B2650 HST Pedal Switch

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
My tractor died on me, just like I'd turned the key off. Wouldn't do anything when I turned the key to the start position.

After checking all the usual culprits I noticed the dash was not lighting up.
Started checking fuses and the Panel OPC fuse was blown (5 amp) Replaced it and tractor started right up, but died again in about 10 feet.

While troubleshooting the problem got to the point where all I had to do was touch the Hydro treadle and it'd blow the fuse and quit.

Of course, it was down a steep hill and in a corner behind a house when it died so I had to pay a guy with a wrecker to get it up on level ground where I could winch it up on my trailer. (That is another whole comedy of errors story I'll post in Off Topic).

Imagining the worst, I called the Kubota dealer to get an appointment to get it fixed. I barely got the description of the problem out of my mouth when the service guy says "Bad HST pedal switch. I've got a box of 'em up here."

So, I haven't replaced it yet, have to run up and get it tomorrow, but if that's the fix, I'm getting out of it WAY cheaper than I feared. I can change that myself and don't have to drag the tractor 60 miles to the dealer and pay shop rates for them to fix it.

Just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone else runs into it. Apparently it's a fairly common occurrence.

Reactions: 1 users

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Paul,
Was it something you did or is it a faulty component since it is a common problem according to the service guy? How old is your B2650? Thanks for the heads up.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Random failure as far as I know. My tractor is a '15 model. Just the way the guy jumped on the answer gives me the impression this isn't the first time it's come up.

I assume the switch failed in such a way as to short power to ground.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Just to follow up, it was indeed the switch and $43.19 later I'm back in business.

The engineers could probably have crammed one more thing in the way of replacing that switch, but they'd have had to work at it...:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user

franklb99

Equipment
B2650 w/Loader, bush hog, finish mower, stump bucket, Titan Grapple
Sep 4, 2019
Chesterfield, VA
New member here...seem to have same issue, B2650 tractor died, instrument panel blank, OPC 5amp fuse blown...replaced fuse, panel comes back on and tractor starts...until I hit forward or reverse and then blows fuse again.

When you all say "Bad HST pedal switch" are you talking about the "safety switch" for the pedal or something else?

Thanks!

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Had exact same thing happen to my B2650 at about 1000hrs. Replaced switch and all is good.

franklb99

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Chesterfield, VA
#Rkidd - thx for the info...just to confirm, you are talking about the "safety switch" right?

Hopefully I just attached a picture of it....

Located on the forward/reverse pedal side up and to the left from under the machine.

THANKS!

Attachments

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Yup, neutral safety switch. If you have a cabbed tractor, the hatch under the rubber mat right in front of the seat will give you access.

Reactions: 1 user

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Bought my B2650HSDC this spring and just noticed this past weekend that my tractor didn't start right away. Remembered what I had read here about the pedal switch being a possible problem. My question is, can this switch work intermittently by being out of adjustment, or does it just not work at all. The reason being is I touched the pedal and got it to start so my guess is it is something that can be adjusted?

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Bought my B2650HSDC this spring and just noticed this past weekend that my tractor didn't start right away. Remembered what I had read here about the pedal switch being a possible problem. My question is, can this switch work intermittently by being out of adjustment, or does it just not work at all. The reason being is I touched the pedal and got it to start so my guess is it is something that can be adjusted?
Yes, the switch can be adjusted. I often have to diddle the pedal a bit to get it to start.

franklb99

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Chesterfield, VA
Update on mine. So I saw somewhere where someone had "temporarily" zip-tied the safety switch with the plunger fully pressed in and it allowed the tractor to work for them so I tried that and replaced the fuse. Then dashboard lights came on, I was able to start the tractor, actually move the tractor and at least get it out of the yard and back in the shed. If the zip tie had not worked, I was going to put in a temporary "jump wire" to bypass the switch to isolate the switch as the problem.

After that I did attempt "adjust" the switch without the zip tie and adjust the 2 mounting nuts to move it closer to the part that presses the plunger in while in a neutral position and that seemed to work for a minute or 2 and then it died, blew the fuse, etc.

