B2650 alternator upgrade

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
OK fellas. I know this has been done before by others, but wanted to post it up just in case someone isn’t aware and may benefit.

There’s no way to sugar coat it. The 14A dynamo on our B2650s is the limiting factor if you have any electrical items that you want to add. Just a few auxiliary lights could easily draw more than the dynamo puts out, which means you’re now draining the battery.

If you ask your friendly neighborhood Kubota dealer, there is no alternator upgrade available for a ROPS B2650. It may not show in the book, but this is false. Have them order a Wholegoods item B7324. It’s for an earlier B series machine, and 100% bolt on for the B2650. Likely the same for LX2610, but I cannot confirm.

link to order kit on your own: https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/details/KubotaParts/ALT-KIT/B7324/

Yes, you can buy a 1-wire alternator and cobble it together with a fabricated mount and get done cheaper.

This B7324 kit is about $250, but it is absolutely complete. There isn’t a single wire that gets cut. The new bracket bolts right on, and the new bet is a perfect fit. The wiring is plug and play, and the provided harness is a great fit.

All done, including beer breaks, I was under an hour after removing the loader (my first time). If I did another one, I’d be done with the whole deal with loader in an hour, easy. Getting the loader off only takes a few minutes and makes everything so open and easy.

If you’re adding lights, charging phones and Bluetooth speakers, or running a blender, this may be a good option for you. Don’t be intimidated. It’s a one-banana difficulty level.

I found this video that another gentleman put up some time ago. It is very well done, simple, and helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
OK fellas. I know this has been done before by others, but wanted to post it up just in case someone isn’t aware and may benefit.

There’s no way to sugar coat it. The 14A dynamo on our B2650s is the limiting factor if you have any electrical items that you want to add. Just a few auxiliary lights could easily draw more than the dynamo puts out, which means you’re now draining the battery.

If you ask your friendly neighborhood Kubota dealer, there is no alternator upgrade available for a ROPS B2650. It may not show in the book, but this is false. Have them order a Wholegoods item B7324. It’s for an earlier B series machine, and 100% bolt on for the B2650. Likely the same for LX2610, but I cannot confirm.

Yes, you can buy a 1-wire alternator and cobble it together with a fabricated mount and get done cheaper.

This B7324 kit is about $250, but it is absolutely complete. There isn’t a single wire that gets cut. The new bracket bolts right on, and the new bet is a perfect fit. The wiring is plug and play, and the provided harness is a great fit.

All done, including beer breaks, I was under an hour after removing the loader (my first time). If I did another one, I’d be done with the whole deal with loader in an hour, easy. Getting the loader off only takes a few minutes and makes everything so open and easy.

If you’re adding lights, charging phones and Bluetooth speakers, or running a blender, this may be a good option for you. Don’t be intimidated. It’s a one-banana difficulty level.

I found this video that another gentleman put up some time ago. It is very well done, simple, and helpful.

You video will be a big help to many. Were you able to retain the original warning light for no charge situations? What is the output in amps of the new unit?

There is another possible option, John Deere has a 3 wire dynamo on some models which has an output of 35 amps.

3 wire dynamo.jpg

In some Kubota situations it may be an easier fitment.
Rectifier/regulator would also need to be changed.
Dave

Last edited:

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
That video is not something I can take credit for! I found it online when searching for upgrade options, and just shared it for reference.

I believe the light still works as it should, because it is illuminated when you put the key in the “Run” position without starting. Also, the tractor that this kit was made for is so close to a B2650 it’s not even funny. Makes sense that everything still works appropriately.

I’m not sure what the output is, but I think I’d read somewhere that it’s in the 40A range. It is internally regulated, so you take the OEM regulator out of the system when installing. The stock regulator is behind the dash. You just unplug it and the new harness plugs into the old regulator pigtail.

That JD dynamo may be an option, but my intent here was to show off a system upgrade that doesn’t require a single modification to the tractor or any fabrication. While a lot of folks love to tinker and work on their equipment, others just don’t. This is more for that group I think.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Nearly a month later and a few times operating at night, everything is still working seamlessly.

Reactions: 1 user

kubotasaurus

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2023
Indiana
Since this fits a B2650, it should also work on a B2601, correct?
Kubota actually had an alternator as a wholegood option for the B2601. When I called a local dealer for pricing, they said that Kubota had discontinued it.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Since this fits a B2650, it should also work on a B2601, correct?
Kubota actually had an alternator as a wholegood option for the B2601. When I called a local dealer for pricing, they said that Kubota had discontinued it.
That’s a good question, but I can’t answer it without some digging. Looks like the Wholegoods part number for the B2301/2601 40A alternator kit is B7311. Is that the one that is discontinued???

Have you checked to see if the B2601 and B2650 share the same part for stock dynamo? Also cross reference drive belts. I’d guess if they’re the same, you’ve got a fighting chance….

Interested to see what the differences are between the B7324 and B7311. Would be perfect if the only difference is the new oil dipstick, since I threw my new one away…. About the only part in the kit that doesn’t get used!

Last edited:

kubotasaurus

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2023
Indiana
That’s a good question, but I can’t answer it without some digging. Looks like the Wholegoods part number for the B2301/2601 40A alternator kit is B7311. Is that the one that is discontinued???

Have you checked to see if the B2601 and B2650 share the same part for stock dynamo? Also cross reference drive belts. I’d guess if they’re the same, you’ve got a fighting chance….

Interested to see what the differences are between the B7324 and B7311. Would be perfect if the only difference is the new oil dipstick, since I threw my new one away…. About the only part in the kit that doesn’t get used!
Messicks website breaks down all of the parts in the alternator kits. It says the B7324 you used is discontinued and it was replaced by part number B7311. Looking at the expanded list of what the kits include they look pretty identical, at least all of the important bits. The alternator, wiring harness, belt, etc. The B7311 kit is over $770 at Messicks, but only $220 at Coleman. That's three and a half time more expensive! I'll contact a different local dealer tomorrow and specifically ask about the B7311 price, availability, and application on the B2601.

I appreciate your input and advice!

kubotasaurus

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2023
Indiana
When I messaged a local dealer about alternator kit B7311 they said it had been discontinued and was unavailable. Oddly, they left it at that. I replied asking if there were, then, no options for an alternator for a B2601. They responded that yes, there is an alternator and it's $224. You would think that knowing what I wanted, and wanting to make a sale, they would have mentioned that on their own, unprompted. 🤷‍♂️
I asked for the part number and whether the price was for the whole kit or just the alternator itself. They haven't replied yet.
When I eventually get one ordered, I'll post up the new part number for anyone else whose interested.

Reactions: 1 users

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
When I messaged a local dealer about alternator kit B7311 they said it had been discontinued and was unavailable. Oddly, they left it at that. I replied asking if there were, then, no options for an alternator for a B2601. They responded that yes, there is an alternator and it's $224. You would think that knowing what I wanted, and wanting to make a sale, they would have mentioned that on their own, unprompted. 🤷‍♂️
I asked for the part number and whether the price was for the whole kit or just the alternator itself. They haven't replied yet.
When I eventually get one ordered, I'll post up the new part number for anyone else whose interested.
Did you ask a parts guy or a sales guy? Makes a difference because the sales guys will look at Wholegoods options…

I think I paid about $275 for my complete kit through my local sales guy.