b2150 hydro problems

kubotab2150

Equipment
L35 hoe,,fel phd, b-hog,wood splitter
Dec 26, 2017
mohnton, pa usa
I have b2150HST that ran fine till last week, I have no use of the fel, front or back or 3 pt lift, PTO is fine, starts and runs fine, so hydro problems, it is filled up and no sign of leaks, could the pump be only option here, is there a valve shutoff or possible clog somewhere ? I am a somewhat novice so please excuse my lack of description clarity, my first post. Thank you in advance.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have b2150HST that ran fine till last week, I have no use of the fel, front or back or 3 pt lift, PTO is fine, starts and runs fine, so hydro problems, it is filled up and no sign of leaks, could the pump be only option here, is there a valve shutoff or possible clog somewhere ? I am a somewhat novice so please excuse my lack of description clarity, my first post. Thank you in advance.
See this thread http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19473

kubotab2150

Equipment
Dec 26, 2017
mohnton, pa usa
Ok I have not disconnected any hoses or anything, I always keep my fel attached, tis thread appears to be about a hose installed in different points

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
So you parked it up a week ago and then went to use it again and no hydraulics at all?
Does the transmission want to drive, push forwards or back with the implements on the ground?

kubotab2150

Equipment
Dec 26, 2017
mohnton, pa usa
I assume because it is a HST is why it does not go forward or reverse, because this uses the hydros, so yes no forward reverse, up down on few, no 3 pt lift , it starts and PTO works thats it

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Still no answers from anyone? It seems like a hydro pump to me but I am at a loss please help
On some Kubota's ( a BX for example) they use the return flow from the main hydraulic pump as charge for the hydro-static so on them a failed hydraulic pump would cause the hydrostatic to fail as well. However, on your tractor the hydraulic pump services the power steering, the loader and the three point hitch and has nothing to do with the operation of the Hydrostatic except that they share the same reservoir ( the transmission case) and the same oil. The only thing that could cause both systems to fail at the same time would be if there was no oil in the transmission or both screens were plugged

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
What causes besides really bad fluid, does this unit have wet brakes that may have failed and blocked both?

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
What causes besides really bad fluid, does this unit have wet brakes that may have failed and blocked both?
No, The B2150 doesn't have wet brakes. His transmission service might be way past due, And many people just change the oil and spin-on filter and neglect to look at the suction strainer. The fact that the PTO works tells me that the drive is getting into the transmission and through the HST. The hydraulic pump is on the engine though.

PW1967

Equipment
1993 kubota b2150hsd, fel, back hoe, log spliter
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
The fact that you lost foreword and reverse drive and fel and 3 point leans toward a flow or pressure problem from the engine mounted pump. Do you have anyway of checking the line pressure from the pump? Did your tractor just quit suddenly or was it a gradual loss of power. Have you checked the diverter valve down by your right foot. I’m not sure if that will effect your drive or not but can cut off flow to fel. Does it have power steering and working or not ?

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
Just my 2 cents,
On my B1750 the hydraulic pump is mounted on the engine. So whenever the engine ran the pump makes pressure. A driveshaft from the engine through the clutch drives the hydrostat.
These are 2 separate systems that only share the transmission for a sump and the cooler at the radiator.
I would check the sump and suction screens and drain the transmission into a clean container to inspect the fluid.

kubotab2150

Equipment
Dec 26, 2017
mohnton, pa usa
Is their a step by step video I can watch that would show me the filter change and proper checks for clogged lines or suction strainer. etc needed to do, I am def a novice but want to try some things on my own. This loss was sudden, one week I had it next no movement at all. The tractor starts and runs fine

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
There is oil in the transmission for sure?
Was there any abnormal noise when you used it last?
How did it actually fail, was working fine and parked up, then went to use it and no go at all, or did it start to slow etc., over how long, or something else?

The oil strainer which will be on the main line from pump to transmission (bigger suction line), the big bolt holding that line on contains the filter screen. Drain the oil first.

Other possibility, you have a stripped coupling in your main hydraulic pump, as the main pump supplies oil for the hydraulics and the transmission.

Not likely but a long shot/possibility, a big air leak to the suction side the pump from the oil cooler or suction hose fitting.
Does the power steering work at all?
Flow priority valve failed and all oil being redirected to steering and back to tank?
Parts layout here
https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/
EDIT: Just found a service manual online, it shows 2 separate suction strainers, one for the main pump, and one for the charge pump, as well as a HST filter. (This is for the 1550 & 1750) The diagram I was looking at had only showed a single suction strainer, and the main pump supplying the transmission with oil.(Correct for the 2150) Still need to check filter screens/fluid/HST filter. What is the exact model and serial number of your tractor?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model tractor uses a charge line that is powered by the main Hydraulic pump to "charge the HST pump", so if the main pump is out so is the HST.

Pull the Hydraulic pump off the motor, you need to check the drive for the pump, and the pump, most likely something is stripped or broken in there. ;)

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
It is the 2150HST
I had the very same problem when I had my B2150. It turned out to be the high pressure hydraulic pump on the left side of the engine,,, I replaced it and all was well once again... worked for me

Oh yes one more thing... when it failed it gave no warning... one second it was perfect and when I got on it the next time... started right up but turned out to be a motorized door stop.