B1600 no charging light

armstrongrv

Equipment
B1600 rotovator and loader
Aug 25, 2020
Scotland
Asked to move this from the main forum as it is a Gray.
I have a B1600 with a D950 engine. when the switch is in the ignition on position the charge light no longer comes on with the engine not running. all other functions work. The oil light comes on and go's off when the engine starts. The glow plugs work ok and the engine starts and runs. Now to the crooks of the problem. from the wiring diagram there is a voltage regulator and a thing called a charger unit. If I put 12 v across the charging light it works so that rules that out. What is the charger unit and what is it doing it looks like the yellow wire is the trigger and as the revs go up I think the voltage came down and if I remember with the switch on I think there is about 10 volts. the parts book that I have calls it a BOX PN 67111 5525-1 and then you have the regulator 155316460-2. Is the Box just a relay that switches off when the voltage drops on the yellow wire. Any recommendations appreciated.
Capture.PNG

armstrongrv

Equipment
B1600 rotovator and loader
Aug 25, 2020
Scotland
All fixed after buying a new charger unit and second hand voltage regulator. It turned out to be the W/R wire from voltage regulator to main switch B had a bed connection on the main switch. I could not see it had snapped as the plastic shroud had hidden it. when I had dis connected the wire from the voltage regulator it must have made the connection however when connected back up it must have broke the circuit.

GPG

Equipment
B1600D, bush mower, rotovator
Oct 3, 2021
British Columbia
All fixed after buying a new charger unit and second hand voltage regulator. It turned out to be the W/R wire from voltage regulator to main switch B had a bed connection on the main switch. I could not see it had snapped as the plastic shroud had hidden it. when I had dis connected the wire from the voltage regulator it must have made the connection however when connected back up it must have broke the circuit.
No charging on my B1600D either. I took the regulator and charging unit out today add suspect they need replacing. No broken wires. Charging light stays on once I replaced the bulb. Where did you find a used regulator and new charging unit?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I suggest you take the regulator to a local alternator repair shop and see if they have a new one. I have no idea what the charger unit is but if easy to remove I would take it along and see if they have any clues about it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This confusing electrical setup has come up on the forum a number of times and no one seems to know what the second box does.

Since the B8200 is shown as the closest North American equivalent, re wiring your tractor to work like a B8200 thus eliminating the second electrical box might be an option to consider. The dynamo would not need to be changed, only the regulator....rectifier used on the B8200.

Dave

GPG

Equipment
B1600D, bush mower, rotovator
Oct 3, 2021
British Columbia
After many trial and error attempts to get my B1600 charging system repaired I have finally succeeded. I first tried replacing the old regulator/charging indicator combo with an upgraded regulator that has the charging indicator built in. No luck. Then bought this DB Electrical 400-58012 Permanent Magnet Alternator for Kokusan Denki Gp9905 from amazon. No wiring diagram but not too hard to figure out and some machining was required to get the mounting brackets to fit. Overall though it works great, battery charges and the charging light stays off while running.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The 'charging unit' senses the battery voltage and sends a signal to the 'voltage regulator' that then sends the electrons as required to the battery.
'Old skool' tech, today both units are one PCB inside of the alternator.