B1600 steering

Motorcitymadman

Equipment
B1600
Sep 13, 2017
Stonewall, Mb
Hi guys,

My first post. Great forum with plenty of good info.

I have searched but have not been able to find out if my steering box is the same as any North American Kubotas. 1 post mentioned that the B1600 was similar to the B6200/7200. I would like to buy parts to rebuild the steering box. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Pictures would go a long way, if your model isn't in the US, maybe some people would not be familiar with it, but might recognize it if they saw it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
How did you go mate with the rebuild? mine has just carked it, so I am starting off in the dark, on where to even start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Motorcitymadman was only on the forum for a week back in 2017.

Doubt he’ll respond, but you never know….

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How did you go mate with the rebuild? mine has just carked it, so I am starting off in the dark, on where to even start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What do you need to know?

Rezzey

Equipment
B1600dt
Oct 11, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
What do you need to know?
I am up to the assembly of the shaft to box. I assumed (silly me) that just turning wheels all way to the left which raises the box finger gears to its max, and putting the shaft worm gear at its highest positon would make it it its correct loaction for full steering range as I lowered it down to the case seat. Tightend 4 case bolts all up
20240205_163758.jpg
and temporarily fitted the steering wheel with original shimm washers (2) and did up the nut. Then test turned the wheel full lock left and it was nice. Turned it right and crack went the lower bearing case again at the end of the travel. I am unsure if I overtightend the steering wheel nut which may have pulled on the shaft and rubber...or maybe wheel stops are somehow too shallow allowing overextention?

Feeling more towards overtightening the wheel nut, or impropper gear alignment to be the case than a wheel stop having moved.

Can you point me in the right direction on assembly if what I did was incorrect?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubotabooks will have the B7100 three part manual, I do believe what you need to know is in there or Look at the L185..... manual, it has a similar steering box setup.

Reactions: 1 user

Rezzey

Equipment
B1600dt
Oct 11, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Kubotabooks will have the B7100 three part manual, I do believe what you need to know is in there or Look at the L185..... manual, it has a similar steering box setup.
Thanks again mate. The L175 had the correct proceedure I was needing. I now see it is alot more involved than simply renewing just the bearings. My previous research on the topic was pretty unfruitful, so thanks for the manuals (I think years ago you showed me them, but I since forgot all about them).

Seems to do it properly I would need to take the pitman arm off and the take the sector shaft out to line up the centre marks of each cog, and should also shim the top of the case while it is all freely moving.

I have decided that the bearing case broke because it was blindly knocked crooked out of its race, as the steering rod came down ontop of it when the sector gear and worm gear were pushing past into their top most, working, place.

Thought I'd have one last go at making the cogs marry up while somehow ensuring the lower bearing stayed seated by view.

For anyone in the future that needs a quick fix: If you take off the steering rod outer sleeve (cover that bolts to the steering box, and that houses the top bearing race) from the rod it allows you to see just see just past the edge of the sector to the bottom bearing cage.

I then had to remove the steering angle limiter stop off the left wheel hub (the left turn one) and this gave me a couple more mm of the sector gear rotation to get it to mesh past the tightest tooth, in what appeared to be the highest range both cogs should ever travel.

Then refit the limiter bolt to the hub in its original position and check it hits the axle well before the steering wheel rotation would bind up at its cog limits (i feel the steering colunm would raise up out of the bearing seats, or bind downwards when it wasnt meshed in the right spot)

It all now works really smoothly, at least for now, to get me by while I await for pitman arm puller kit (front end loader framework is going to problematic), propper shims for the top bearing cover , and a new lower bearing (just incase).

Hope this helps someone (maybe me in the future with my forgetfulness 😄 )

Reactions: 1 user