B2601 and Uhaul Trailers

Whiskey Mike

Equipment
B2601 BX5455HD, RCK60-32,
Feb 16, 2022
Brewer, Maine
Can anyone confirm that a B2601 with snowblower attached 'm could fit in the biggest uhaul 6x12 open trailer. Double axle. I'm guessing +/- 8 ft for the tractor and another 3 for the blower. Still within trailer load limits as far as i can see.

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
When I purchased my used B2620 with Bh I had to rent a car carrier because the open trailer uhaul rental in the area were only for local trips, meaning that it had to be returned to the same outlet as picked up. The tractor was located about 100 miles away and I was not sure I was going to purchase the tractor until I looked it over, and did not want to rent and drag the trailer both ways.
The problem with the car carrier was that the ramps and wheel tracks were wider than the tractor so I had to pick up some 2x6's to lay down to support the tractor, worked perfectly and I need the 2x6's anyways.
Just thought I would share, in case you might need an option.

Reactions: 1 user

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Your not leaving much room to balance the load. The extra tongue weight might not be an issue if the tow vehicle is sufficiently oversized but it's something to consider.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
be really careful with u-haul "equipment trailers", I had an experience with one moving a JD Gator and it was a total CF. I believe it was a 6x12. A lot of the equipment trailers from U-haul will have metal framing at the entry ramp, this is to make the loading opening narrow so people can't load cars onto them. This blocked me from loading the gator, and would block a tractor with a wide attachment such as snowblower from being driven on. You may be able to lift the blower somehow and place it elsewhere, then drive the tractor on separately. If you do end up using an equipment trailer of theirs, verify the actual loading opening.

I would ask for a car trailer and provide them the information for a small car.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
will you be towing with a pickup?

if so remember you could consider:
- unpinning the bucket from FEL and put in truck box which will lighten the trailer tongue weight, lighten trailer OAW and shorten over all load length, etc...
- unhook snowblower and put in truck box to lighten trailer OAW, transfer more weight to the tongue, and shorten over all load length, etc..

both easy to do and loading with FEL and straps should not be difficult.

one or both could make a big difference on such a small trailer.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
From what I recall UHaul provides detailed trailer specs on their website. I used that trailer I think to move my Steiner tractor two years ago. Some of those trailers have oddly shrunken points of entry and could cause a problem. Mine barely made it thru the entry. Have them send someone out to take measurements if in doubt. Good luck.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
be really careful with u-haul "equipment trailers", I had an experience with one moving a JD Gator and it was a total CF. I believe it was a 6x12. A lot of the equipment trailers from U-haul will have metal framing at the entry ramp, this is to make the loading opening narrow so people can't load cars onto them. This blocked me from loading the gator, and would block a tractor with a wide attachment such as snowblower from being driven on. You may be able to lift the blower somehow and place it elsewhere, then drive the tractor on separately. If you do end up using an equipment trailer of theirs, verify the actual loading opening.

I would ask for a car trailer and provide them the information for a small car.
Yup!
DO NOT say that you are transporting a tractor!
Small car only.......is all they need to know.

