Automating SSQA

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I make no claim for originality but this seemed like a fun small winter project to do. Just decided to do it my way.

quick attach.jpg

I am going to use a 200mm linear actuator (just shy of 8"). 1-1/4 od X 3/4 id aluminum tubes will connect to the screws on the levers. The screws are M12's. I need the tubes to be able to rotate around the screws some as the levers turn. I am drilling 20mm holes in the tube for the screws then inserting a 20mmx14mm sleeve that will be slightly longer than the diameter of the tube. The screws will then tighten down on the sleeves leaving a 14mm hole for the 12mm screws.

The distance the screws move apart appears to be about 7.25" so I may have to slot the pin holes in the actuator ends of the tubes to allow for 'dead space'. It all depends on how much free movement there is in the whole drive train.

I have the tubes coming in from ebay in the next week or so and just need to pick up a couple of M12X1.25X60 bolts (originals were 25)

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
BTDT it worked but tooo dang sloooooooooooow.
I used a 4" linear actuator on my BX23S bucket.
They do make FASTER ones but,well, getting up once in awhile is good exercise ??

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
lol, probably but the dog n I do laps (1/4mi) on our street every day.

I think it will take ~15 seconds from full open to close. The higher the torque the more they are geared down - so slower. I picked a 330lb unit. I put all my weight on it (195lb) and couldn't stop it.
The thing I realized tho is I can retract while driving over to 'drop site' and engage after curling back and moving away. No need to stay and watch it (other than take a looksee to make sure it engaged).

• Dislike

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I make no claim for originality but this seemed like a fun small winter project to do. Just decided to do it my way.

View attachment 91298

I am going to use a 200mm linear actuator (just shy of 8"). 1-1/4 od X 3/4 id aluminum tubes will connect to the screws on the levers. The screws are M12's. I need the tubes to be able to rotate around the screws some as the levers turn. I am drilling 20mm holes in the tube for the screws then inserting a 20mmx14mm sleeve that will be slightly longer than the diameter of the tube. The screws will then tighten down on the sleeves leaving a 14mm hole for the 12mm screws.

The distance the screws move apart appears to be about 7.25" so I may have to slot the pin holes in the actuator ends of the tubes to allow for 'dead space'. It all depends on how much free movement there is in the whole drive train.

I have the tubes coming in from ebay in the next week or so and just need to pick up a couple of M12X1.25X60 bolts (originals were 25)
My L48 TLB came to me from the original owner with a similar (but 3rd function thru diverter) hydraulic, locking system.
I love it!
I am old, and don't like dismounting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, hydraulics would be the way to go..super fast and easy IF you have a 3rd or 4th function....
Linact was a clean,easy way for me since this was a 'napkin challenge'.......
They do make fast,small, powerful linacts...just $$$$$ !!!!
The 12v ones actually go faster if you power them with 24v but I didn't do a proper bench test to see how long it'd last.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Mine is 3
yes, hydraulics would be the way to go..super fast and easy IF you have a 3rd or 4th function....
Linact was a clean,easy way for me since this was a 'napkin challenge'.......
They do make fast,small, powerful linacts...just $$$$$ !!!!
The 12v ones actually go faster if you power them with 24v but I didn't do a proper bench test to see how long it'd last.
My L48 3rd function system (using hydraulic diverter from 3rd function) is a much more robust installation.

Last edited:

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
There's a guy on U-Tube that has a video of how he did it: Part 1
and part 2

Reactions: 2 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks for posting - pretty similar to what I'm doing

• Dislike

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
OK, Let me get this one done 1st :)
Just don't take too long. At my age, I have to make the best of every day on this earth. If I had known that I was going to live this long, I would have started taking better care of myself at an earlier age. LOL

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Well Dusty I assume you are still hanging in there :)

Making progress. Finally got all the bits and pieces that I needed.
Learned an easy lesson along the way. I needed 1-1/4"OD X 3/4"ID aluminum tube. Wanted to support a small business so ordered it on ebay from a guy in PA. Claimed he shipped it on a Tuesday with 2 day priority mail. Took 8 days to get here. onlinemetals.com's shipping warehouse is less than 10mi from me :( I was sure I wasn't going to see it from the ebay guy so 2nd order to onlinemetals. half the price, next day delivery. Now I have plenty of material for Dusty :)

The pieces
parts.jpg

Anyway I finished the mechanical parts today, mounted and tested it. Other than I had to trim some tubing off the ends it works perfectly :)

mounted 1.jpg

I want to give a lot of thought where to mount the switch - accidental 'opens' could be bad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I hope this works out for you. If it does, I can see me making one. Like you, the switch location and wiring will be the hardest part.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Suggest that you use a momentary switch along with a 3-position (on-off-on) switch. That way, you eliminate any accidental openings. It will require you to hold the momentary switch long enough for it to latch or unlatch.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Best make sure your attachment is picked up correctly! If something isn't lined up right, you just going to bend something. Honestly you guys take all the fun out of owning a tractor, such as hooking up implements! Its part of the whole tractor experience! Is it a need or a want? Maybe next will be a remote controlled tractor? You can work it while having coffee from the kitchen table! LOL!! Alas maybe you work construction with your tractor and time is money??? Working production??? I guess then Its a good idea!

Last edited:

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
oops Double post

• Haha

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Suggest that you use a momentary switch along with a 3-position (on-off-on) switch. That way, you eliminate any accidental openings. It will require you to hold the momentary switch long enough for it to latch or unlatch.
I was considering a separate 'kill' switch, not momentary. In the end I (at least for now) plan on installing it in an unused slot (draft control?). It's out of the way, almost impossible to accidentally hit.
I have the switch and am now waiting for some electrical parts. I am going to have a 'multi-colored' very bright led on the dash. It will flash red when the actuator is powered to the open position, flash blue for the closed. When then switch is in the off position the led will be off.

In the end its up to me to take a look-see to make sure the pins engaged. That much doesn't change. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only who who, at least one time, wasn't paying attention and manually closed those levers only to find one pin was out :( only one time for me.

• Dislike