B2620. How do I live without position control?

rcat8872

Jan 21, 2012
Fayetteville, GA
Hey guys,
Bought a B2620 last year and have been very impressed with it so far...the only problem is that this particular model doesn't have position control. I find it hard to grade my driveway when I can't reset the 3pt hitch to the exact same level after I swing around to make a second pass. My old John Deere had a wing nut that would allow me to reset the 3pt hitch to the same level every time. I am very frustrated and have been looking at the dual blade road graders that I've seen on the internet. Would one of those solve my problem as it seems to just "ride" on top of the ground?
Tks!
Rod

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Buy you a small little C clamp and stick it in place of where you want it to go. Cheap, simple, fast, effective.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Eric thats exactly what I was thinking cant be that hard to dind a home made stop of some sort to use

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Some people can live with the 1/4 inching valve, but I hate it; have one on my BX.

I am missing how the C clamp will work, my mind isn't what it use to be and maybe never was.:(

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Some people can live with the 1/4 inching valve, but I hate it; have one on my BX.

I am missing how the C clamp will work, my mind isn't what it use to be and maybe never was.:(
You are right, the c-clamp will not work on models with 1/4 inching valve! That is a serious fault with the basic "B" models and the "BX" We don't get may complaints about it though! For me it is a PITA.
Ed

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
You are right, the c-clamp will not work on models with 1/4 inching valve! That is a serious fault with the basic "B" models and the "BX" We don't get may complaints about it though! For me it is a PITA.
Ed
Some people learn to live with it either because they have never used position control or have moved from the older BX, so the 1/4 inching valve was an improvement.

I grew up farming with position control then got a BX2200 to replace a lawn mower then got the BX2660 after considering a B2920 and can use one fairly well, I just hate it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was thinking old school on L series or B series where the lift lever for the 3pth hitch kinda slides up and down between 2 pieces of flat steel, like a guide. I've always just controlled the depth of the grade by hand, always keeping a hand on the lever and raise or lower it as needed.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I must be dumber than a box of rocks cause i watched that thing 3 times and i still have no idea what it is?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Skeets, the 1/4 inching valve is so you can operate the 3pt precise for fine work where you want the 3pt to stay at a constant depth, like tilling.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
rcat8872, I tried using a box blade to maintain my gravel driveway and could not get it smooth enough. I always seemed to end up with a lot of "washboarding". I broke down and bought a "grading scraper". It is similar to a box blade but has 2 angled cutting blades that stick about 3/4" below the outside beams. The back is open and allows excess gravel/dirt to spill out the back. The outside beams that the implement rides on is 4 ft. long and thus you do not get the washboarding effect as I was getting with the much shorter box blade. I had seen one operate before and knew what it would do. I have also used mine to level dirt and had good success. Mine is 6' wide and I pull it with an L35 (35hp). It is all the L35 can handle. I drop it to the ground and take off. I don't worry about any position control on the 3pt. Hope this helps. pat

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
I look at this dumb design another example of an engineer that has never operated a tractor. The engineer that designed the ones on my 154 British Leylands knew what they were doing. I can move the 3pt as little as I want by how little I move the lever. Sometimes when you are using a stinger a 1/4" at the 3pt is inches 7' out at the end. This is my biggest complaint on my B6100E.

superdog

Equipment
B7800 TLB, International 3414
Feb 18, 2012
Southeast PA
www.facebook.com
While using this truly is a royal PITA, I have found that once you have it at the height (or depth) that you want it, you just count the amount of times you moved the lever forward (or backward) to reach your desired spot. In other words, after you raise the implement up all the way and turn around for the next pass, you line up the tractor and lower the implement by using the same amount of lever movements each time. Believe it or not, it is pretty accurate. Based on the weight of the unit and once it is mounted, it will lower whatever unit you are using to the same spot each time.

I have a Brush hog and I know that by lifting the unit all the way up and then moving the lever back 7 times, it will be at the height I like to use it at. I just take a magic marker and write down the # of lever movements on each 3 pt unit I use on the PTO cover etc.

The one good thing about the 1/4 inching valve is that it seems to "lock" the arms in place when the lever is moved back to the center position. On other units I have run in the past, when you move the lever back to the same spot each time, it will sometimes drift down, especially if the tractor itself is older or if the controlling valves are worn. This can make your life miserable, as you are forever trying to bump the lever up a hair or two, trying to keep the implement at the same height to compensate. In my case, I would never seem to notice until the end of the run when it was too late, Lol

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
My 1980 B7100 has no inching control but the 3 point will hold it's position when I get it where I want it & move the position control lever back to the Neutral position. Unlike the old Ford 9N & 2N which were Draft only so the hitch was either full up or full down. I have Ford 8N & it's position control works pretty much like the B7100 except I have no Neutral position - the lift & implement stay where they are set providing there is no leak down due to a worn lift cyl. or the piston rings. I suppose the 1/4 inching control would be more accurate but is it really necessary?

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
New Here. Hi!

On my 2002 bx1800, the manual shows where to set a slide on the lowering/raising rod right behind the right rear wheel. Takes about 5 minutes or less once you see it an figure out where you want it to stop. I'll hafta set it once I put my brush hog on so it will drop to the same height every time I raise it for traveling or going over a taller stump or something.

It really doesn't look like a big deal to me, just loosen 1 little bolt in a slide block an slide it where you want it to be an tighten the bolt back up.

bcallaha

Equipment
B7800 w/Loader
Apr 1, 2010
Chandler, Indiana
My quarter inching doesn't appear to be working. I've seen the video on u-tube, and try to mimic what is being done in the video, but as soon as I "tap" the adjusting knob, the 3-pt does down suddenly, not just in small jerks like on the video. Is there an adjustment for this? I have a B7800, which is supposed to have the 1/4" adjustment.

Thanks
Brad

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
My quarter inching doesn't appear to be working. I've seen the video on u-tube, and try to mimic what is being done in the video, but as soon as I "tap" the adjusting knob, the 3-pt does down suddenly, not just in small jerks like on the video. Is there an adjustment for this? I have a B7800, which is supposed to have the 1/4" adjustment.

Thanks
Brad

Look at yer manual. My bx1800 has a knob below an in the front of the seat sheet metal that lets you adjust the speed of the drop down from fast to slow to (lock on mine I think)