B2150 4WD Front Bevel Gear Replacement Help

Mr. Z

Sep 27, 2016
Massachusetts
The front axle on my B2150 HST 4WD (circa 1993) went from making a banging noise to locking up on the right side very quickly. Disassembly revealed that the bevel gears are all chewed up. Pictures attached.

My parts book says the gears are part numbers 66371-56650 and 66371-56710. Both seem to have been superseded by part number H6630-91100 (KIT BEVEL 13-14), which is more expensive than I expected but seems to include both gears (the service manual refers to them as 13T and 14T).

Does anyone have any tips for this replacement? Any thoughts on what might have caused this? Any recommendations for other parts to replace now that I have it all apart?

Finally, the chamber containing the gears was dry upon disassembly. That seems wrong, however I can't find any reference to lubrication in the service manual.

All advice greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Mr. Z

Sep 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Do you have a leak somewhere?
If I have more than one leak, can I answer that with a no?

But yes, there are leaks. I'm pretty sure, however, that those bevel gears are above the fill port on that side (I've drained and refilled before), and the gears showed no indication of any lubrication this century.

Mr. Z

Sep 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Whelp, on further inspection I discovered that the bottom bevel gear case is also chewed up, so much so that it won't hold oil (or even the dust seal). Picture attached.

I also found one bearing totally disintegrated and a second damaged. I think one of the bearings came apart and damaged the case, causing the bevel gears to separate enough to cause the damage. There also may be a missing snap ring.

The necessary parts will cost about half what I think the machine is worth, so I'm considering reassembling it without the gears on that side. But I don't understand differentials enough to know what that will do to the front wheel drive.

So here's the big question. If I disable one side of the front wheel drive, will the other side still function?

Attachments

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
So here's the big question. If I disable one side of the front wheel drive, will the other side still function?[/QUOTE]

No you can not disable one side and have the opposite side function.

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Whelp, on further inspection I discovered that the bottom bevel gear case is also chewed up, so much so that it won't hold oil (or even the dust seal). Picture attached.

I also found one bearing totally disintegrated and a second damaged. I think one of the bearings came apart and damaged the case, causing the bevel gears to separate enough to cause the damage. There also may be a missing snap ring.

The necessary parts will cost about half what I think the machine is worth, so I'm considering reassembling it without the gears on that side. But I don't understand differentials enough to know what that will do to the front wheel drive.

So here's the big question. If I disable one side of the front wheel drive, will the other side still function?

The tractor will drive , but you will no longer have 4wd. The side you leave the gears out will be the side trying to give you traction. I’m not sure if it will pull to the one side or not during certain traction situations. You would want to make sure it holds oil for the differential and the other bevel gears.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well, you better find a friend with a small loader tractor. Maybe you could get a tractor to try out from a local dealer!!:D