B2320 temp gauge

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Hi, I just bought a b2320 and used it for an hour or so doing light work and the temp gauge hardly moved at all, it was still on the black line near the C. I even opened the hood to see if the hose from radiator was hot and it was just warm.
Is this normal?? It was -5c outside so not super cold.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi, I just bought a b2320 and used it for an hour or so doing light work and the temp gauge hardly moved at all, it was still on the black line near the C. I even opened the hood to see if the hose from radiator was hot and it was just warm.
Is this normal?? It was -5c outside so not super cold.
23F is a bit nippy for outside work for whimps like me!:D;)

However - the diesel does not make heat like a gas engine, and in the winter it does take a good bit of work to get them up to temperatures.

Go back and work the engine harder - I think you will see the gauge move, now if the gauge does not move - use a infrared thermometer and check out the actual temps around the radiator and head areas. You could have a bad gauge- but I dont think that is the case.:)

I do notice that my B7100 will run 30 degrees cooler when doing light duty than when working hard.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
They definitely run cool in the wintertime. Get the IR thermometer, useful tool, for a tractor, or BBQ grill! :D:D

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
It would be pretty hard to get heat from it if I had a cab on it! This could be an issue down the road when I do get one
There are several things you can do to increase the engine temperature for better performance and more heat to a cab:
1. Use a block heater – The tractor will start better and come up to temperature faster. After using the block heater, by the time I allow the tractor to warm up 5 to 10 minutes I have heat coming out of the heater.
2. Block off some of the radiator air flow – On my BX the radiator cooling inlet is under the steering wheel and inside the cab.:eek: I block it off to reduce air flow through the cab and to the radiator.
3. Pipe the heater to the radiator bypass – By using the bypass for the heater you have heat as soon as the engine starts warming up.
4. Load up the engine – Snow blowing and snow blowing heavy snow or more than a couple of inches of light snow, I can load the engine to the point I have to slow down to maintain engine rpms. With the engine fully loaded it will put out heat.

:cool: