B2601 or B2650

matemike

Oct 15, 2016
Brazoria County, Texas
Hello, not my first post, but first new thread. I've been researching compact tractors for a couple months now. Still not ready to pull the trigger, but homework is nearing the end. I'm decided between the B series 2601 vs 2650 and I won't lie here, the Mahindra Max 26 is still on the table.

I live on 2.5 acres and have been getting by for three years now with wheel barrows, a 4 wheeler and my truck bed for all of our large gardening work. Seems like we are always having to add mulch to a few thousand square feet of gardens around the house and pool. We've resorted to having dump trucks deliver it in 6 to 10 yard loads at a time. We usually use wheel barrows to spread the mulch or I've also borrowed the neighbors 75 hp tractor which is extremely useful but cumbersome around the house. Our place also has 10 palm trees that need trimming two times a year and palm leaves aren't small. Needless to say that a burn pile is almost always present. As soon as we burn one down, I gather it all back up by hand tools and start building it up again. A little tractor will suit my needs exponentially well. I'd store it and even use it in my 30x40 shop for lifting things up to my loft or the occasional thing into my truck bed, etc.
FWIW I do not plan to mow with any newly purchased tractor. Currently I have a yard guy who cuts, edges and cleans for an incredible price. My wife and I have both agreed that if he ever leaves our area that we'll buy our own zero turn. The only attachments I think I'd ever get for this tractor is a box blade and maybe a little tiller, so PTO power is not a huge issue to me. The loader capability and the nimbleness of the tractor are my main concerns. My property is south of Houston Texas and nothing but flat San Augustine grass, except where the burn pile is which is outside of the back fence; still on my property but almost down in a ditch. When it's wet the 4wd will be required. For the burn pile area I'm thinking R4's will be my tire of choice.

So just how compact or sub compact will suit me best?

The B2650 is the largest on my list and it has all the bells and whistles with the electronic dash and higher ground clearance and LA 534 loader capable of lifting over 1,000 lbs! I would probably never need that much, but the safety net is there when I do approach lifting heavier things.
The B2601 is probably best suited for me being so nimble and still has plenty of power as far as capacities and capabilities go.

Then, yes, there's the Max26. It's the cheapest, but the Mahindra dealership is further away than Bobby Ford Kubota. I hear the controls will not be as smooth on the Mahindra as they are on the Kubotas. I test drove the Max 26 by myself and did not notice jerky controls, so almost no concern there. My wife and I test drove the B2650 and she liked the size but the controls can in fact be worked to make the tractor jerky. (The dealership did not have a B2601 with a loader attached at the time). Wife and I drove by the Mahindra dealership when they were closed and she stated the Max just looks like a big riding mower and we both didn't like the loader control knob placement, you have to really reach for it whereas on the Kubotas the loader control stick is a short reach from the arm rest (which the Mahdindra does not have).

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
I can't help you compare but I can say that my 2650 has plenty of power and runs great. It is a little bigger than my Kioti ck20 was but it gets into the same areas with ease. Very easy to operate.

matemike

Oct 15, 2016
Brazoria County, Texas
Pics of property for reference:

Front yard (across street) no tractor work, zero turn territory only

backyard, none of the gardens pictured, but you can see the burn pile outside of the fence

Truck doing tractor work!

future tractor parking spot

SUV is in there just for the photo, not normally parked there. But you can see the area outside the fence that I want to clean up with a tractor. It totals a half acre

matemike

Oct 15, 2016
Brazoria County, Texas
Mike,

if you have not ventured here:
http://www.hopfoutdoor.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?veh2=439047&veh1=471282&go=Go

good info -

personally - if the 2650 is "close" in price range - that would be my pick!
85Hokie, thanks.

That site shows the 2601 to have lift capacities of 1,808 lbs. (820 kg) @ lift point and 1,411 lbs. (640 kg) @ 24 in. behind lift point

The brochure I took home shows the LA434 loader to have lifting capacities of 948 lbs at the pins to max height and 659 lbs 19.7 in forward of the pins.

Break out forces are 1521 lbs at the pins and 2144 lbs @ 19.7 in forward of the pins in my brochure.

I know these are all just paper specs and misprints seem to be common with Kubota. But which is it? The link you sent shows the 2601 to be more in line with the max 26 loader abilities, which I have been learning is exaggerated. If the link you sent is correct then the 2601 will probably be my first choice now, especially considering the Kubota dealer has just been so easy to deal with so far.

