B26 backhoe Outrigger cylinder guard.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Liked the guards on the M59. Protects against rocks and inadvertent bucket strikes. Added steps that really helped climbing up and down.
IMG_2505.jpeg

M59 outrigger

Used 5” x 17” long square tubing cutting in half long ways.
IMG_2724.jpeg

IMG_2721.jpeg

1.5” and 2” flatbar for slides.
IMG_2722.jpeg

One of four steps.
IMG_2720.jpeg

Cylinder perches that will be welded to the cylinders. The slide bars will go thru these.

Don’t need to be this heavy gauge steel necessarily but using material on hand. Work in progress.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Can you lift the outriggers with those on? I ask because I’m always lifting mine up to move along as I dig the trench.
They look great!

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
View attachment 106048

Parts fabricated ready for fitting.
I am just thinking about you welding to the sides of the cylinders. I wonder if you will distort the cylinders a little doing it and possibly cause internal leakage? i Have attached a few things to my loader mounts using heavy exhaust clamps, if you welded your project to them and clamped them on?

Just know I tend to distort things sometimes in my welding.

Bill

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
I am just thinking about you welding to the sides of the cylinders. I wonder if you will distort the cylinders a little doing it and possibly cause internal leakage? i Have attached a few things to my loader mounts using heavy exhaust clamps, if you welded your project to them and clamped them on?

Just know I tend to distort things sometimes in my welding.

Bill
Exactly right.
The bases are 2.5”squares tube pieces. Plan on tacking then making 6, -0.5” welds. After each weld cool with water soaked rag and cycle the cylinder. Repeat 6 times per cylinder. Trying to minimize warp and heat to the cylinder seals and oil.

Reactions: 1 user

hoot owl

Equipment
L2501 with loader and backhoe
Nov 13, 2022
Wish I had your skills. I broke a hose on my BH77 the first week I had it. Caught the hose with a root on a tree stump.
I would like to see how you have it connected to the cylinder end?

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Wish I had your skills. I broke a hose on my BH77 the first week I had it. Caught the hose with a root on a tree stump.
I would like to see how you have it connected to the cylinder end?
I caught one outrigger hose on a heavy grapevine and tore that off. That was the day I started buying some spare emergency hoses and fittings. Some are longer but can get me back to the garage to order the right one for another day.

Bill

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Welded on cylinder perch/slide and heavy all thread nut to the rod.

Tack in place to check Fitment with the guard. Cooled each weld with water and blow dry with air. Had to grind a small notch in the operating deck for clearance. Made small short welds, cooling and drying after each. Peened the welds with ball peen hammer to help reduce stress from rapid cooling.
IMG_2754.jpeg

Little orange paint.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Welded on cylinder perch/slide and heavy all thread nut to the rod.

Tack in place to check Fitment with the guard. Cooled each weld with water and blow dry with air. Had to grind a small notch in the operating deck for clearance. Made small short welds, cooling and drying after each. Peened the welds with ball peen hammer to help reduce stress from rapid cooling.
View attachment 107483
Little orange paint.
Looks great so far!

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
IMG_2755.jpeg

Other side done. Guards fitted drilled and steps welded. Now in paint shop. Design. Is very forgiving as I’ve made lots of mistakes. Aligning by eye with sweat filled trifocals. Not perfect but neither is most fabrication. Just got to know how to make it work.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Got the mega pads and cylinder guards installed. Extra steps climbing helps this grandpa.
IMG_2757.jpeg
IMG_2759.jpeg
IMG_2758.jpeg
Don’t need to dig this high usually. Hillside, creek, ponds the extra travel helps. Same with loading a truck.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Finger greased the slides with some water resistant grease. Probably good for the next 20 years. Doesn’t have to be a tight fit and the metal I used is at least 2X as heavy as the M59 guards. Stored inside.

The steps help tremendously. Really as important as the guards. Even if the seat rotates, really can’t climb over on this tractor or small machines. Bigger backhoes I can rotate the seat and climb up and down as a normal tractor.