B26 backhoe ripper option

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Really blessed to have the B26 TLB with all three QA buckets. This size machine has been the best for repairing and maintaining the >mile of underground utility lines on the farm. For seven years looked for a ripper for the backhoe. Never seen one that wasn’t owner custom made. Never seen the attachment ears other than Kubota Wholegoods.

Tried to get BXpanded to make one. Local company that made custom piranha bar for the M59. No on the ripper. Their ripper for the BX and other small tractors couldn’t take the B26 added strength.

Bought QA ears from Kubota ($$) to make my own. Never found suitable metal or suitable option.

Recently got ripper for the M59 with KX-040 QA that’s works great. Not all that big or heavy, 160#. Could I use those QA ears for the B26 to make an adapter to mount with any of the KX-mini excavator QA attachments? Searched the internet and found no match.

In the process now of making the adapter to test the idea. Hopefully members input can help me avoid too many prototype mistakes. Allowing clearance for thumb articulation an issue. Has room to incorporate a receiver hitch. Added distance from adapter and size of ripper might be able to strike the boom a con. Ripper shank 24.5”

Might not be the best ripper option for the B26 but the adaptability to a ever growing list of attachments for the KX-mini excavators is intriguing.

Worst case it doesn’t work well but still can use adapter to make a dedicated ripper.

Reactions: 1 user

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
IMG_2644.jpeg
IMG_2645.jpeg
IMG_2646.jpeg

Made some progress. Coupler for attaching KX-miniX complete. Locating the 4-3” pucks and cross tube for rear pin a challenge. Six points to align really needs a jig to locate and hold when welding. I’m not a machinist or welder so cut holes in the plates so I could inset 1/4” and weld the pucks from both sides for strength.

B26 OEM quick attach ears need located, trimmed, and welded. New at this so going to clamp or tack and try on machine to fit. Fitting backhoe easy. Allowing thumb articulation a trick.
Should also be room for a receiver hitch too.

Reactions: 1 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Nice job, there are a lot of KX40 attachments available, now you will be able to use them with your B26

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nice job, there are a lot of KX40 attachments available, now you will be able to use them with your B26
My 2006 Kubota L48 TLB came to me( used) with the (very rare OEM on L48 TLB) Q/A system.
Attachments for the Mini-Ex group - 033/040/71/91/121/U35 all fit my L48 TLB.
I love it!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Very nice!!!!

The only thought I have is why do you have that tube for the QD pin running all the way across?

Just spitballing here, but if that tube gets dinged, you might have a problem removing/installing the pin.

Regarding the hitch receiver, maybe place it on the outside like this'ish ?

idea 2.jpg

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Very nice!!!!

The only thought I have is why do you have that tube for the QD pin running all the way across?

Just spitballing here, but if that tube gets dinged, you might have a problem removing/installing the pin.

Regarding the hitch receiver, maybe place it on the outside like this'ish ?

View attachment 101047
Appreciate the input.
The KX coupler uses a tube and makes easy pin guide and insertion. Does give some rigidity to the coupler. Thinking some of the receiver supporting tubing between the ears will too.
Hope to cut down the B26 ears to give the closest fit that will not interfere with the thumb.
Competing spring work gives ample time to consider progress. Keep the suggestions coming!

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Sunday funday!

Got the ears tacked on to try on the B26.
IMG_2656.jpeg
IMG_2657.jpeg
IMG_2658.jpeg
IMG_2659.jpeg

It will weigh about 65#.

While waiting for my wife to finish mowing with the B26, decided to sharpen the leading edge of the ripper. From a poster on TBN.
Pferd 61201 5" CC-Grind-Solid 7/8" A.H. - SG for Steel https://a.co/d/95UmDIQ

Removes material fast with little pressure. Took <20 minutes to reduce 1” AR400 edge to about 1/4”. Old bones appreciate less strain.
IMG_2664.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sunday funday!

View attachment 101943 View attachment 101944 View attachment 101945 View attachment 101946
It will weigh about 65#.

While waiting for my wife to finish mowing with the B26, decided to sharpen the leading edge of the ripper. From a poster on TBN.

Removes material fast with little pressure. Took <20 minutes to reduce 1” AR400 edge to about 1/4”. Old bones appreciate less strain.
View attachment 101949
Obviously, you must feel that thinning/tapering/sharpening the edge of the ripper will make a meaningful difference.
I do like the idea!
Thanks for the grinding wheel suggestion - $8.58 0n Amazon

Did the TBN poster only recommend the grinding wheel, or did he also have an opinion about the improved (?) sharpened ripper edge ?
(I do not do TBN anymore)

Last edited:

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Ever since i heard it said (didnt have to learn this one the hard way!) that you shouldn’t plasma cut a hole that you’re going to run a drill bit through because the plasma hardens the metal, ive wondered if ‘bevelling’ the front of my ripper with the plasma cutter wouldn’t be better than grinding on it. For one thing there’s no way id do it straight so it would end up finely ‘serrated’ and it might hold up slightly better. This wouldnt work on a 1” thick ripper without a heck of a plasma cutter but i could do my ripper just fine.. maybe ill get around to testing the theory someday.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Obviously, you must feel that thinning/tapering/sharpening the edge of the ripper will make a meaningful difference.
I do like the idea!
Thanks for the grinding wheel suggestion - $8.58 0n Amazon

Did the TBN poster only recommend the grinding wheel, or did he also have an opinion about the improved (?) sharpened ripper edge ?
(I do not do TBN anymore)
Only about the grinding disk in the welding topic section.

Mixed feelings on edge. Rather break instead of cut roots. My technique of finding large branch roots 10-12’ out and fold to break them back toward the stump. Using the lever arm of the root to help break it. Have plenty opportunities to find out.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Only about the grinding disk in the welding topic section.

Mixed feelings on edge. Rather break instead of cut roots. My technique of finding large branch roots 10-12’ out and fold to break them back toward the stump. Using the lever arm of the root to help break it. Have plenty opportunities to find out.
Thank you!

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Ever since i heard it said (didnt have to learn this one the hard way!) that you shouldn’t plasma cut a hole that you’re going to run a drill bit through because the plasma hardens the metal, ive wondered if ‘bevelling’ the front of my ripper with the plasma cutter wouldn’t be better than grinding on it. For one thing there’s no way id do it straight so it would end up finely ‘serrated’ and it might hold up slightly better. This wouldnt work on a 1” thick ripper without a heck of a plasma cutter but i could do my ripper just fine.. maybe ill get around to testing the theory someday.
Even my Hypertherm 45 can gouge and remove pounds of material quickly.

This new disk doesn’t heat up like others. Like cold cut saws doesn’t like or need pressure to cut.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Sunday funday!

View attachment 101943 View attachment 101944 View attachment 101945 View attachment 101946
It will weigh about 65#.

View attachment 101949
What's the length of your ripper?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What's the length of your ripper?
From his picture, the brand of ripper that Smokeydog has is 24" or 24-1/2"
I want max depth, and just ordered one made by "Ox Thumbs" that is 28"

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm making a design for one based on my bucket geometry putting it around 22". It feels like it might be a little short but I don't want and accidental contact with my boom. I also want it to mate with my thumb setup.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm making a design for one based on my bucket geometry putting it around 22". It feels like it might be a little short but I don't want and accidental contact with my boom. I also want it to mate with my thumb setup.
I ordered the "Ox Thumbs" 28" ripper yesterday( $ 0uch)
Using current bucket length measurements for comparison, the 28" ripper length should not have a boom contact issue.
We shall see, when it arrives.....120 lbs. via UPS, ....next week?
I wanted maximum ripper length, to catch deeper roots.