Automotive Museum and Member Classics...What We Do For Fun.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There's two 68 GT500's locally. One is 100% original, has I think about 5000 miles on it, the other was a stock class drag car from day one-and still is. It has a few hundred miles on it. I know the guy somewhat well.

He's also got an original boss 9 that sits in his shop. Says it runs but the gas is so old that he has to bottle feed it. I don't remember how many miles are on it--I want to say 7200, but I may be wrong.

Speaking of GT500's. In 2007 my friend across the river called me at work and said I need a driver. Well ok, for what? Said he bought a Mustang at the Mark Martin Ford dealer, and we gotta go get it-and you (me) are driving it back home. Well ok whatever. We run up there and he done all the paperwork and all that other stuff that goes with buying a high-end car, then told me to follow him home. Ok no big deal. We get about 3/4 the way there (170 miles one way) and we stopped for pee break, I asked him what posessed him to buy that thing. He bought it for his fixing to be 16 year old daughter who loves cars, and is an avid drag racer already (Jr. Dragster). What? WHatever let's just get it home. Got it home, he drove me to the workplace, I picked my vehcile up and drove to my house. A few weeks later I seen him at the races and asked him how she liked the mustang. "She hates it". They live on one side of the town, and they gotta cross the railroad tracks to get anywhere, and she has a hard time driving a manual transmission, so she either kills it or demolishes the tires every single day going to school. She actually told her dad she's not driving it and went to driving his Ranger (automatic). The GT500 sits outside in the weather and doesn't get driven. A $50,000 car, just sitting there, rotting away. Rats have probably eaten up wiring, snakes probably living up in it, cats probably had babies in it multiple times, you get the idea.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
thought I'd share a pic of the green car. It needed a bath and to get all the bugs off of it. Nothing special. I bought it in 2011. Was owned by a heavy smoker so I had to completely GUT (down to nothing but metal) the interior, clean, wipe, scrub, wash every single component, a/c box complete disassembly everything. It was super nasty. In 13 I moved, and took a while to get back on my feet. The AOD was trashed (OD slipping) so I pulled it out of the car and slowly rebuilt it, then put it back in. Good rebuild. AODE drum, wider band, valve body, and supporting longevity mods. Put it back in, drove it about 3 months and a guy on the other side of Texas said he wanted a good built aod for his stock 93 GT. I just happened to have one, and didnt drive the car anyway so I pulled it back out and sold it to him for a good profit. Used that + a lot more to buy a T56 Magnum, bellhousing, clutch, pedal assembly, harness, cables, etc. While the trans was out, figured why not replace the tired 5.0 with a 7.0? So that's what went in. AFR205 heavily ported/welded/etc heads, too much camshaft, EFI, makes about 650 engine horsepower. Total street car and yes traction is an issue. But I think I've gotten into the throttle twice since 2017, just no need to go further than 1/4 throttle with it.

I got another one too, 75 Ford Maverick...bought in 1992, still own it. My first car actually. I think I posted a picture of it a while back. The 92 GT and the Maverick are nothing special really. Maverick makes rougly 800hp out of a naturally aspirated 440" SBF. Drag car only (bracket racing). They had a car show last year at the high school which is about a mile from me. I filled the tank with Methanol, fired it up and drove it to the school. It was out of fuel by time I got there. It holds just shy of 3 gallons. Good thing it's inexpensive. Dual fuel system, it will idle (only) on pump gas, race on Methanol.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My wife saw these someone posted on FB. First I’d seen the renovation after dark.

0E88A23F-D124-4063-9BB8-C5C4CA1D7769.jpeg

C541EF32-C61E-431E-94BC-4F73E44D5D4B.jpeg

CB125B37-E061-4D8D-B1A7-1F7694105DE5.jpeg

1EEB1BB4-086E-4610-83B5-CEE100846BCE.jpeg

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
RCW,,, man any car out of the 50s and 60s makes me stop and look,, kinda like the MOPARS but and of the will do. The ex had a 69 Rambler Scrambler she bought off the floor because the dealer wanted it gone, he said it was not the image they wanted to portray .. I wonder whatever happened to it