B20 Rear Tire Ballast

crazzy450z

Oct 1, 2016
Acton, Ontario, Canada
Hello all..
I have heard, read and seen videos of people using windshield washer fluid as tire ballast. Particularly where the maximum weight is not required, as would be obtained using beet juice or calcium..

So on to my question. I have a Kubota B20 with the backhoe removed and am looking to weight the rear tires. Has anyone used actual coolant (ie: Ethylene glycol, water mix) as ballast? The reason i'm asking is the property i inherited has a 45 gallon drum of concentrated Ethylene glycol, so i could use that mixed with water as ballast.

Pros and Cons??
Thanks..

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Had ethylene glycol mixture in my B20 rears and foam in the front. 3/16” steel (heavy) four post canopy. 23 years, 3600hrs. Tough as nails little tractor.

New, 2016, B26 dealer used ethanol on rears, 2” wheel extension and bullet proof sealant in the front. Really improved traction and stability on the our hillside farm.

crazzy450z

Oct 1, 2016
Acton, Ontario, Canada
This sounds promising.. Thanks for your reply..
How full did you fill the tires?

Had ethylene glycol mixture in my B20 rears and foam in the front. 3/16” steel (heavy) four post canopy. 23 years, 3600hrs. Tough as nails little tractor.

New, 2016, B26 dealer used ethanol on rears, 2” wheel extension and bullet proof sealant in the front. Really improved traction and stability on the our hillside farm.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This sounds promising.. Thanks for your reply..
How full did you fill the tires?

You want to fill to the top of the rim - so valve stem at 12 o'clock, tire jacked up - fill until it oozes out valve stem - you will get a good guess looking up tire size and fill gallons. This will be between 70-75% full.

You will have JUST enough - about 21 gallons per tire

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
I’m 8 miles from dealer and they filled them.

Most punctures on tubeless tires can be plugged.

You can dilute your concentrated ethylene glycol for ballast.

Ethylene glycol is the best wood rot killer. If mixed with borate, a permanent termite treatment if not in ground contact or rain. For 300+ year log cabins handy. Just used some to enhance penetration of deck stain and kill algae and mold.

crazzy450z

Oct 1, 2016
Acton, Ontario, Canada
Its most of a 45 gallon drum of concentrated ethylene glycol , so I plan to dilute it about 50/50.. I should have enough.. If not, filled over the rim, that will be fine too, as its all extra ballast..

You want to fill to the top of the rim - so valve stem at 12 o'clock, tire jacked up - fill until it oozes out valve stem - you will get a good guess looking up tire size and fill gallons. This will be between 70-75% full.

You will have JUST enough - about 21 gallons per tire

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Its most of a 45 gallon drum of concentrated ethylene glycol , so I plan to dilute it about 50/50.. I should have enough.. If not, filled over the rim, that will be fine too, as its all extra ballast..
Need to have that air pocket for cushion.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Have seen some members use a simple, cheap Harbor freight pump and fill their own tires. Jack up tire, fill, release pressure, fill, repeat til fluid reaches 12 clock at valve stem. Your dilution could be 25% for ballast. Don’t think they ever used as concentrated as the engine cooling. I had my B26 in for other service when they filled mine and only charged me for the ethanol about $12.

Rear tires are tubeless. Punctures still can be plugged without taking the wheel off. I had one on the rear of the B20 and held up for over 20 year. Those rear tires wear forever.

Even with Ballast your B20 needs a heavy 3pt implement for loader work.