B2601 regrets?

rockerin

Equipment
Kubota 2620 HST 2013
Sep 9, 2013
Ontario canada
I'm close to buying a B2601 with a FEL and the backhoe. I'm curious if anyone on this forum has a B2601 and if they have any regrets buying it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help. I'm excited to become part of the Orange community.
I have had a B2601 for 9 years. Do the routine maintenance , oil , rad, grease you will be happy. Use chains all around in snow country , use a loader and a rear snow blower . Takes the place of 3 helpers. Use a rear blade for road work.The only issue is weight. It is a bit light, which is why I recommend tire chains all around which I leave on year round to help with traction, add saline solution to the rear tires for added weight.
This machine starts up easily in minus 25 weather , with a good battery or a booster pac to help.
A good tractor that wont break your bank account.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It’s not my money or my property, but unless you need a mid mount mower I am not sure why you would not be looking at an L. I did not see in the description about mowing. If not mowing then I really wonder why not a mid size or bigger L/MX. I think maybe size of logs or lift capablility might be a consideration. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a B. I love mine and it has its advantages, so does an L or Mx. what do you plan to do with the grapple and pallet forks?

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Welll OK lets see how to explain it. Where I live it is either up hill or down hill ,flat leave not so much. The rear end seems to marrow for as high as the machine is and even traversing a slight grade following the contour it feels like it is comming up on the back on one side. Using the FEL yeah for sure it is tippy she will come up on 3 wheels in a heart beat, and I didnt have a lot on to dump,, and no this isnt my first rodeo. And it scares me to be honest, now aside of the other things I think it is an outstanding machine. So I guess I am going to have to raid the egg money one day and order a set of wheel spacers maybe another 4 inches will make a difference
I don't find mine tippy at all, and I live on top of a hill and there's little flatter land, with most slopes 20%. I do have the rear tires filled.

And I ordered wheel spacers with mine. I thought I was ordering 3" spacers on each side, to really set the tires out, but seem to have gotten 1 1/2" on each side, so setting the rears out a total of 3". But just that little bit changes the look and seems to have helped stability. However, I have not run it without spacers. Have read that setting the rear tires wider is more effective for increasing stability than fluid in the tires. Doing both is optimum for me.

I am one who has complained about reverse on the treadle pedal being too stiff. I am pretty used to it after a year. But there is a thread on OTT about replacing one of the springs. I bought one of them but haven't gotten to it yet.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I’ve had a B2301 (loader, back blade, snow pusher, pallet forks, loaded tires, chains) for a few years. I live on 25 acres on top of a hill.

While I don’t exactly regret buying the machine, I have ordered a larger one (L4701 with loader and backhoe). If the trade in wasn’t so high I probably would regret it.

I like a lot about the B, but here’s what I don’t:
- Sucks in the snow with R4 tires. Four chains is a must in my opinion.
- I always want more loader lift capacity for logs, rocks, firewood bins, and sometimes want for more reach too, especially getting things in and out of my truck (Chevy 1500 with stock suspension).
- Nothing to compare it to, but I find it very tippy.

The little creature comforts like armrests and rubber mat on the deck mean little to me. And I don’t have use for the mid pto as I don’t mow or have a front blower. But the weight, wheelbase, and loader capacity mean a lot. So if it were me, I’d look at an L2501.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sucks in the snow with R4 tires. Four chains is a must in my opinion.
That is a 4 roger, I found out the R4 tires are for a skid loader and will slip on wet grass on the level they call for 40 psi ,, in a tractor tire,, common man, and it has be maybe 4 inches wider in the ass end

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Dec 24, 2020
I moved from BX to B2601, I was a little sheepish on the idea given my generally small wooded property, thinking a B would be too big, overkill, or unmanageable. It's not. I just wish I did it sooner.
This thread came back!

I read what I wrote 13 months ago, and since then... sold the B2601 for nearly a $5000 loss after putting 250 hours on it. Wished it were a little wider. Seat was awful. Operator station cramped. My only complaints, but enough to move me to next size up. Otherwise, was a good very hard working machine.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
This thread came back!

