B2601 Front axel question

cuboodle

Equipment
B2601
May 9, 2023
PA
Just took delivery a few days ago of my B2601. When checking the front axle fluid level After cooldown I notice a slight pressure "pop" when removing the dipstick. I read its normal I also read the pressure can prematurely wear the seals or cause them to leak. Or does a normal check on the fluid say every few hrs good enough??

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Check all fluids before initial start up and You should be good to go . Also walk around the tractor looking for any possible leaks. 😎

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It seems strange to have a pressure build up in the axle as a normal thing.

My experience (on automobiles) has always been that axles are vented to prevent pressure build up, and if they get plugged that can cause axle seal leaks.

Could it be that the dip stick is a little 'sticky'ish' and causing the popping noise, not actually a pressure build up?

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I might be wrong but doesn't the 2601 have a yellow dip stick to check level and this dip stick has a small hole on the side between the horizontal ribs that is supposed to vet pressure? maybe this hole is plugged.

I had a similar model that this is how it vented. If so maybe snake the hole to make sure its open.

then again maybe not.

cuboodle

Equipment
B2601
May 9, 2023
PA
Could
It seems strange to have a pressure build up in the axle as a normal thing.

My experience (on automobiles) has always been that axles are vented to prevent pressure build up, and if they get plugged that can cause axle seal leaks.

Could it be that the dip stick is a little 'sticky'ish' and causing the popping noise, not actually a pressure build up?
It Could be that, I read that the B2601 is a sealed axle with no breather, they sell some aftermarket dooo hickey that is a breather dipstick.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Leave it be, it's not enough pressure to cause anything more than keeping moisture out of the axle housing.
If it makes you feel good, sure check it every few hours.

cuboodle

Equipment
B2601
May 9, 2023
PA
I might be wrong but doesn't the 2601 have a yellow dip stick to check level and this dip stick has a small hole on the side between the horizontal ribs that is supposed to vet pressure? maybe this hole is plugged.

I had a similar model that this is how it vented. If so maybe snake the hole to make sure its open.

then again maybe not.
It does have a yellow cap dipstick Ill check when I get home on the small hole

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
You may find that the pop you heard is actually the result of the tight fit of the snap-in cover for the front axel; my cover is quite a task to remove since the fit is quite tight. I could easily see a new owner thinking that there is a pressure build-up in the axle due to the fit of the fluid cap.