B2400 power steering

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I guess they kept changing the seal to try and fix their design flaw. Apparently didn't work so they must have completely redesigned the unit. That's why they want you to by a whole unit.
What I did was take the oring and backer to a hydraulic shop that works with cylinders and rotational seals. They took measurements and had their supplier make them.
That seems to be the only option.
Much less than 2k.
Mine actually are a little too big so they have to try again.
Hopefully you will have better luck.
I've attached a picture of one of them.
Albeit not correct but you'll get the idea.
Hopeful I was of help.
Keith

Attachments

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
I guess they kept changing the seal to try and fix their design flaw. Apparently didn't work so they must have completely redesigned the unit. That's why they want you to by a whole unit.
What I did was take the oring and backer to a hydraulic shop that works with cylinders and rotational seals. They took measurements and had their supplier make them.
Much less than 2k.
Hopeful I was of help.
Keith
Thanks for the help. I have a hydraulic shop in town and can ask them about having some made. Could you tell before reassembly that they were too big, or did it just leak again?
I wonder if the later seals will actually fit my case?
Chris

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Much less than 2k.
Hopeful I was of help.
Keith
Thanks for the help. I have a hydraulic shop in town and can ask them about having some made. Could you tell before reassembly that they were too big, or did it just leak again?
I wonder if the later seals will actually fit my case?
Chris
I could tell once I removed the original oring. As I said before the nylon backer I sanded down and put in worked but was not actually for rotational sealing so it oozed past a bit.
Last nite I actually tore into it again and could see the new ones were too big. They measure almost 2mm bigger. Have to try and get it straightened out tomorrow. The size on the paperwork and what they actually ended up being are different. Hopefully won't charge me again.
I'll update when I get it straight.
Keith

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
Much less than 2k.
Hopeful I was of help.
Keith

I could tell once I removed the original oring. As I said before the nylon backer I sanded down and put in worked but was not actually for rotational sealing so it oozed past a bit.
Last nite I actually tore into it again and could see the new ones were too big. They measure almost 2mm bigger. Have to try and get it straightened out tomorrow. The size on the paperwork and what they actually ended up being are different. Hopefully won't charge me again.
I'll update when I get it straight.
Keith
Hope they get them fixed for you. Do you know what material they used to make them? I would have thought teflon, but maybe a tougher form of nylon? I will definitely be interested in hearing how it all came out.
Chris

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Hope they get them fixed for you. Do you know what material they used to make them? I would have thought teflon, but maybe a tougher form of nylon? I will definitely be interested in hearing how it all came out.
Chris
Latest update. Changed course of action. Instead of trying to find the seal for the groove. I found a hydraulic cylinder/machine shop who came up with a seal same inside diameter slightly larger outside diameter and a little thicker. They successfully chocked my housing up in their lathe. They are machining the groove to match the seal and will fit it for me.
Success or not ? Will know in a day or so.
Keith

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One thing that I have read is that there is a wear issue ion the trust collars that will make the seals "pop" out and leak.
So check the thrust collars for wear and replace accordingly.

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
One thing that I have read is that there is a wear issue ion the trust collars that will make the seals "pop" out and leak.
So check the thrust collars for wear and replace accordingly.
I am not sure what you mean by thrust collar. The seals in question are higher pressure plastic rings with an o-ring backer.
Thanks,
Chris

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
Latest update. Changed course of action. Instead of trying to find the seal for the groove. I found a hydraulic cylinder/machine shop who came up with a seal same inside diameter slightly larger outside diameter and a little thicker. They successfully chocked my housing up in their lathe. They are machining the groove to match the seal and will fit it for me.
Keith
That is a very different direction! I did a bunch of calls today and the only option for me is to have some seals made or buy a salvaged unit for $1200. It looks like even the later model seals and full units are not available anymore. I hope your new solution works. If it does, I would be interested in seeing if I could hire them to do the same.
Chris

