B2601 Hi capacity alternator ...?...

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
What is a normal B2601 alternator amps and what is the hi capacity amps ? Is a hi capacity alternator only necessary if you get all the light options ?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I believe the ROPS version of B series come stock with a 14 amp dynamo, larger B cabbed models come with 30 amp alternator to run heat/AC.

If more lighting is needed (like most do) I'd suggest that you simply swap out the headlights for LED's (inexpensive and easy to do) and add ROPS mounted LED's if needed. The stock dynamo will handle that just fine.

There is a 60 amp alternator kit available should you want to make the switch.

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Stock is a 14.5 amp dynamo. Optional is a 40 amp alternator, at least that's what mine is.

The cabbed B2650/3350 has 60 amp I think. I know in Canada they have the bigger alternator because they come standard with the defrosting wires in the rear windows.

despling

Equipment
B2301-TLB, BH70, LA435 w/QA
Nov 29, 2019
Tucson
Ask the salesperson at your local Kubota dealer to quote you the alternator upgrade kit cost. I upgraded mine using parts from Amazon and Messick’s for just above $200. I have seen similar threads on here where people actually got similar pricing from their Kubota sales guy. If you go to the parts counter, you will pay close to $600. If you are running <30-40W of LED lights, you may be OK with stock dynamo. I also replaced my headlights with LED bulbs that work fantastic and lower the overall amp draw.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Purchased the kit through local Kubota dealer this year and it was $238.00 cdn. Also the listed kit for the B2301/2601 is a B7311. Very easy to install.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I don't know why anyone would piece together a kit from several sources when Kubota sells a bolt on all inclusive kit through wholegoods that is competitively priced. Wholegoods are not sold through the Parts Department. Wholegoods can be found through Sales and is the same option when configuring a new tractor.

From Wholegoods document

Order Code: B7311
Description: 40 Amp High Capacity Alternator Kit
Weight: 10 lbs
Suggested List Price: $192.00

NOTE: I don't have the most recent version, so the cost might different now

Also note B7311 is not a part number, but an order code. Typing B7311 into online sites such as Messick's Kubota Part Number Search will not return anything.

B7311 is used on B2301, B2601, B2320DT/B2320DTWO, B2320DTN-1 to name a few.

For reference, since it was mentioned above this is what is listed for the B2650/B3550

HIGH CAPACITY ALTERNATOR KIT
Order Code: B2655
Description: 90 Amp High Capacity Alternator Kit May be required with some electrical accessories Please see Bulletin PSB-2015-069 for details

MC18841

Equipment
B2601, Loader, Mower, Box Blade
May 28, 2021
Oconomowoc, WI
I believe the ROPS version of B series come stock with a 14 amp dynamo, larger B cabbed models come with 30 amp alternator to run heat/AC.

If more lighting is needed (like most do) I'd suggest that you simply swap out the headlights for LED's (inexpensive and easy to do) and add ROPS mounted LED's if needed. The stock dynamo will handle that just fine.

There is a 60 amp alternator kit available should you want to make the switch

Hello What is 60AMP kit number please. Also, is this for a B2601

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Resurrecting this thread, as I have a couple of questions relating to this kit.

I have a B2601, and I run two electric accessories that have reasonable current draw. One is a 3pt sprayer, the other is a diesel transfer pump (I lift the diesel tank off the trailer with the forks, then transfer into the house heating oil tank using the pump on the portable tank).

For both these activities I tend to have the tractor at idle or off entirely. I also have a reasonable number of tasks where I move the tractor from place to place, turning it off in between while I do a job, then move to the next place. Most of this is relatively low rev work.

My reading tells me that the dynamo has two limitations:
  • The continuous power output is 14 amps (168 watts @ 12 volts), which may be less than some implements/accessories draw - big lights, sprayers, cab heating. I probably don't have this problem, although I suspect the transfer pump is pulling about this
  • The output of the dynamo is very dependent on revs - it probably only puts out the 14 amps when at target revs, if you're running about 1500 revs it may be putting out very little. So idling or running a bit above idle might not keep your battery topped off
The second point is the one that I think is impacting me. Unless I mow (which runs WOT for a half hour to an hour and a half, depending on whether I mow community land or not), or run the chipper (again WOT for half an hour or so) I think my battery is slowly going backwards.

Is this a reasonable assessment, or am I missing something? I'm probably going to get the B7311, I am ordering a B1658 pin-on quick attach for the loader from Messicks, so I could get both at the same time and share shipping.