient lubrication, that Kubota would have filled it with gear oil when it was assembled. Gear oil is a lot less expensive than UDT, and I am fairly certain that the bean counters at Kubota would opt for the less expensive lubricant, if the engineering department would approve of its use.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So I have a b2710 with fel. The other night I was cleaning barn with it and notice when I turned real sharp toward right my left front wheel area was making a hell of a clunking noise. Straighten wheel it stopped today it did it driving straight. It isn't low on fluid but tonight I got done pulling some firewood for neighbor I notice inner part of rim is wet with oil. What parts should I get on order obviously seals but should I break down and plan on bearings on both sides too?and fresh oil.
I have a B2910 which is the same tractor as yours with just a couple more horsepower.

I don’t think a u-joint is your problem since the only U-joints that I recall are in the driveshaft for the front axle. And they would react the same way if you were turning or running straight.

And you said you heard the clunking sound coming from the left side wheel area, and that is the same area where you found the oil leakage.

If it were only a seal issue, there should be no clunking sound. I would be concerned that the clunking sound has something to do with the gears, perhaps as a result of a major bearing failure. I don’t have a clue what the answer is, but if it were me, I would not drive the tractor anymore and I would disassemble that left side of the front axle to see what’s going on before actually ordering any parts.

(edited to get the side correct...)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Ikc1990

Equipment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
I'm hoping tonight to get in shop and tear it down. So I can order parts this week.ill let you know what I find. And I'm hoping it's just a bearing not something more serious but if I replace onse side I'm going to replace both with new bearings and seals

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm hoping tonight to get in shop and tear it down. So I can order parts this week.ill let you know what I find. And I'm hoping it's just a bearing not something more serious but if I replace onse side I'm going to replace both with new bearings and seals
Not sure if you are able to, but if you could take a couple pictures to show what you find it would great to see them! Hope it is nothing too serious!

spittinfire

May 4, 2021
NC
I just had the entire front axle apart in my B2710 and whatever you find you can still get all the parts for it. Knowing how it is assembled the load on the gears should not change when turning or going straight. Everything is mounted on ball bearings and pivots around the gears.

Does it make the noise in 2wd or just 4wd? Both? With what you've described I'm thinking that the bearing that holds the bulk of the wheel load has started to fail or the case as worn. The case that holds that bearing is the aluminum cover that bolts on. This would explain the noise as well as the sudden fluid leak.

As mentioned, the only U-joints are in the driveshafts so I do no believe that is your problem.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
So an update the outer bearing was shot fell apart when opened it. Seals are shot, so while changing seals changing all the bearings case looks good housings and gears all look great ko wear or broken teeth at all. Lucky or just perfect timing. Also I decided when one side is getting done the other side is getting same treatment new seals bearings, fluid and cleaning. Alsi doing the transmission fluid and filter service and engine service new air filter oil and filter, fuel filter etc. Good ole clean and grease, she'll be ready to do some bush hogging, fire wood and more next weekend. Had to order the seals and bearings local kubota didn't have any in stock. But any recommendations on fluid for front axle? It is a gear oil that was in it. Damn smell tells alot I hate smell of that crap yuck

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Use the gear oil, the only time to use UDT is in extremely cold weather operation. Kubota installs UDT during assembly as they do not know if it is going to the Nort Pole, South Pole, or the Equator.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Use the gear oil, the only time to use UDT is in extremely cold weather operation. Kubota installs UDT during assembly as they do not know if it is going to the Nort Pole, South Pole, or the Equator.
The other reason I have heard that they do this is because it is easier just to use one oil everywhere, and perhaps eliminates mistakes of putting the wrong oil in by accident...urban legend, or true, no way of knowing...but it seems reasonable...

Ikc1990

Equipment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
I live in northern vt so it dose get cold up here and I do use in winter and summer.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I live in northern vt so it dose get cold up here and I do use in winter and summer.
First thought is, what gear oil do you use in your vehicles? Probably normal gear oil, and not a lighter weight synthetic oil like SUDT. Has it ever been a concern in your area?

So my GUESS is that the heavier weight standard gear oil would work fine. And actually, if you check your manual, it may be listed as an acceptable alternative to UDT or SUDT.

One claimed advantage of the heavier gear oil, is less leakage as seals wear.

Myself, in the continental US I would be comfortable with either standard gear oil or UDT.

Reactions: 1 user