Shepbear

Equipment
B2650, SSQA 60 inch bucket, QA with BB1260 box blade
Jun 1, 2016
San Tan Valley, Az
Can't help with comparison, but I love my b2650. Does everything I want it to do with ease on my 2 acres. The bells and whistles help make it very comfortable.

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
Generally speaking, you rarely hear about anyone griping about getting too much tractor.... I recently upgraded from a B2400 to a B2650. The B2650 is just as maneuverable as the smaller 2400, but has much more 3pt and FEL capability. The B2601 uses the same size motor as the 2400 did, but they turned up the rpm to gain the 2hp. The B2650 uses the same engine as the 29hp B2920, but they dropped the rpm to 2500 to get their hp rating under the tier4 EPA regs. I can tell you that the 2650 feels much stronger than 2hp better over the 2400. The extra weight of the 2650 works to it's advantage also. I looked at both the 2601 and the 2650...the larger tractor was a better fit for me.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Mike,

Make sure the info is talking about the same thing - FEL and 3-point lift capacities can be confusing. I would trust the info you have in your brochure, seems to me it would be the best info.

What is the price difference between the two ? OUT the door? Both qualify for 0% etc?

matemike

Oct 15, 2016
Brazoria County, Texas
Mike,

Make sure the info is talking about the same thing - FEL and 3-point lift capacities can be confusing. I would trust the info you have in your brochure, seems to me it would be the best info.

What is the price difference between the two ? OUT the door? Both qualify for 0% etc?
This is what I have

Kubota B2601 W/Loader & Canopy………..$17,931 + Tax & Fee’s
0% x 60 payment “around” $ 349.00
Kubota B2650 W/Loader & Canopy………..$19,279 + Tax & Fee’s
0% x 60 payment “around” $ 376.00

Max 26xl W/ Loader & Canopy...............$15,950 = Tax and fee's
Mahindra charges 5.84% for 84 month financing or the price goes up considerably to get 0%. I'd probably just pay cash in full for the Mahindra.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"Mahindra charges 5.84% for 84 month financing or the price goes up considerably to get 0%. I'd probably just pay cash in full for the Mahindra."

Not gonna tell you NOT to get the Mahindra ...........but I would tell you - spend the extra 30 bucks a month and get the B2650....... I will tell you, after about 5 or 6 payments - you'll say "Damn, I'm glad I went with this machine!" That 30 bucks a month will add up - but over time, having a little bigger,stronger machine will be really be money in the bank!:D:)

and ....0% beats the hell out of 5.8% !!!!!!

KubotaVet

Equipment
1942 9N, B2650/Cab
Jan 16, 2017
Northern Minnesota
Well my vote would be for the B2650 but that might be because I just ordered one myself. But I think most people find out that they wished they went a little bigger after buying a tractor.

Also I test drove a Mahindra before buying mine B2650 and I wasn't impressed at all, but each to their own. I could be biased since I've driven compact tractors (as well as larger) for over 30 years and I've ran most brands out there and I've found Kubota to be my favorite.

Just something to think about for whatever you buy. You mentioned lifting things up in your garage. You might want to look at a set of pallet forks with a quick attach loader. Forks are one of the most useful implements you can buy for moving all kinds of things. They can move more than just pallets!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Dont forget the KTAC insurance if you finance. Itll tack on 10-20 per month if your squeezing a certain monthly amount.

If had both 26hp Bs in front of me, Id choose the B2650. Longer wheelbase, stronger hydraulics and larger meats. Lot of extra features for ~2,000

matemike

Oct 15, 2016
Brazoria County, Texas
You mentioned lifting things up in your garage. You might want to look at a set of pallet forks with a quick attach loader. Forks are one of the most useful implements you can buy for moving all kinds of things. They can move more than just pallets!

100% agreed. We assembled my daughters swing set/play house/fort with a friend's tractor and pallet forks. They're as handy as pocket on a shirt. Detachable bucket and set of forks are going to be a must.

So leaning orange (and I was anyway) do you not think the 2650 will be a little overkill for my small 2.5 acres? It's mostly mowed as seen in the pictures. Also agreed it's hard to complain about having too big of a machine and I would hate to have sold ourselves short by going with the 2601.

