B2650 Front Wheel Stud Replacement

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
My B2650 is just over a year old. When I first got it I had issues with the front left tire staying inflated so it was taken on and off several times trying to get it fixed. It was eventually replaced under warranty.

Fast forward a year and I ran over something and punctured the tire. So I had to take it off to get it patched. Got it fixed and went to put it back on the lug nuts wouldn’t either go on a couple and one wouldn’t tighten up. So the tractor is sitting in my garage without a front left wheel on it.

Went to the dealer and got part number 66591-56564, which are the studs. And also picked up new lug nuts. Got 9 of each. I know it only takes 6.

So I got all the old studs out with a stud extraction tool from Advance Auto. Which broke on the last stud removal, so I’ll be taking that back.

I watched the only YouTube video I could find on replacing wheel studs on a Kubota tractor, and that guy was able to finger tight the stud all the to the flange. I cannot. I can only get it this far. See picture. I’ve verified the part number.

How do I install the stud without damaging the threads on either side of the stud?

Loctite or no? If so, red or blue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
If it were my tractor, and it ain’t, I would put two lug nuts on the stud and use a box wrench to tighten the stud to the flange.

If my desk jockey arms feel any resistance, I would take the stud out and chase with a tap.

Blue will work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it were my tractor, and it ain’t, I would put two lug nuts on the stud and use a box wrench to tighten the stud to the flange.

If my desk jockey arms feel any resistance, I would take the stud out and chase with a tap.

Blue will work fine.
Ditto, On 2 lug nuts and blue loctite

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
I did the two lug nut method. All went in pretty easy with a wrench. One was a little tighter, but it went in.

Now I’ve got to put the wheel back on, and there are two that won’t tighten against the wheel. You can’t turn it with your finger, but it won’t get tight enough for the torque wrench to click.

At that point I stopped last night. I’m going to try to swap lug nuts from one that did tighten to the one that didn’t and see what happens.

I read somewhere that if I’m replacing lug nuts don’t use Kubota’s. Go get some better ones at Fastenal or somewhere. They’re 12mm x 1.25 thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It sounds like you have stripped lug nuts if you can't get them to tighten and they just keep turning. :eek:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
That's good info. Noticed my neighbor's L3400 has a broken stud. Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Using the 2 nut method can booger up the thread on the stud. run a die down it to clean it up.
How?

FYI: Digging up a 6 year old dead thread puts you on the MOD'S radar for being a scam / spammer.