Attaching battery tender to BX2670

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I just got a battery tender for my BX2670. Reading the kubota manual, it says that when jumping, attach one lead to the terminal and one to the frame of the tractor. I'm guessing this is just for jumping. Attaching a battery tender I would guess the leads get attached to each of the terminals. Is this correct? Also, is it safe to leave the tender on the battery, inside the tractor and plugged in or should the battery be pulled while on the tender?

Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Im uner the ipmression you have an automatic type, usually you mount it in a safe location under the hood and put proper connections on battery.
Then yes the battery tender can be permanently connected. Thats what my forklift has. A 2 amp charger permanently mounted.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Im uner the ipmression you have an automatic type, usually you mount it in a safe location under the hood and put proper connections on battery.
Then yes the battery tender can be permanently connected. Thats what my forklift has. A 2 amp charger permanently mounted.
Yes, it is an automatic one. Thanks for your help. [emoji106] [emoji4]

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yes, it is an automatic one. Thanks for your help. [emoji106] [emoji4]

The reason most "jumps" say to ground the last cable to the frame is a safety concern.

Many a person has jumped the battery only to have it explode in their face.
But a trickle charger should be connected to both posts of the battery, then typically a quick connect is placed for easy access. Then after all that, you plug the charger in the wall........if something were to go wrong, at least you are yards away rather than right over the battery. Make sure that the trickle charger will "cut off" and maintain the battery - several of the "good" ones would still cook the battery to the point of uselessness.:)

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
The reason most "jumps" say to ground the last cable to the frame is a safety concern.

Many a person has jumped the battery only to have it explode in their face.
But a trickle charger should be connected to both posts of the battery, then typically a quick connect is placed for easy access. Then after all that, you plug the charger in the wall........if something were to go wrong, at least you are yards away rather than right over the battery. Make sure that the trickle charger will "cut off" and maintain the battery - several of the "good" ones would still cook the battery to the point of uselessness.:)
Makes sense. Thanks Hokie!

What do you mean by "good ones"?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The good ones are the cheep ones that have no sensing crt to shut off when the battery has reached full charge,, yep they can cook a battery so get something good cause the price you may pay down the road aint worth it,, Case in point, my HD is an 01, I used a battery tender Jr on it the first year I put it up for the winter,, that battery lasted 11 years, unheard of I know, But when it quit it freekin DIED DEAD DOA, :eek: good thing I was headed down hill and could bump start the old gal. So get a good one and the money spent now will save you down the road

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The good ones are the cheep ones that have no sensing crt to shut off when the battery has reached full charge,, yep they can cook a battery so get something good cause the price you may pay down the road aint worth it,, Case in point, my HD is an 01, I used a battery tender Jr on it the first year I put it up for the winter,, that battery lasted 11 years, unheard of I know, But when it quit it freekin DIED DEAD DOA, :eek: good thing I was headed down hill and could bump start the old gal. So get a good one and the money spent now will save you down the road
WHAT HE SAID ^^^^^^^^^^^ mo better than what I said!;):)

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
The one I got is a Deltran Battery Tender 800. From the reviews I've seen and some posts online it appears the be a pretty good one.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I have thr Battery Tender Plus, bought extra ring terminal leads and permently mounted them to my Bx and Atv. I was able to fish the lead under the hood and next to the latch. Protected from the elements. Pop the hood and hook up the charger. Pretty darn easy