B2650 loader disconnect pins

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The weekend warriors carrying the garbage barrel to the curb will never notice this poblem. If you use your loader a lot and at capacity, there are a few bad things on the B2650 with the LA534 loader.

First off the loader mount pins DO DRIFT and the sliding keeper rods WILL bend allowing the pin to escape the inner mount. It happened to both of mine. I ended up tapping the end of the pins and use some big washers. It takes a wrench to remove the loader now, seems slower but the way it was I could remove the loader just by using it and that would cause a lot of damage.

Check for this beauty (curl cylinder top mount). It happened to me after a single load of crush on a side slope (about 50hrs at the time).

loader1.jpg

loader2.jpg

The repair is holding up well.
loader4.jpg

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That looks like the cylinder mounting pins, not the quick attach pins? They look to have bolts through them like the pin on buckets have (I'm very familiar with those). How did those back out? I get how the quick attach ones could back out - they're reasonably loosely affixed, if the keeper pins bent they could creep out. But the non-detachable pins have bolts as keepers, and no play in them - I wouldn't expect them to back out.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
That looks like the cylinder mounting pins, not the quick attach pins? They look to have bolts through them like the pin on buckets have (I'm very familiar with those). How did those back out? I get how the quick attach ones could back out - they're reasonably loosely affixed, if the keeper pins bent they could creep out. But the non-detachable pins have bolts as keepers, and no play in them - I wouldn't expect them to back out.
Two different issues.

Second paragraph is first issue with the pins.

The second issue, the pins on the cylinder mount DID NOT slide out. The mount on the loader arm assembly bent out. This has happened to a bunch of B2650 owners.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I have a LX2610 with the LA535 loader. I am experiencing the issue where the mount pin on the left side drifts out with enough force to bend the keeper rod.

Has anyone fixed this or are people just pushing the mount pins back in when necessary and living with it?

I have the longer black mount pins.

I do work the loader and grapple pretty hard and I am concerned that if I forget to keep a close watch on the mount pins the keeper rod may bend enough, or break off, and allow the mount pin to slide out far enough for it to stop supporting the loader.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have a LX2610 with the LA535 loader. I am experiencing the issue where the mount pin on the left side drifts out with enough force to bend the keeper rod.

Has anyone fixed this or are people just pushing the mount pins back in when necessary and living with it?

I do work the loader and grapple pretty hard and I am concerned that if I forget to keep a close watch on the mount pins the keeper rod may bend enough, or break off, and allow the mount pin to slide out far enough for it to stop supporting the loader.
I was looking at my B2601 yesterday when I put the loader on, and the pins on that also could drift back and still be within the keeper. Not all the way out of one side, but definitely enough to be halfway out of the inside socket. I've never seen them do it in use, but it's certainly possible. I'm wondering what use of the loader would put enough sideways force to make them move though - the geometry of the arms doesn't make it obvious why they'd have any side load on them, let alone enough to bend the keepers.

I think the suggestion of zip tying them against the arm is a reasonable one. It shouldn't be necessary, but better than a broken loader. Main issue is that'll make it harder to take loader on and off - but I'm assuming people putting their loader to that much use aren't taking it off much.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I was looking at my B2601 yesterday when I put the loader on, and the pins on that also could drift back and still be within the keeper. Not all the way out of one side, but definitely enough to be halfway out of the inside socket. I've never seen them do it in use, but it's certainly possible. I'm wondering what use of the loader would put enough sideways force to make them move though - the geometry of the arms doesn't make it obvious why they'd have any side load on them, let alone enough to bend the keepers.

I think the suggestion of zip tying them against the arm is a reasonable one. It shouldn't be necessary, but better than a broken loader. Main issue is that'll make it harder to take loader on and off - but I'm assuming people putting their loader to that much use aren't taking it off much.
Thank you for the reply. I have only about 100 hours on the tractor and have never taken the loader off. I don't think I ever will.

I will put a big zip tie on and see if it helps.

In the mean time I will contact the dealer to see if they have any ideas.

