B20 Boiling over

phil brooks

Equipment
B20, 4ft bush hog, back hoe (not Kubota B20), landscape rake, snow plough, etc
whilst mowing at the weekend (4ft bush hog on the pto and 25 degrees C temperature), my B20 boiled over in a cloud of steam. it was quite warm and it looked like the mesh on the front of the radiator was blocked by grass seed (grass was over 4ft high). any suggestions (apart from keeping the mesh clean :) that i should check / keep an eye on to do as preventative maintenance.

thanks

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
remove as much as necessary to get a good look at the radiator. dirt and dust will pass through the screen and clog the radiator. Be sure to inspect the whole core not just in the middle. You may be able to blow air through the fins and get out the debris. Failing that, try washing it out with water pressure. DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER. Those fins are very easy to bend and will close up the radiator permanently. It may be over kill, but I like to remove the radiator so I can clean it until I can see light through all of the fins. Since this occurred while you were mowing, I would suspect a clogged radiator. Obviously other things could do the same thing. check your fan belt tension, look in the radiator and check for flow. It could be a bad water pump or a closed thermostat. Considering what you were doing at the time, I would start with the radiator.

phil brooks

Equipment
B20, 4ft bush hog, back hoe (not Kubota B20), landscape rake, snow plough, etc
thanks for the advise, i am back out in slovakia where my tractor is over the summer so will make sure i give it a really good clean. am planning to run rad flush through it as well as i need to change the water to make sure i have the right anti freeze level in it