Last edited:

Scottly

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Jan 24, 2017
Southern Indiana
I purchased a new 2601 in October with a QA FEL and a box blade, for my 2 acres. Wanted to maintain gravel drive, spread some fill dirt, push snow etc. I love it, its all the tractor I need. Loaded a 550 lb. wood stove on a trailer with no issues.
I was able to spread a tri axle load of fill in less than 2 hours and I was scooping it up and dumping in ruts and low spots all around my yard. It worked great.
Dealer filled rear tires which are turfs and delivered for 16,500.

KubotaVet

Equipment
1942 9N, B2650/Cab
Jan 16, 2017
Northern Minnesota
100% agreed. We assembled my daughters swing set/play house/fort with a friend's tractor and pallet forks. They're as handy as pocket on a shirt. Detachable bucket and set of forks are going to be a must.

So leaning orange (and I was anyway) do you not think the 2650 will be a little overkill for my small 2.5 acres? It's mostly mowed as seen in the pictures. Also agreed it's hard to complain about having too big of a machine and I would hate to have sold ourselves short by going with the 2601.
It might be a little overkill but you don't have to use the extra power but you can't add it later. Plus the added lift capacity and stability will always be welcomed.

Last edited:

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
For the most part, I think my needs are similar to what you've described - loader work, tilling, some implement work, maneuverability, strength in a compact size, no need for snow blower, no cab, etc.

I initially looked at the BX and decided that line was too small - might have done the job, but slower than I wanted and not enough lift capacity to make me feel like I wouldn't be left wanting.

Next, I strongly entertained the B2301/2601. I thought this was going to be the tractor for me - decent lift capacity, larger than BX, good implement choice. But then...

I looked at the B2650. First, on it's own at the fair and then side by side along the B2301/2601. For me, it checked all the boxes I was looking for - good compact size for maneuverability, good lift capacities, nice creature comforts, larger frame, etc.

I have 8 acres total, but am currently leasing out 5-6 of those acres with the rest in lawn and horse paddock/pasture. For the most part, this machine is for moving gravel/dirt, tilling, box scraping, (soon to be) post-hole digging and general work that will save my 50 year-old back that isn't getting any younger.

I felt that, for me, the 2650 was at a good middle ground between the B2301/2601 and the larger, entry-level L2501. After reading all the great reviews of the B2650 and using the tractor around my place, I feel like I made a good choice.

Dean

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
I'm using my B2650 on 2.1 acres, but I do mow with it. I stuck with a 60" mmm due to limited space in garage. Only have 35 hours on it so far, but it does everything my B2400 did, but does it easier..and much more comfortably thanks to suspension seat and larger diameter tires. It also mows on my "hill side" in 2wd where the 2400 often needed 4wd to negotiate it.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
I too have small acreage and chose the BX as I also want to haul it without a commercial rig. I also have some water culverts to mow with steep sides and the BX was better for that. Everyone has their own needs. It looks like you have made a good well informed choice. If you can make it work it will. I have used a B21 for the last 15 years a lot and everyone told me I was crazy with what I got it to do. My BX will do the same for me too. Later IF needed I will get a larger tractor 50-75HP for working when I do not need a finish mower or backhoe. Until then I am laughing with the neighbors on their 100-300 fields and 100-175hp tractors. Retirement is nice that way.

pak

Dec 30, 2016
NE, Wa.
I have a B2601 I bought in Oct. 2015. I needed a tractor so I bought the one on the lot with a quick change feature for the FEL. Along with the bucket, I also have pallet forks, back blade, bush hog and a 63" front snow blower. The ag tires have been filled. This package is used mostly for snow removal and this winter has proved it's worth. I mostly do light stuff with except when cutting trees and at times it is too small, but that is not the tractors fault. I have 57 acres pasture and woodland split about half and half. I'll most likely keep it like this. The B2601 has been entirely satisfactory. My neighbor is buying a B2650 after using. BX25 for years. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between the two.

ao9488

Equipment
B2650, FEL, 60" MMM
Oct 27, 2016
Scheller, IL
I have the 2650. I mow ~2 acres (only mowed once since I bought it) but with the amount of trees and terrain I have, its perfect. I upgraded to the B from a 44" zero turn. When I mowed it took about the same amount of time and I imagine will take less and less time as I get a routine. I have a hill that was not easy to mow on the zero turn and in turn was not easy on my yard. So far I've used it as a motorized wheelbarrow, loading it up with fallen trees and dumping it onto my burn pile. This spring I plan on using it to put in food plots and cut trails through the woods. This machine is really capable and surprisingly maneuverable.