B2601 regrets?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
as well as making a shooting range,
I put one of those in a few years ago with an even smaller BX23...

IMG_0809.JPG

Oops....my "little helper" snuck into this pic...

IMG_0810.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I'll be using it on 20 mostly wooded acres in NE Washington. Sloped property, but not too steep. Nothing to mow. My driveway is over half a mile long, so I'll be maintaining that (snow, gravel, etc.) as well as making a shooting range, digging a ditch for power to come in, cutting wood and clearing some areas. I'm also planning on getting a grapple and forks (both lightweight because of my already low lift capacity). I plan on getting a third function control, wheel spacers, and juice in the tires. I'm thinking R14 tires. Thanks
I’m doing pretty much same stuff you are just have a bit more acreage. I agree with several others you may be better served to move up a frame size to a L. It isn’t so much a HP thing but loader capacity and weight. Doesn’t sound like you need the lighter weight to avoid turf damage. The extra capacity you’ll get with bigger loader is probably worth it if you’re going to do much with the grapple. Like today, I pulled gravel that had migrated toward the ditch on our crowned road back toward the center and smoothed it all up (probably could have done that with a B just as well). Took out a 30’ dead tree about 4” thick that by shoving a grapple under one side to cut of the roots then going to the other side and popping it out of the ground, stump and all, then picked it up and put it on the brush pile to be chipped later. Maybe a B could have done that but I’d sure like to see it. Then off to the creeks to recut the crossings the last flood silted in to the point my dad couldn’t cross with his his 4 wheeler. Dad went to “supervise” as he’s been in rehab most of the time I’ve had the L and had never seen it outside of relatively polite flat land duties. It would have taken at least a day to fix both of them with his 9N and would have required waiting for drier conditions (and been a LOT more dangerous). Took about 25 minutes with the L. Again maybe a B would have gotten it done (particularly if it had a backhoe). I would have really hesitated to charge into that washed out mess with a smaller machine.

I would suggest at least looking at and sitting on something in the L series. Maybe not a 47 but at least a 25.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Amazing what you can do with a BX (and dozer). 😂
If you do not need the mid PTO I would seriously consider a L2501. I have a B2910 and was considering an L2501 as a replacement/companion tractor. The main advantage being extra weight that adds traction.

(I though about my real needs/desires and bought a used mini ex instead of a new tractor/backhoe.)

Reactions: 1 users

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
Make sure you give yourself a test fit, ride and maybe test dig. My dealer had a pile to play on. I road tested 3 different machines. Try on a couple and check the fit for you.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
We all do the "just a little bigger" thing. I just did it by ordering a B2601 instead of a BX. But at some point, you lose the small-is-beautiful functionality that attracted you in the first place.

I look at where frame sizes change. A B2601 is a bit bigger than a BX. But that larger frame size became my limit.

Reactions: 2 users

DS524

Equipment
None (yet!)
Dec 29, 2020
Mid Atlantic
Nim,

In my opinion....... the ONLY thing you will regret ..........
Is NOT buying it years ago
many will tell you not to get the hoe - I like the fact that I have it at all times, ballast on most days for the FEL - but nice to spin around and dig whatever up!
I cannot imagine not getting the BH. I can see using it to lift/maneuver stuff as a crane just as much as using it to dig.

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
I've had my 2601 w/ FEl,MMM,BH for 4 years now. It is a great all around machine and has done everything I have asked of it and then some. It is also great to have access to it whenever I need it, as even workin gin the construction equipment rental industry it is hard for me to get equipment right when I need it!

All that being said, I probably should have forgone the MMM and went with a middle of the road zero turn mower and I probably would have been better served by a used 4-6klb mini excavator, but then that is two more pieces of equipment to take care of. I would probably go up a size for dealing with the amount of property you have, it would really be nice to be able to lift a 2klb pallet with the loader.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I think the B2601 is an awesome tractor and has just about the most "bang for the buck" you can get.

Don't get scared by all the people telling you to go bigger. If you want to spend money, sure go for it. But I have a pic thread showing some pretty big jobs I did with my B2620 and it hasn't let me down yet. Just takes a bit longer than a big tractor.

The money I saved over a bigger tractor paid for a few implements and I still have a tractor that is perfect for lawn mowing and getting around in the bush with a small foot print.

I've also done lots of jobs for people because I could get on their lawns without doing damage, where a bigger tractor could not.

I also just bought a backhoe for mine. Yes they are expensive, and you can get a lot more done cheaper with a rented mini-ex, but I love having the ability now of having a backhoe here any time I need to dig something. I don't have to wait or plan.

Good luck on your purchase.

rickcopes

Equipment
B2601 with Loader, Backhoe, and 54" mower Deck
Mar 29, 2019
Blanchard, Louisiana
Agreed. I have a 2601, 54 inch mmm, FEL, and a BH70. The one thing this did was give me back my life! As the kids got older and moved on, I had to do more and more stuff myself. Lift and moving stuff, digging trenches and holes for animals that died, getting on the roof, raking the yard, Clearing downed trees, all of the stuff that just takes time.
This tractor has been like having 3 other people helping me.

People will yell you that a backhoe isn't worth it, and maybe financially they are right. But when you need to dig, you can do it right then! Digging up stumps only takes some time. Need to pull an engine? Move a few logs or big rocks? You can't put a price on being able to do that. When a storm hits, heck, sometimes I even wish for a downed tree now, just to use the Thumb.

