Auction Report: Big old Ls

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Yesterday was Wolgemuth's annual equipment sale. Probably 500 used (and new) tractors to choose from, in all conditions from salvage to new-in-the-crate.

I found THREE big old L-series tractors that were all very interesting to me:

1. L4150 with LA950A loader and L4540A backhoe. 2088 hours showing, tach working. Tractor started and ran well, hydraulics seemed good, but the backhoe was all strapped up and chained to prevent its movement, so I don't know about that... Tires were all worn out and cracking. It had 16.9x24 Goodyear R1s on 17-24 rims, date coded 0197. Fronts were 9.5-20 R1s. I did a rough estimate of the tire ratio, and it, with these tires, the fronts would run at about 4% lag in 4WD. Not ideal. Tractor sold for $12000, plus commission, to an internet bidder in Michigan.

2. L4350 with a brush painted Kubota loader. 2769 hours showing. Bucket floor had been patched. This tractor was just beat. Hydraulic filter was hand-labelled with "2745 hrs, 8/21", indicating that the tractor had been used only 24 hours in the last 2 years. Did not start, battery was too weak. Rims were 15.5-24 on the rear, and 8-16 on the front. Had worn out R3 tires all around, but the tire ratio was right on with about 1.5% lead in the front. I had heavily discounted the value of this machine because of the apparent abuse it has suffered. It sold for $7500, plus commission. More than I wanted to pay for it.

3. L5450, no implements. 2979 hours showing, tach working. This tractor started and ran great. Sheet metal and trim in great condition. However, there was something weird with the hydrostatic transmission. With the column lever engaged, there was a 2-3 second lag between releasing the clutch before the tractor began to move. What is this "Ever Clutch" thing? The upper support for the steering column was very loose, and the plastic housing for the column lever was broken. Had 6 year-old radial R4 tires on the rear (2917 date code) on 15.5-24 rims. Fronts were skid loader wheels/tires. Tire ratio was WAY off on this one, with a 10% lag on the fronts! I didn't test the 4WD. Tractor sold for $6400, plus commission.

I was lusting over that L5450, the top-of-the-line L-series in the 1990s. "F28-DI" cast into the head, indicating the F-2803 Direct Injection engine. Perfect for turbocharging!

In doing my research, I discovered that the L4350, with the V-2203 used the SAME pistons and injectors as the F-2803! This engine had "V22-DI" cast into the top of the head.

One thing I don't like about these older bigger L-series machines is that the side curtains are bolted on, making access to the engine bay from the top only, like looking down into a blanket chest. Hard to see the bottom! A modification I would consider doing is making the side curtains removable.

Other interesting Kubota sales at this auction:
A used-up L2500 with 3621 hours on it for $2800, plus commission. This tractor was a no-sale in September for $2750, and a no-sale again in October.

The L245DT salvage basket case sold for $650. This lot was a no-sale in October.

A salvage L200 missing the exhaust manifold for $600.

An L48 with 1661 hours for $25000!

Overall, it looked like sale prices were about 25% higher than 'normal', across the board.

My sour-grapes logic is that I don't really want to take on another big project...in December. In April, I'll be a more aggressive buyer.
But, I was NOT going to let that L5450 go for less than $3000!

Meanwhile, does anyone know where to find production figures (numbers built) for Kubota tractors?
I'm thinking they probably did not build many L5450s! What a beast!

-Paul

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow - hard to say without photos, but your descriptions sound like some VERY strong prices.

We have some large consignment sales here in the southern tier of New York. Buyer’s premium and NYS Sales tax can add 18-21%.

Not sure commission, etc. that sale, but that additional 25% in sale prices + commission sure puts a couple of your examples way beyond reasonable in my opinion.

Last edited:

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I regularly review sales prices of equipment I'm interested in, and there is a LOT of variation that seems to have nothing to do with the condition of the equipment.

You can find the photos for the tractors in this sale here:
Wolgemuth Auctions - Nov. 25, 2023 Auction | 2 Day Farm & Construction Equipment Auction - Day 2 | Bid Online at EquipmentFacts.com
You'll have to sign up to review the auction.
Just search "Kubota" in the keyword field.