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
Keith
Here is a picture of my seals. The plastic seal broke in half when I attempted to remove, so I guess that explains why it wound't seal. It is 28mm OD, approximately 22mm ID, and 2.1mm width. Is that a similar size to your original?
I am also looking at replacing the piston seal. Have you tried that one?
Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Here is a picture of my seals. The plastic seal broke in half when I attempted to remove, so I guess that explains why it wound't seal. It is 28mm OD, approximately 22mm ID, and 2.1mm width. Is that a similar size to your original?
Thanks,
Chris
Thanks,
Chris
Size is exactly the same. Piston seal I did not attempt. Appears to be actually brass or bronze. I left well enough alone on that.
Keith

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
Size is exactly the same. Piston seal I did not attempt. Appears to be actually brass or bronze. I left well enough alone on that.
Keith
Yeah, I probably should have just left mine alone. I popped mine off and hopefully I can reuse it. I believe it is bronze or brass impregnated, but definitely still plastic.

Last edited:

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
Keith
Went to my local hydraulic shop and they were going to order a seal that sounds like the first one that you sanded down. They said they could get the housing machined like you are having done. If you don't mind, could you share the seal number you are machining to?
Thanks,
Chris

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
After calling Kubota for a drawing to have one custom made (which was a no...) they provided me with a list of companies that deal in obsolete Kubota parts. I call all of them on the list and struck out with their inventory. The last company I called was Eberhard Equipment who located one at a Kubota dealer in Kansas (which I ordered tonight). I called multiple Kubota deals in the US, who all said they checked the entire Kubota dealer network, but came up with nothing. I guess they are not all connected after all.
Chris

Plow Boy

Equipment
B2400, L4740
Apr 4, 2022
NE Texas
Dont mean to steal your post but I'm about to deal with a similar leak. Questions, can the top sector be rebuilt in the tractor by pulling the top cap? Why would a previous repair have tack welded these floor mounting bolts? Mine is a early 70457 serial number any ideas on seal part numbers? Thanks for any feedback.
IMG_7445.JPG

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Dont mean to steal your post but I'm about to deal with a similar leak. Questions, can the top sector be rebuilt in the tractor by pulling the top cap? Why would a previous repair have tack welded these floor mounting bolts? Mine is a early 70457 serial number any ideas on seal part numbers? Thanks for any feedback.
That's really odd, someone has swapped out bolt that are supposed to go in from the top with bolts in from the bottom?

I would say somethings not right, I'm betting those bolts are SAE bolts.

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
That's really odd, someone has swapped out bolt that are supposed to go in from the top with bolts in from the bottom?

I would say somethings not right, I'm betting those bolts are SAE bolts.
I'm not ignoring you. Haven't had time to look up what I did. I'll get to as soon as I can. Working like crazy,even though I'm supposed to be retired. My son playing HS baseball which fills my nights.
Keith

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I'm not ignoring you. Haven't had time to look up what I did. I'll get to as soon as I can. Working like crazy,even though I'm supposed to be retired. My son playing HS baseball which fills my nights.
Keith
Sorry I took so long but the seal number i used is AS231E-22mmb. Had groove in housing machined to fit it. Most others are available from kubota. There were a few of the bigger o-rings had to match up as they weren't available. Don't remember which they were.
Keith

Pakmak

Equipment
B2400
Aug 24, 2023
Michigan
Sorry I took so long but the seal number i used is AS231E-22mmb. Had groove in housing machined to fit it. Most others are available from kubota. There were a few of the bigger o-rings had to match up as they weren't available. Don't remember which they were.
Keith
Hello Ktrim. Having the same leaking issue. Can you please advise if seal AS231E-22mmb fixed your leak?

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Hello Ktrim. Having the same leaking issue. Can you please advise if seal AS231E-22mmb fixed your leak?
It did not completely stop the leak, greatly lessened it, but did not stop it.
I ended up finding another whole unit at auction. I won it for around 60 bucks, bolted it in and haven't had an issue with it to date. Haven't had the free time to take the original one apart again to see what else cam be done to improve it.
Possibly Wolfman is onto something with the thrust colar issue. But like I said I haven't had time to investigate. Sorry I was of little help.
Keith