b1750 with a hedge cutter

homewardbound11

Equipment
b1750hst
Mar 2, 2013
ireland
Hi I’ve aB1750HST. Recently picked up a 80cn flail hedge cutter with its own hydraulic pump to the tractor pto. The cutter is rated for 13-30 hp.

Under any small load on a hedge the rpm on the tractor drops to 1200 ish and starts to smoke black . Is there anything to help improve this tractor other than an engine rebuild .
any thoughts on the load as I think the tractor can deliver 15 at the pto but I’m guessing it’s not really 15 hp anymore.
im going to check/ change oil and filters and fuel filter . Is there anything else before it becomes a trade in or rebuild tractor . ?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I think you've already hit on it. Likely the tractor is not producing 15 PTO horsepower. We will assume you've been running it at the recommended 'PTO' required engine speed?

It might be worth doing a compression test on each cylinder to assess engine health. IF low...then there is your problem. IF not....then look to fuel delivery and air flow.

If all is well....then you are simply on the 'cusp' (or less) for adequate power to run the implement, despite the advertised lowest HP requirement. 'Truth' in advertising these days often employs some creative license.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi I’ve aB1750HST. Recently picked up a 80cn flail hedge cutter with its own hydraulic pump to the tractor pto. The cutter is rated for 13-30 hp.

Under any small load on a hedge the rpm on the tractor drops to 1200 ish and starts to smoke black . Is there anything to help improve this tractor other than an engine rebuild .
any thoughts on the load as I think the tractor can deliver 15 at the pto but I’m guessing it’s not really 15 hp anymore.
im going to check/ change oil and filters and fuel filter . Is there anything else before it becomes a trade in or rebuild tractor . ?
You're expecting too much.

Your B1750 is rated at 14 PTO HP

You need a bigger tractor for your implement.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious so I googled' 80cn flail hedge cutter ' and found it. Neat implement but....
15 HP is the minimum, probably will just cut thin leaves and NOT heavy 'brush'.
I also saw the weight of the unit and wonder if you'll need a 'counter balance' ? At the very least wheel weights ?? to keep the tractor from tipping when the cutter is up high ??
Depending on age, hours and use your tractor may only have 10HP on the PTO.
I bet 15 was for a brand new 'tight' engine,max RPM and stationary.
You probably should look at a tractor with 25HP on the PTO as the minimum ?

homewardbound11

Equipment
b1750hst
Mar 2, 2013
ireland
. Might do a compression test . From what I understand anting below 320psi is bad and a good engine is 400 approx .

it runs no problem without a load and no need for any counter balance at height . The wide grass tyres are more than enough .

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
. Might do a compression test . From what I understand anting below 320psi is bad and a good engine is 400 approx .

it runs no problem without a load and no need for any counter balance at height . The wide grass tyres are more than enough .
Your simply asking too much from the tractor, there is no getting around that the implement needs more HP to work.