This sale is always packed with prospective bidders, as it's become very popular locally. And, it has a wide internet following. More bidders, higher prices. That's a sure bet.

Kind of a corollary to "a sucker born every minute?"

There's no way I would bid on a tractor with 2000+ hours on it, sight-unseen!!!

-Paul

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Yesterday was Wolgemuth's annual equipment sale. Probably 500 used (and new) tractors to choose from, in all conditions from salvage to new-in-the-crate.

I found THREE big old L-series tractors that were all very interesting to me:

1. L4150 with LA950A loader and L4540A backhoe. 2088 hours showing, tach working. Tractor started and ran well, hydraulics seemed good, but the backhoe was all strapped up and chained to prevent its movement, so I don't know about that... Tires were all worn out and cracking. It had 16.9x24 Goodyear R1s on 17-24 rims, date coded 0197. Fronts were 9.5-20 R1s. I did a rough estimate of the tire ratio, and it, with these tires, the fronts would run at about 4% lag in 4WD. Not ideal. Tractor sold for $12000, plus commission, to an internet bidder in Michigan.

2. L4350 with a brush painted Kubota loader. 2769 hours showing. Bucket floor had been patched. This tractor was just beat. Hydraulic filter was hand-labelled with "2745 hrs, 8/21", indicating that the tractor had been used only 24 hours in the last 2 years. Did not start, battery was too weak. Rims were 15.5-24 on the rear, and 8-16 on the front. Had worn out R3 tires all around, but the tire ratio was right on with about 1.5% lead in the front. I had heavily discounted the value of this machine because of the apparent abuse it has suffered. It sold for $7500, plus commission. More than I wanted to pay for it.

3. L5450, no implements. 2979 hours showing, tach working. This tractor started and ran great. Sheet metal and trim in great condition. However, there was something weird with the hydrostatic transmission. With the column lever engaged, there was a 2-3 second lag between releasing the clutch before the tractor began to move. What is this "Ever Clutch" thing? The upper support for the steering column was very loose, and the plastic housing for the column lever was broken. Had 6 year-old radial R4 tires on the rear (2917 date code) on 15.5-24 rims. Fronts were skid loader wheels/tires. Tire ratio was WAY off on this one, with a 10% lag on the fronts! I didn't test the 4WD. Tractor sold for $6400, plus commission.

I was lusting over that L5450, the top-of-the-line L-series in the 1990s. "F28-DI" cast into the head, indicating the F-2803 Direct Injection engine. Perfect for turbocharging!

In doing my research, I discovered that the L4350, with the V-2203 used the SAME pistons and injectors as the F-2803! This engine had "V22-DI" cast into the top of the head.

One thing I don't like about these older bigger L-series machines is that the side curtains are bolted on, making access to the engine bay from the top only, like looking down into a blanket chest. Hard to see the bottom! A modification I would consider doing is making the side curtains removable.

Other interesting Kubota sales at this auction:
A used-up L2500 with 3621 hours on it for $2800, plus commission. This tractor was a no-sale in September for $2750, and a no-sale again in October.

The L245DT salvage basket case sold for $650. This lot was a no-sale in October.

A salvage L200 missing the exhaust manifold for $600.

An L48 with 1661 hours for $25000!

Overall, it looked like sale prices were about 25% higher than 'normal', across the board.

My sour-grapes logic is that I don't really want to take on another big project...in December. In April, I'll be a more aggressive buyer.
But, I was NOT going to let that L5450 go for less than $3000!

Meanwhile, does anyone know where to find production figures (numbers built) for Kubota tractors?
I'm thinking they probably did not build many L5450s! What a beast!

-Paul
Tractor Data is an easy place to get some data.

Tractor Data L5450

Here’s some serial number data suggesting the number of units produced each year was around 50 to 350 per year. Although it seems suspect, starting in 1989 when the production years are stated as ‘91-‘97. Maybe around 1500 units??

IMG_2740.png