B 6200 possible blown head gasket

murffrompcola

Oct 26, 2010
Pensacola FL USA
I am trying to help a friend with his B6200 because he is not very mechanical at all. It has been sitting for over a year with a bad starter. I ordered him a starter and he put it on and used the tractor for an hour or so moving dirt with the frontend loader until it started leaking oil pretty bad so he stopped until I could look at it. I went over to his house while he was not there I kind of gave it a once over. The fan belt was way loose so I tightened it. I checked the oil and it was very high up the dipstick and gray looking. I checked the coolant and it was low but still above the coils in the radiator. My buddy says he checked the oil when he replaced the starter and it was at the correct level and black. I tried to crank the tractor but the battery was weak but immediately blew some drops of oil out the crankcase vent tube. That is where all the oil was coming from. My question is where do I go next? What is most likely the problem? Head, gasket or block? Thanks in advance.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
A couple of thoughts for you.
I believe that model of tractor does not have a water pump but rather operates on a thermo syphon principle. Hot water rising, cold water descending physics theories.
If coolant is getting into the crankcase then if the tractor is left standing, coolant should separate from the oil and being heavier than oil be on the bottom of the crankcase. If the crankcase drain plug is slowly removed and the first bit of liquid captured in a glass bottle if coolant is present it should be apparent.

Top up the rad and carefully measure how much was required. Drain the crankcase and measure the quantity of liquid that came out. Here is an example with fictitious numbers to help me try and explain my logic. If you have to add one liter of coolant to top up the coolant system then I would assume this is the maximum amount that could have entered the crankcase unless the rad was topped up more than once. If the crankcase is specified to hold 3 liters when at the full mark and when you drain it it was holding 5 and a half liters then perhaps it is not coolant getting into the crankcase as you should have only drained 4 liters.

Another possibility is diesel fuel in the crankcase. I dont know your specific model of tractor and if it has a mechanical lift pump to deliver fuel to the injector pump. On some tractors which have a mechanical lift pump mounted on the side of the engine, a crack in the pump diaphragm can allow diesel to leak into the crankcase. Once the crankcase gets too full of either oil plus coolant or oil plus diesel there will be leaks.

It may make sense to drain and replace the oil and coolant and then watch carefully. If the rad goes down open the drain plug for a second to see if there is coolant present. It is hard to diagnose when you have black oil and grungy coolant.

If the tractor was cleaned with a pressure washer you can force oil into all sorts of places.
Dave M7040

Last edited:

murffrompcola

Oct 26, 2010
Pensacola FL USA
Thanks for your time. The tractor has not been pressure washed since my friends has owned it which is over 15 years. It is a beater that sits out uncovered though. Your diesel theory is something I have not thought of. I don't know if this tractor has a lift pump or not. The fuel tank is mounted high so I would kind of assume it does not have a lift pump but my assumptions are worthless.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I see an Ops, and also a Workshop (WSM) manual listed here for a B6200. Looks like WSM is HST only.

Maybe there's a parts manual there as well, I honestly didn't look.

They may help you help him figure it out. Your a good guy to help him!!:)

Best of luck!!

http://www.kubotabooks.com/

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Drain the oil, I bet you find out it's not water at all, I bet it hydro fluid and has blow the seal out of the main hydraulic pump (easy and cheap fix). :D

They won't blow oil out of the breather tube when it blows a head gasket it will blow water out of the exhaust or hydro lock the motor. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't know if this tractor has a lift pump or not. The fuel tank is mounted high so I would kind of assume it does not have a lift pump but my assumptions are worthless.
It has one, it's under the injection pump.
And yes a leaking lift pump is also a possibility, again drain the oil and confirm. ;)

murffrompcola

Oct 26, 2010
Pensacola FL USA
Drain the oil, I bet you find out it's not water at all, I bet it hydro fluid and has blow the seal out of the main hydraulic pump (easy and cheap fix). :D

They won't blow oil out of the breather tube when it blows a head gasket it will blow water out of the exhaust or hydro lock the motor. ;)
That sounds very promising! He told me that his hydros quit working and he added some hydro fluid. He asked me if hydro fluid and engine oil could mix and I said I am pretty sure they can't. I am not a mechanic but work on my own stuff such as mowers, boats, cars and such. I hope you are right and it is hydro fluid thanks.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
My tractor was "making oil" but it was just black like normal diesel motor oil, not grayish.
The seal on hydraulic pump was out. Fixed that and problem gone. I guess if the hydraulic fluid is off color that could change oil color

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

murffrompcola

Oct 26, 2010
Pensacola FL USA
I was looking through a parts manual for the tractor and found some type of pump towards the front of the block. Is that the hydraulic pump? The tractor is 30 minutes from my house.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes the main hydraulic pump is bolted to the back of the injection pump.

Yes all signs point to a blow seal, the best news is that the hydraulic fluid didn't do any damage to the engine, if anything it cleaned the crud out of it. :D

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If there are multiple seals available you might want to order them all. My pump was not the one that went with the tractor serial number but my tractor is real old (L185) so the seal was not correct on first order of the shaft seal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: