B1550 power steering / Proportioning valve issue

B6000ME

Jul 23, 2018
manchester
I have a B 1550 Kabota tractor with approximately 1300 hours on it. I have owned this tractor for almost 2 years and in this time I have replaced the hydraulic pump. I am currently having two of the cylinders rebuilt for the bucket curl and I am putting a new valve for the loader on the tractor. Power steering on this tractor has not worked since I got it. While I have the hydraulic system apart I thought I would check the proportioning valve because most of what I have read on the Internet says this may be the primary cause of lack of power steering. Everything looks OK. is there a way to test this valve. A new valve is $600 although it is still available. I would really like to narrow it down to this issue before I spend that kind of money. Any thoughts

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
How did you eliminate the power steering box from being the cause of your lack of power steering?

The priority flow valve is not one to fail often.

Dave

B6000ME

Jul 23, 2018
manchester
How did you eliminate the power steering box from being the cause of your lack of power steering?

The priority flow valve is not one to fail often.

Dave
I posted last year about my loader having more power when I pulled the steering wheel all the way to one side or the other. And at least two people suggested there might be an issue with the proportioning valve. While it may be an expensive valve it is quite easy to access so I was hoping there was a way to test it. it all looks okay but with a spring valve how do you tell?

Avasonsyn

May 31, 2020
Mansfield Center
I posted last year about my loader having more power when I pulled the steering wheel all the way to one side or the other. And at least two people suggested there might be an issue with the proportioning valve. While it may be an expensive valve it is quite easy to access so I was hoping there was a way to test it. it all looks okay but with a spring valve how do you tell?
I have read that the hydraulic screen behind (next) to the passenger rear wheel may need to be cleaned. It is reference number 030. I plan on cleaning mine soon because my power steering is pretty weak right now. Good luck..even though I;m about a month late.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I think that your big clue is the increase in loader power when the steering wheel is turned.

it suggests to me that the plumbing of the loader is not correct.

Any idea who installed the loader?

In May you said you were installing a new loader valve. Did you buy one with the power beyond feature including the power beyond plug or sleeve.

How many hydraulic lines were on your old loader valve? 6 or 7?

# lines on your new loader valve 6 or 7?

Dave

Last edited:

RandR10

Equipment
LB2204 (Kioti version of L2204)
Jun 17, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I'm having the exact same problem. Did you come up with a solution? If so, was it just a bad flow divider valve or was it something else?

DonWarren

Apr 24, 2023
Oregon
I am having the same issue with a B1550D. No power in hydraulics unless you turn the steering. Has anyone found the cause? I’ve gone through everything in the system apart from replacing the proportioning valve. They ask an arm and a leg for that valve, so I’d like to make sure it’s the problem before buying one. Thanks

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
PS pressure test AFTER the valve. If thats good check the flow rate.

Dan