Just be careful of Implement Fever. It will attack you and force you to stockpile all kinds of attachments, hitch systems, piranah bars, lights, levels, rakes, and ground engagement equipment. Eventually you will find yourself looking at pages and pages of quick Attach stuff, and trying to figure out how to fit it on your tractor. Implement Fever will also drain your bank account!

Is it worth it? Oh check yeah!!!

Reactions: 3 users

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
B2601 is a great sized machine. It's a little bigger than the garden tractor sized BX type machine. But at the same time it's not quite as big as the L series.

My major gripes
-The quick-tach loader connection is leak prone
-Treadle pedal is way too stiff (compare it to a L or LX series and you'll be surprised)
-Seat sucks, especially when you get the reversible backhoe seat

Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with my machine. So far I have 60" MMM, pallet forks, rear blade and backhoe. I hope to add a grapple and 3rd function at some point.

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
We bought a new BX2230 in 2005 and it was a great machine, but as the years passed my back and neck was feeling every bump in the yard. We bought a new B2601 late last summer and I am very pleased with the much improved ride from the bigger tires and the cut the mower deck produced. The B2601 is not that much wider than the BX and is still easy to get in and around landscaping. Very pleased with the 2601...

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
I'll be using it on 20 mostly wooded acres in NE Washington. Sloped property, but not too steep. Nothing to mow. My driveway is over half a mile long, so I'll be maintaining that (snow, gravel, etc.) as well as making a shooting range, digging a ditch for power to come in, cutting wood and clearing some areas. I'm also planning on getting a grapple and forks (both lightweight because of my already low lift capacity). I plan on getting a third function control, wheel spacers, and juice in the tires. I'm thinking R14 tires. Thanks
I bought a L3301 2 yrs ago and cleared a 3/4 mile trail amongst 40 acres of wood. If you are going to be in and out of trees and brush look under the tractor you want to buy and see how many things can be damaged. Had the salesman took my use into consideration and knew tractors he would have steered me to the MX series tractor.
I've damaged two hydraulic filters and bent the HST pedal links.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I got mine beginning of December,, and to be honest I don't like it.
Up side has more then enough power for what I need, FEL will do everything I need, the grapple works like a dream and you dont have problems finding toys to hang off it, and it looks real pretty.

NOW dark side. the tram peddle sucks big time, go drive one several times before you buy, the kitchen is way to narrow and hard to find the controls the FEL lever is inthe wrong place when you turn to the right your knee hits it and the bucket dumps not a good thing, and the wheel base is to narrow as well, if you get one find at least 2 inch wheel spacers, it is super tippy in MHO, even with filled tires it is tippy, and if you are on the flat level no problems other wise you are gona be puckered till you get off it.
For my money it was not a good buy, but everything I read showed it to be the right machine for me,, truth be known for me it was not a good buy

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I got mine beginning of December,, and to be honest I don't like it.
Up side has more then enough power for what I need, FEL will do everything I need, the grapple works like a dream and you dont have problems finding toys to hang off it, and it looks real pretty.

NOW dark side. the tram peddle sucks big time, go drive one several times before you buy, the kitchen is way to narrow and hard to find the controls the FEL lever is inthe wrong place when you turn to the right your knee hits it and the bucket dumps not a good thing, and the wheel base is to narrow as well, if you get one find at least 2 inch wheel spacers, it is super tippy in MHO, even with filled tires it is tippy, and if you are on the flat level no problems other wise you are gona be puckered till you get off it.
For my money it was not a good buy, but everything I read showed it to be the right machine for me,, truth be known for me it was not a good buy
Agreed on the knee hitting the loader lever.

Can you say what you're comparing to when you say the B2601 is tippy? Other than the 01, I only have experience with a BX23S. The B2601 with the filled tired feels glued to the ground compared to the BX, which I found to be very tippy.

I actually wouldn't mind my B2601 being an inch or two narrower on the back tires, to better squeeze through some spots.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Welll OK lets see how to explain it. Where I live it is either up hill or down hill ,flat leave not so much. The rear end seems to marrow for as high as the machine is and even traversing a slight grade following the contour it feels like it is comming up on the back on one side. Using the FEL yeah for sure it is tippy she will come up on 3 wheels in a heart beat, and I didnt have a lot on to dump,, and no this isnt my first rodeo. And it scares me to be honest, now aside of the other things I think it is an outstanding machine. So I guess I am going to have to raid the egg money one day and order a set of wheel spacers maybe another 4 inches will make a difference

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Transmission pedal is stiff and I get a sore knee if I drive it for a long time. Agreed on that.

Size of operator platform probably depends a bit on size of operator. I'm a skinny white guy, I find it fine.

I don't find mine tippy, and I mow some reasonably steep banks. The first time I went slow and stopped and rocked at a few points as I inched along the bank. Didn't give any inclination to tip at all - butt pucker says it's tippy, actual use says it's pretty stable. Picture below, it doesn't look steep on first glance, but the tractor is actually on a good 20 degrees angle. Not sure I'd want to be across hillsides much steeper than that, steeper than that you'd want to go up and down rather than across.

But I always take the loader off when on steeps, and that makes a lot of difference - it's more tippy with loader on. I haven't filled the wheels as I'm not generally in favour of filled wheels.

As for loader work, I put the ballast box on for any heavy work. I don't mind too much when the rear wheels lift anyway, the BX always did that, you can feel it coming and stop lifting on the loader. If you weight properly it shouldn't be an issue at all.
TractorOnBank.jpg

Last edited: