B2150 dual stage clutch diff from single?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I mentioned not long ago that I had noticed my 2150 was very hesitant about getting underway in high range high gear. It was suggested that I check alignment, but it appears to engage well before topping out, and it seems to have the 2 stage clutch.

I did some casual looking for clutch rebuild parts and found I'm looking at over $600 for the dual clutch, but would be less than $300 for the single stage.

From what (little) I know, the dual clutch will be of little or no use to me, so I'm wondering how much difference there is between them?

For instance, from a purely mechanical and cost perspective, is it practical to switch from dual to the single stage?

Would I be giving up something significant that I don't know about? Something that would be worth $300 more?

I have read that the 2 stage clutch can be problematic adjusting, and one post suggested getting the service manual and following it due to the apparent difficulty/complexity. I have yet to find a description of the process, which may support that point. Which means I could easily be wrong about adjustment being ok, so maybe that IS my problem. Any suggestions on this front?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can't change a Dual clutch tractor to a single clutch, as the transmission has 2 input shafts, PTO and Drive.

If the clutch is working but just slipping on just the drive you could just put the clutch disk in it without replacing the pressure plate section, that will save you a bunch of money!

Have you downloaded the parts manual off of Kubotabooks.com?
That will help you sort a lot of things out too.

You can get the instructions for the L2350 Dual clutch so you could see how it's done, http://golftechs.net/jtest/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=28:manuals&Itemid=6

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Hey Wolfie I usually agree with you but that advice about just going with a disc is really penny wise and pound foolish.
After all the work involved splitting the tractor to just put in a disc and not fix it correctly is surely not going to save money in the long run.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I know and I do have to agree with you, I should have put a warning in there, it is foolish not to do it all while it's apart.:eek:
I was just thinking it would get him going for minimal cost and would buy him some time.:cool:
Besides that it's not like he's going to move snow with it,:p About the only thing I miss from Phoenix!;)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Besides that it's not like he's going to move snow with it,:p About the only thing I miss from Phoenix!;)
LOL.

Thanks guys, I figured as much (on going dual to single), but just thought it would be worth asking since I don't see value to me in the dual function.

As for clutch only, yeah, not for me. If I go in there, everything in the vicinity will be replaced with new. I've learned that lesson enough times that it (usually) sticks now.