My though is that something is not perfectly aligned between the loader arm and the mount, but that's just a guess. The right side does not do it, and the pin on that side seems to be a snug fit. The one on the left side, the one that drifts, moves easily when the loader is at rest.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

I mentioned the same problem above. I ended up drilling/tapping the end of the pin and putting a fender washer on it. Both of mine had the sliding pins bent to the point it could come loose.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I mentioned the same problem above. I ended up drilling/tapping the end of the pin and putting a fender washer on it. Both of mine had the sliding pins bent to the point it could come loose.
Thank you for the reply.

I was using the loader yesterday and noticed that the pins wiggle a little when I applied down force on the loader bucket. That may be when the pins move. Since I use a root grapple most of the time I do use down force on the loader quite a bit. Still, allowing the pins to 'float' a little when applying down force on the loader doesn't explain how there is enough force pushing them to bend the retainer.

Anyway, I will do something to retain them better than the Kubota designed pins.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Not sure what kind of hell you B2650 owners are putting your LA534 loaders through. My 2017 B2650 with nearly 700 hours show zero signs of ANY of the pin/coupler issues described here.
And believe me when I say I don't "baby" that loader. I've put the machine through some serious bush hell with the loader, but especially the pallet forks, with all kinds of sideways and twisting forces combined with uneven loading, over loading, pressure to one side, having a fork caught and the other free and "pushing through" anyway, etc etc etc.
I've lifted all but one front wheel off the ground by hoisting the boom while one fork side caught under something and the twisting force lifted the back wheels and one side up before I let it back down and readjusted.
The quick-connect pins stay put though they float a little in use, and the retainers are straight as new.
All the other loader pins and the housings are fine, no movement or bending open.

WHAT kind of loader work exactly is causing you to bend up your loaders? Maybe its the 2017 B2650 year that doesn't have this issue?

My loader QR pins are black and longer than the housing, and will not clear the inner face of the mount housing even when pushed outwards to full extent.

Maybe Kubota made some design adjustments in the B2650 that are not working out?

But non-the-less, a fantastic, tough machine.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Same here. Mine is a 2018 and I've had it do things it should not have been asked to do. It's held up with no issues and I checked the pins and no problems found. They float, but are not pushed out enough to even think about bending the retaining arms. Maybe I'm just lucking, I'm gonna go knock on some wood now ;)

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The bent curl piston mount happened during one load of asphalt crush along the side of a garage. One load of easy full heavy buckets on a side slope was all it took to bend the mounts.

The sliding pin happens during zero or negative pressure on the loader mounts. I do a lot of hole drilling with a hydraulic auger (I use down pressure a lot) and the pins slide back and forth all the time - just idling around, I don't have to abuse anything for it to happen.

This is hard to explain. Once the pin is all the way to one side, when you go to add a new load/force it can force the pin fractionally in that direction. Repeated enough times, it WILL bend the keeper pin and allow the main pin to come out to the point that it can jam.

You can see the "rattling pin" easily, just set the loader on the ground, as soon as there is zero or negative pressure on the mount the pins will vibrate/rattle.

Reactions: 1 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
The bent curl piston mount happened during one load of asphalt crush along the side of a garage. One load of easy full heavy buckets on a side slope was all it took to bend the mounts.

The sliding pin happens during zero or negative pressure on the loader mounts. I do a lot of hole drilling with a hydraulic auger (I use down pressure a lot) and the pins slide back and forth all the time - just idling around, I don't have to abuse anything for it to happen.

This is hard to explain. Once the pin is all the way to one side, when you go to add a new load/force it can force the pin fractionally in that direction. Repeated enough times, it WILL bend the keeper pin and allow the main pin to come out to the point that it can jam.

You can see the "rattling pin" easily, just set the loader on the ground, as soon as there is zero or negative pressure on the mount the pins will vibrate/rattle.
That sounds like the same thing I am experiencing based on how I use my grapple and what I have seen now that I have been watching the pins closely in use.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ

Ah, I think I see. You're saying that with a bit of down pressure the pins become unloaded, so they're loose. Makes sense, this is how you get the loader off. And since you're doing a fair bit of auger work, they're unloaded a lot. When unloaded they can move side to side really easily. Also sensible. And then once they're all the way to one side, when you load up again they're now unbalanced, because one side isn't properly in. So that can now put force on it, and bend the keeper. I think I can see in my mind how that all works. And a zip tie would definitely fix it, as would some sort of bushing, that reduced the size of the hole in the keeper. Zip tie makes sense if you never take the loader off. A bushing is more work, but would let you still take the loader on and off.