I'm going to order the new part as I'm about 99% sure that the switch has some kind of short in it when it isn't pressed.

Thanks for all the help!
Brian

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
#Rkidd - thx for the info...just to confirm, you are talking about the "safety switch" right?

Hopefully I just attached a picture of it....

Located on the forward/reverse pedal side up and to the left from under the machine.

THANKS!
Sorry just saw your post. Was on my tractor all day yesterday. Yes that is the switch. Pretty easy to replace and as Paul said is adjustable.

franklb99

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Chesterfield, VA
Changed part and all is well. It might be worth noting that mine is a 2015 as well...

Part# 5T057-42230 from Kubota - pic attached.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Well.....my turn!

I've had the frustrating pedal wiggle to get the tractor to start for a while now....until this afternoon.

My B2650 just died....no warning or nuthin.
I noticed that this time, the engine warning symbol/light on the dash was not illuminating when I tried to start it, and that led me to the fuse.

Replaced the ten amp mini fuse and it fired up. Got it to move about 3 feet, and died again.

Told my customer I was out-of-service for repairs and will be back as soon as I get this #%*@ switch changed out. (it really is my fault, I knew there was a problem, just didn't know it would "kill" my tractor eventually)

Sure hope the local Kubota dealership has one of these switches in-stock!

Dave

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Well.....my turn!

I've had the frustrating pedal wiggle to get the tractor to start for a while now....until this afternoon.

My B2650 just died....no warning or nuthin.
I noticed that this time, the engine warning symbol/light on the dash was not illuminating when I tried to start it, and that led me to the fuse.

Replaced the ten amp mini fuse and it fired up. Got it to move about 3 feet, and died again.

Told my customer I was out-of-service for repairs and will be back as soon as I get this #%*@ switch changed out. (it really is my fault, I knew there was a problem, just didn't know it would "kill" my tractor eventually)

Sure hope the local Kubota dealership has one of these switches in-stock!

Dave
Replaced the switch today:

Part was $49 at the local Kubota dealership.

Here are some pictures of the swap.

Trundle Switch Replacement 1 5-28-2021.jpg
Trundle Switch Replacement 2 5-28-2021.jpg
Trundle Switch Replacement 5-28-2021 3.jpg

If your switch replacement isn't going very well..... :)

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Update on this: (Safety Nazi's DO NOT READ!)

After the third switch defecated in the sleeping apparatus, I made a jumper plug and just eliminated the cussed thing.

Side effect (other than the obvious...) is that I can't operate the PTO without being in the seat but A) the only time I needed to was with the 3PH Log Splitter and I don't burn wood any more; and 2) there's a work-around for that too.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Update on this: (Safety Nazi's DO NOT READ!)

After the third switch defecated in the sleeping apparatus, I made a jumper plug and just eliminated the cussed thing.

Side effect (other than the obvious...) is that I can't operate the PTO without being in the seat but A) the only time I needed to was with the 3PH Log Splitter and I don't burn wood any more; and 2) there's a work-around for that too.
I often start my tractor from the ground, so I would "sure as hell, run myself over" if I did that but......

1694602875225.png

1sttractor

Equipment
Kubota B2650 with cab, bush hog and front end loader
Oct 4, 2023
Elgin, SC
First time tractor owner. I used this thread over the last few days to diagnose and find my problem with my B2650. Thank you very, very much! I have the HST switch, but I can't get my hand in the spot to remove and replace. Do I need to take the wheel off? How to I actually remove the switch (for example, do I pinch together the plastic part)? I have a cab model if that matters. Here is a photo of how cramped the space is, but I can get to it with one hand underneath.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
First time tractor owner. I used this thread over the last few days to diagnose and find my problem with my B2650. Thank you very, very much! I have the HST switch, but I can't get my hand in the spot to remove and replace. Do I need to take the wheel off? How to I actually remove the switch (for example, do I pinch together the plastic part)? I have a cab model if that matters. Here is a photo of how cramped the space is, but I can get to it with one hand underneath.
Welcome sir,

You might get a better response if you post a new thread with your question.

My L series is pretty different (I think), so I can't be of much help.