I read what I wrote 13 months ago, and since then... sold the B2601 for nearly a $5000 loss after putting 250 hours on it. Wished it were a little wider. Seat was awful. Operator station cramped. My only complaints, but enough to move me to next size up. Otherwise, was a good very hard working machine.
Hah, I just realized after reading your post that Dec 2020 wasn’t like a few weeks ago. That was 21!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I'm close to buying a B2601 with a FEL and the backhoe. I'm curious if anyone on this forum has a B2601 and if they have any regrets buying it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help. I'm excited to become part of the Orange community.
So, what did you do?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sucks in the snow with R4 tires. Four chains is a must in my opinion.
That is a 4 roger, I found out the R4 tires are for a skid loader and will slip on wet grass on the level they call for 40 psi ,, in a tractor tire,, common man, and it has be maybe 4 inches wider in the ass end
I'm with Skeets. Same area more or less in western PA. Different tractor, but my guess would be the B2910 is similar in size, to the B2601. AND I would bet our land has about the same layout with respect to slopes.

I think if I get spacers, which I will as I need them for chain clearance anyway, I will go with 4" on each side. I took my chains off a few years ago, because I got tired of them hitting the fenders if there was a small shift in position on the tire.

About 10 years ago I tipped the B2910 on its side. In a situation where I never would have expected it. Learned then how unstable these rather narrow and high tractors can be...

I run my loaded R4 tires at about 12 psi. Reminds me I better check them in the spring.

Also decided I will likely buy new chains, as the ladder ones I have now fall between the lugs on the R4 tires too much. Better than nothing, but I desire real chains. Might list the chains here for sale.

Also decided I will be buying chains for the front tires as well. Concluded that the concern often voiced that chains on the front might be a bit exaggerated as far as potential damage to the front end goes.

Also pretty much decided to put chains on the front as well. I think the concerns we read so often about the risk of front end damage with chains on the front tires are likely overestimated.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Hah, I just realized after reading your post that Dec 2020 wasn’t like a few weeks ago. That was 21!
So, what did you do?
I took the most expensive, most difficult route (a pattern in my life) to the correct size machine (for me), which was the LX. I am really happy with the LX. It fills in the gaps where I felt the B2601 fell a little short.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dont get me wrong the 2601 has a lot going for it, there are just a few things that were not well thought out before it went into production the width of rear end with amoung them. I mean really and extra 4 inches really wouldnt make that much difference, maybe in a very tight confined area but out here nope

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Dont get me wrong the 2601 has a lot going for it, there are just a few things that were not well thought out before it went into production the width of rear end with amoung them. I mean really and extra 4 inches really wouldnt make that much difference, maybe in a very tight confined area but out here nope
‘If only a Couple more inches’ …is the story of my life. 😂. Where I work is very different where a millimeter of clearance is considered a mile….I think key point here is solicit lots of feedback from others and learn on the pennies they spent. Buy once if you can.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I wish I'd bought a B2301 or B2601 back in 2013 when my JD 4010 busted its driveshaft Ujoint. At that time, there were no nearby Kubota dealers. Could have easily gone to Winchester like I did for the new B2601 (the now 3 dealers within 35 miles had no FELs).

Two things are not liked so far: very stiff reverse treadle pedal and jerky FEL (too much hydraulic flow?).

Virtually everything else is better than anything on the JDs I've had (4010, 1025R and 2025R), and there are so many other little goodies like protection of the valve stems, etc.

A master gardener friend has a BX23 that he's had since about 2003 with FEL and backhoe like you want/have with the B2601. He has 3,000 hours on it and has only replaced a couple hydraulic connections and the starter. A BX with its lower clearance and exposed hydraulic cooler and fan would not do for me.

Recently saw a video where a B2601 was torn apart to expose its undeneath supports. Its driveshaft is fully enclosed by metal like on the LX.

Some people have mentioned the L. BIG problem with the L01 models is the steering brakes are on same side as the HST treadle. For me, both the L and LX are just too big for many places my machine has to go. The LX had reported sticky treadle pedals and more whine on its HST.