Reactions: 2 users

Whiskey Mike

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Brewer, Maine
Thanks all. I think that open trailer has a gate opening of 57". Thats not going to work with the blower mounted. It will have to go in the pick up bed. Thats going to be a challenge at what 380lbs?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you rent a U Haul trailer and you lie to them as to what you are going to be hauling with the trailer, if you have an accident, you are on your own for everything cost-wise. They won't rent a trailer for a move of a Corvair, since the engine is in the rear. Also, if you lie to them, your own car insurance is also going to be voided. Find a place that will rent you the proper type of trailer for moving your machine. I know that Ace Hardware stores that rent equipment also have trailers that they rent to get certain equipment home with.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you rent a U Haul trailer and you lie to them as to what you are going to be hauling with the trailer, if you have an accident, you are on your own for everything cost-wise. They won't rent a trailer for a move of a Corvair, since the engine is in the rear. Also, if you lie to them, your own car insurance is also going to be voided. Find a place that will rent you the proper type of trailer for moving your machine. I know that Ace Hardware stores that rent equipment also have trailers that they rent to get certain equipment home with.
I very seriously doubt that your car insurance would be voided.
Simply cannot imagine USAA doing that to me.
Where did you come up with that concept?
No insurance for trailer transport of a rear engine Corvair ( or rear engine Porsche either?)
What is up with that?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
No insurance for trailer transport of a rear engine Corvair ( or rear engine Porsche either?)
What is up with that?
A trailer needs to have at least 10% of its total weight on the coupler, a rear engine car would need to be backed on. That is my guess about the issue.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I very seriously doubt that your car insurance would be voided.
Simply cannot imagine USAA doing that to me.
Where did you come up with that concept?
What is up with that?
I didn't come up with that, U Haul did. If you tell them that the car is a Corvair, they won't rent the trailer to you. Those are their rules, not mine.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I didn't come up with that, U Haul did. If you tell them that the car is a Corvair, they won't rent the trailer to you. Those are their rules, not mine.
I'll bet the enforcement of those "rules" vary from U-Haul location to U-Haul location.
If they don't ask, no need to tell.
If they do ask: ....Then ask why,..... or go to another rental/provider location!
The purported restriction makes absolutely zero sense.
I am absolutely certain that my auto insurance Co. (USAA) would NOT care!

Generally speaking, I have found that if you ask enough questions, or volunteer enough superficial information, you can frequently prompt a response that you do not want!

Last edited:

Whiskey Mike

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Brewer, Maine
Well the operation has concluded successfully. However, several lessons were learned.

*A B2601 will fit a uhaul 6x12 (open)

The smaller blower (BX5455HD) will fit through the gate when mounted.

As pointed out previously by others...

*the opening atop the ramp is restricted on either side. The opening is only 4'9". The blower just made it through with little to spare.

*The overall length with blower was just a little too long. Removing the 3pt hitch provided enough to close the gate.

*The overall length made is difficult to balance the load properly. In the end I backed it on.

*i was clear with uhaul that this was a tractor move. Perhaps the kid was new, they were unconcerned.

*my auto insurance covered the trailer but not the load. Maxxing out the uhaul insurance coveres up to $20K of cargo. Talking with an insurance agent, a change to my homeowners now covers the complete tractor during transport and use.

*I did not like the restricted space between tractor and trailer sides. Very difficult to chain down properly.

*Finally, towing in a snowstorm is really a PITA.

*listen to others and find a real trailer to rent.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well the operation has concluded successfully. However, several lessons were learned.

*A B2601 will fit a uhaul 6x12 (open)

The smaller blower will fit through the gate when mounted.

As pointed out previously by others...

*the opening atop the ramp is restricted on either side. The opening is only 4'9". The blower just made it through with little to spare.

*The overall length with blower was just a little too long. Removing the 3pt hitch provided enough to close the gate.

*The overall length made is difficult to balance the load properly. In the end I backed it on.

*i was clear with uhaul that this was a tractor move. Perhaps the kid was new, they were unconcerned.

*my auto insurance covered the trailer but not the load. Maxxing out the uhaul insurance coveres up to $20K of cargo. Talking with an insurance agent, a change to my homeowners now covers the complete tractor during transport and use.

*I did not like the restricted space between tractor and trailer sides. Very difficult to chain down properly.

*Finally, towing in a snowstorm is really a PITA.

*listen to others and find a real trailer to rent.
Good news,....and good advice!

Check with your homeowners agent about tractor use off your own property, even if not for hire.
Tractor might be covered, but liability will most certainly not be covered.
Doing a friend a favor could become very expensive.

With an intermediate size TLB, I have "friends".
I simply tell them that I have no insurance of any type for use off my property.
If they need a hole dug, I will be happy to do it for them, if they first bring the hole over to my place.;)

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
nice it worked out for you !
re: *Finally, towing in a snowstorm is really a PITA.
Had to chuckle about that, thanks !
BTDT a few times, sigh.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
A trailer needs to have at least 10% of its total weight on the coupler, a rear engine car would need to be backed on. That is my guess about the issue.
I used to back my tractor onto my 16ft dove tail. Besides getting everything to fit better, it also got the weight distributed better on the trailer for a more comfortable ride and towing experience.