Are you adequately covered for liability and physical damage to your Kubota?

goldnrod24

Equipment
BX-1880
Dec 11, 2017
Frankfort, MI, USA
When I bought my BX1880 in December 2017, my insurance company assured KFC that my tractor was covered for physical damage under my homeowner's policy.
My wandering mind got to wondering if that coverage extended to off-premise situations. So I called to clarify.....

Turns out that my homeowner's policy (Citizens Insurance) DOES NOT cover the tractor for liability or physical damage once I leave my yard. So, if you decide to clear out the widow next door's driveway and something happens...... you are SOL. Or, if you trailer it up to your hunting cabin and there is an accident on the freeway (regardless of fault), you are SOL.

The solution is to "schedule" it onto your homeowner's policy. That mean you specifically add it by serial number.... for an extra premium amount. It's a stated value (subject to the exact same deductible as your homeowner's policy). In my case, it was $14/year with $1000 deductible.

If you choose not to pay for the KFC policy, be sure you check with your insurance company to be sure you have the proper coverage. Of course, if you NEVER leave your yard, you have nothing to worry about. In my case, I'm glad I checked. For $14 a year, I have complete peace of mind.

YMMV. This is Michigan, BTW.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As I read the thread the question is in the title.

If you question tractor usage coverage in a right-of-way it would seem that should be asked to your coverage agent, and get the answer in writing for your files should you need it. If it's not in writing, it will be extremely difficult to prove verbal conversation in a court.

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
A right of way is typically documented in the deed for your property and thus part of your home I don't think an insurance company would be able to weasel out of that but you should probably check with them.

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
I'm not that worried about it. I would be fine with no insurance. We saved a bunch of money by not insuring anything at the farm for 10 years. We just didn't have anything of value that we couldn't just let go if it was stolen.

That all changed when we built...
Creeps in my area will steal anything, they cut through my neighbors fence in the middle of the night and stole their John Deere tractor. Other neighbor had some creep break into her home one morning while she was in the shower. They steal your mail. One retard stole my garbage can at the road. I installed a security video system and caught one of these morons who was driving up into my yard and mowing down my garbage can and recycle bin knocking them 20 feet back up into my yard. Since I put the Video Security signs up at the road they leave me alone but I may move to NC or VA.

Last edited:

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
Well you live in Battle Ground so I wouldn't expect anything less. But seriously, I should look at my homeowners and look at what isn't bolted, cemented or gravitationally impossible to pull out of the ground at my house and cabin.
Our rural crime in my parts are bad. I don't have a new/financed machine so I don't worry about it but I do worry about replacement value from fire and theft.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
This might be slightly off the topic, on Jan. 11 my garage burned to the ground everything in it was destroyed. The only good thing is that I had enough insurance to cover the loss, I hope you guys are smarter than I and have pictures of everything in your building and in each cabinet and every drawer in your tool box. You don't realize the amount of tools and equipment you acquire in 40 years of being in a trade, my saving grace was that I spent a lot of time in the garage doing various things so I was able to remember a lot (not all) of things. I have 180 days to submit contents for full replacement value, and everything in there had value so good luck trying to remember everything. I think I'm about to learn a costly lesson so far I have 40 pages at 12 items per page, plus a car, snowmobile and an atv with tracks and a blade which were all covered by our Gov. insurance but at a depreciated price.

savoy9020

Lifetime Member

Equipment
G1800, L2501 (2016) 5ft LP box 2004 F250 6.0 Lariat Supercrew 2017 1140D RTV, 2
May 25, 2016
Savoy, Texas
I'm really glad you guys mentioned this.. About 6 months ago, I was loading a bunch of trash and garbage into the dumpster, and a rusty 5 gallon bucket fell backward, and onto the top of my 2 year old L2501. Nice big dent.

I had seen one of the JD commericals on the 303x series comparing to Kubota, and how they bragged about the plastic hood, and how it wouldn't dent. Guy hits the hood with a hammer. Seemed funny at the time for Deere to do that. Not so funny now that I have a big dent in the front of my Orange tractor. Also had some long scratches where I got into the trees a little to much.

This thread reminded me that I have the Kubota insurance and can file a claim to get the $750 hood replaced for the $250 deductible. This is exactly what the salesman told me it was for. Going to schedule that for next week while it's too wet to mow.

RichM752

Equipment
L47TLB
Feb 28, 2017
Mount Shasta CA
I have KTAC since I often use my TLB way from home. If I was only using it on the home front I would have gone with the homeowners.
Great idea on photographing and listing all items of value. You never know what will happen.

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
Ditto on the photographs of garage contents. (and hidden contents).
Myfear is I'll start to think of myself as a hoarder.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Good topic and reminder for me, because I'm probably not covered well enough.

I paid my tractor off in 2 years. Kubota insurance has been done since, about 3 years.

I don't have my tractor scheduled on my homeowner's, and doubt my coverage limits would replace it under "contents" coverage.

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
Or, if you trailer it up to your hunting cabin and there is an accident on the freeway (regardless of fault), you are SOL.

The solution is to "schedule" it onto your homeowner's policy. That mean you specifically add it by serial number.... for an extra premium amount. It's a stated value (subject to the exact same deductible as your homeowner's policy). In my case, it was $14/year with $1000 deductible.

YMMV. This is Michigan, BTW.
As a PA insurance agent I just want to clarify that in PA your auto liability insurance from the vehicle you are towing with is what would cover the liability portion in your freeway accident scenario.

Also, in PA - scheduling any item on your home owner policy generally just provides property coverage - not any liability.

I suspect this is similar in most states but best to check with your own agent/company.

Most home owner policies exclude coverage for motorized vehicles UNLESS it is related to maintaining your property. So generally speaking...yes, your tractor will be covered under your home owner policy contents limit subject to your deductible and limited to the same perils your policy provides for those contents. Depending on the policy you have those perils may be named perils (ie: if one of the following things happens, it covered) - OR - risks of direct physical loss - used to be referred to as *all risk* (ie: if it's not excluded then it is covered).

If you have the choice and dont mind paying slightly more, the risks of direct physical loss option is MUCH broader coverage and what you should have if your company offers it. It is what I have on my own policy (which ironically just came in the mail yesterday so I have it right here) - the charge on my policy for it is $97 for the year. It is called Special Personal Property Coverage with my carrier.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
When I financed my Kubota I was told it had to be insured, called my agent and was told I had X amount of coverage on machine so I uped it to 3X for $76 per year. Tractor stays on property.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I'd have to take a 2 week vacation to photograph everything to be covered for fire or theft. It's so hard to get anyone to show up for a job, I've taught myself to do it all, plumbing, carpenter, electrical, painting,, etc ,etc and have most of the tools to do that.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
KTAC covers damage, regardless of what stupidity I do with the tractor. Liability on the other hand is NOT KTACs issue. remember the whole point of KTAC is to keep a tractor is resalable condition should you default on your loan.
I'm a fan of KTAC and will have to figure out how to keep it when my loan is up. Everything Ive had to do with them has been awesome, fast and painless unlike any homeowner stuff.