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Ah, I think I see. You're saying that with a bit of down pressure the pins become unloaded, so they're loose. Makes sense, this is how you get the loader off. And since you're doing a fair bit of auger work, they're unloaded a lot. When unloaded they can move side to side really easily. Also sensible. And then once they're all the way to one side, when you load up again they're now unbalanced, because one side isn't properly in. So that can now put force on it, and bend the keeper. I think I can see in my mind how that all works. And a zip tie would definitely fix it, as would some sort of bushing, that reduced the size of the hole in the keeper. Zip tie makes sense if you never take the loader off. A bushing is more work, but would let you still take the loader on and off.
I started with a zip tie, then a zip tie with tape. I finally drilled and tapped the main pin and use a fender washer. No issues since.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Definitely too short. Anybody hear of a fix? My dealer is still researching...
There is a current PSA for your LA535. Got mine in the mail back in June. The pins are wrong and need to be replaced with ones that are about a half inch longer. Now, just getting the pins delivered to the dealers ......

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Definitely too short. Anybody hear of a fix? My dealer is still researching...

It helps if you stick a piece of thick rubber tubing on the Handle so that it keeps it over further. And it also keeps it from lifting up by some crazy chance and coming out all together

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Rainy day here today so I looked at my B2650 Loader pins. They had migrated to the outside but the retaining pins weren't bent. Still, the inside end of the main loader pin was well inside the steel bushing. So I came up with this: A piece of round steel was cut in half. Drilled for a 1/4" bolt and nylock nut. Bolted in place still leaves plenty of room for the retaining pin to be slid up and out. With retaining pin in place, the main loader pin protrudes well outside of the inside loader bushing.
Pin Stop.jpg Pin Stop Space.JPG Pin Stop In Place.jpg Loader Pin Inside Edge.JPG

The 1/4" bolt is up against the edge of the original bracket hole so can't move further outward. The two half round pieces clamped together don't move a bit. I don't know if it was necessary, but it does make the whole mounting system look more secure. And this way results in no tywraps or any other type of restraints to remove before you can pull the pins. It only reduces the open space for those retaining pins.

Next will be to sandblast, paint them black and call it done.
David

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Rainy day here today so I looked at my B2650 Loader pins. They had migrated to the outside but the retaining pins weren't bent. Still, the inside end of the main loader pin was well inside the steel bushing. So I came up with this: A piece of round steel was cut in half. Drilled for a 1/4" bolt and nylock nut. Bolted in place still leaves plenty of room for the retaining pin to be slid up and out. With retaining pin in place, the main loader pin protrudes well outside of the inside loader bushing.
That's a really tidy solution. I was figuring you need to either make the hole smaller (a bushing, or what you've done), or make the pin larger (some hose over it, or wrap in tape). Your solution is really tidy and removable, and I'm pretty sure that's going to work well.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's my setup. I cut the discs off the end of some 1 5/8" round stock. Split the disc in half via cut off wheel in grinder. Drill hole, sandblast, prime and paint. The black paint looked nice, although I was in a bit of rush to see what they looked like in place.
Cutting Pin Stops.jpg Sand Blasted.JPG Black Pin Stops in Place.JPG
Not sure how much life it would take off the carbide saw blade but if anyone was interested.....I could rattle off a few sets.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Here's my setup. I cut the discs off the end of some 1 5/8" round stock. Split the disc in half via cut off wheel in grinder. Drill hole, sandblast, prime and paint. The black paint looked nice, although I was in a bit of rush to see what they looked like in place.
View attachment 67468 View attachment 67469 View attachment 67470
Not sure how much life it would take off the carbide saw blade but if anyone was interested.....I could rattle off a few sets.
Nice. Black bolt head would really finish it off......