Assembling an L245DT engine

Lenny

Oct 11, 2015
Newton,NC,US
I recently purchased a unit that had the engine removed and disassembled completely do to a low oil pressure problem(5psi,no matter what rpm). I believe that I found the pressure problem, the cam plug on the front of the cam is missing! Main and rod bearings are fine and the inside of the engine is very clean so I have purchased all the gaskets to reassemble the engine along with the WSB for the tractor. The main bearings get bolted back onto the crank and then the whole unit gets installed back into the block. Looks like that is going to be a bear of a job, having to align the bolts that hold the 1st and 2nd bearings in the proper place and get the bearings to slide thru the block where they need to mount. I also have tried to fit the cam for the fuel pump/distributor and it is a very snug fit.
My question is should I use a block of wood on the end of the crank and fuel cam to get them into position? This unit is ancient and I don't want to do any unnecessary damage to either!
As for the cam plug, I'm thinking of taking it to a machine shop and have them tap the end of the cam so I can thread the appropriate screw into it with some red locktite .
All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On the cam plug, I did a B6100 and I use a tapered roller bearing and welded it after taping it in place. Be use you have a good ground on the camshaft so no bearings get damaged. If you have the cam out, it's like you can't make a mistake!

You can get a plug from Kubota if you want to go back with factory fittings.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't know if it is steel, but the reason they fail is because alum. was used initially and the temp. differential of many heat/cool cycles in the engine caused the dis-similar metals to reject each other--causing the alum plug to eject!

So, I'd guess they went to steel, but call a dealer and ask to be sure.

Coleman Equipment, 913-422-3040. They will know and send parts if you need something.

Last edited: