As if I didnt have enough going on......

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I decided to move a 10'x12' storage building, with a lean to attached to one side. The goal is to widen the driveway turn around in front of the shop by about 35'. Fortunately the PO hung the lean to with Simpson ties, although it was screwed, stapled and nailed with an assortment of misc pieces from a parts pile. I knew my little BX couldn't push it, so I cleared a few extra trees behind and rigged my Bronco, and used the Warn winch. After removing about 20 little saplings ( gotta love how the Piranha hooks small trees and pulls them out of the ground) back dragging off all the pine needles, cutting and unscrewing the lean to, it moved fairly easy. Got it jacked up, leveled and on some PT 6x6's. I had to get some help from the neighbors as it took 4 of us to move the lean to, and get it close enough to re-attach it. I used Ticos on the Simpson ties, instead of the mish-mash of drywall screws etc.
One more thing off my retirement list, but I figured out four more things to add to the list, so I'm still going backwards!
DSC04257.jpg

DSC04258.jpg

DSC04262.jpg

DSC04263.jpg

DSC04270.jpg

Last edited:

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
You got er done!
The job list are like weeds!
You pull one and 4 more pop up!
After this last winter about 5 so far have sprouted up this spring!

Ray

Last edited:

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Love doing jobs like that, awesome looking Bronco

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
got the last 3 trees taken out. No more than two pushes with the Piranha on each tree, to pluck them out, roots and all. Sawed them up, then laid weed screen and about 15 buckets of gravel. Now there's way more room at the end of the driveway to turn around, and extra gravel to park on. The UPS guy came to make a delivery, and was really happy he could easily U turn instead of backing and doing a 3 point turn.
DSC04271.jpg

DSC04280.jpg

here's with the last three trees in place, then all graveled in.

Last edited:

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
A job well done! And I too am a fan of Kubota's and early Bronco's ;)

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
How to you do it? Drive the PB in the tree at ground level and use your bucket's curl to leverage them out?
I find the easiest way to take out trees (if there small enough) is to raise the blade up to about 3', point the Piranha just slightly down off level, and from about 24" away in 4x4 low, ram it. The teeth hook into the tree, and really bite in, well like a piranha. these three, only about 6-7" around came right out, roots and all. That's about the limit, as I tried to pluck out a 10" one and it stopped me cold! backhoe time. come to find out it had 3 big tap roots, the size of baseball bats. That took about a half hour to get the snarl of roots dug out and the stump pulled. My buddy was watching and helping me move the shed, was amazed this little BX could take out trees.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
bearskinner, this practice, "and from about 24" away in 4x4 low, ram it. The teeth hook into the tree, and really bite in, well like a piranha. these three, only about 6-7" around came right out, roots and all. That's about the limit, as I tried to pluck out a 10" one and it stopped me cold!" ----- is extremely stressful on your entire tractor from loader mounts all the way to the final drives in the back. Doing this will cause major damage.

Use a powerful push, but don't use your tractor as a hammer.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I don't hit them as hard as you might think, when some of these pines grow they have really shallow roots that grow across the surface. They really bend, almost to the ground, which is why the Piranha helps. It really doesn't hit like a hammer, more like a grab and push to the ground, taking the roots with it. I don't like to beat on my mini tractor, but this is pretty mild. The grounds real soft so they pull out pretty easy. The good thing now is no more trees to remove.

Last edited: