Anyone own both a single and dual lid grapple?

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have the EA 55" Wicked Root Grapple. Out of curiosity, I was looking at their dual lid models and was curious if anyone has both styles, and if so, how they might compare. I am aware most of us probably have one style, but feel free to comment regardless.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have two twin lid grapples of different sizes but also use a 2 finger “thumb” on my excavator.
All are good for grabbing things, theory says twin lids will hold better for different thickness of materials. My grapples are only 60” wide, not too sure there would be too much difference in single lid grapple with 2 holding points.

The wicked EA grapple is very highly rated, do you think it’s lacking and that a twin lid is needed?

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have two twin lid grapples of different sizes but also use a 2 finger “thumb” on my excavator.
All are good for grabbing things, theory says twin lids will hold better for different thickness of materials. My grapples are only 60” wide, not too sure there would be too much difference in single lid grapple with 2 holding points.

The wicked EA grapple is very highly rated, do you think it’s lacking and that a twin lid is needed?
I am completely happy with the 55 Wicked Grapple. The only thing that I have done with it that was not optimum was trying to pick up several pieces of a hickory log I cut up for firewood. Like you said, the single lid does not pick up multiple items of different thickness very well. Once it closes on the biggest item, anything smaller will simply fall out. A dual lid might do the same to some degree, but should do much better. I like how the dual lid model has the bottom section that can be positioned parallel to the ground. You really cannot hand stack stuff in the 55 Wicked Grapple, then close it as the bottom part of the grapple does not rest parallel to the ground. But, I really don't use it for picking up smaller items anyway.

I just became curious about it for some reason. I am not sure at this point if I would invest in another grapple. I was just interested in what others had to say.

Thanks for the info.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
We has a gehl skid steer with a bucket with 2 grapple tops that worked independently but 1 controlled basically first came down touched item, second came down touched item then pressurized to hold. That was awsome we used for 90 percent of farm work loading feed manure sawdust cleaning bunk, loading trash into dumpsters, cutting and moving fire wood etc. I would love. To own a set up like that for a tractor in future. They always called it a trash grapple.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a 2 lid 60" grapple and use it to load and unload cut firewood from 3" dia to 30" dia. Osage Orange. I've never had a single lid, so I can't compare the two. I am completely satisfied with how this grapple works. I can pick up several pieces at a time of various diameters and lengths.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I must also say, I am trying to think about things I may purchase at some point and I wondered if I would ever get another grapple. Prices for everything goes up each year. I see a potential for inflation to increase much more than normal. I figured if I have the money and plan to buy something, I might as go ahead and do it. Flawed logic perhaps, but that logic has never really failed me.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I like your question. The subject of single versus dual grapples comes up quite often. When I purchased my dual lid grapple I think it was decided by a coin flip. I wish I could try both to see which one I would like better before purchasing but obviously you can’t. So you will get comments like “I have a single lid and love it “ or vise versa. It looks like nobody so far has both.

There was a member here that operated both types between work and home but I don’t remember what his verdict was. Did a quick search and did not find it. Maybe do a longer search and see if you can find it.

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
I too have a double. It's a bobcat brand on a bobcat skid steer. We break up concrete with it and load info a dump truck. It is really good for uneven load's like busted concrete or rocks. Something a single probably can't do well.

Reactions: 1 users

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
I too have a double. It's a bobcat brand on a bobcat skid steer. We break up concrete with it and load info a dump truck. It is really good for uneven load's like busted concrete or rocks. Something a single probably can't do well.
I too had a Bobcat Root Grapple with dual lids. It was an animal for sure. I sold it when I sold my skid steer. It was just to heavy at 960lbs, for my new tractor. I have since ordered a EA 66" Wicked Root Grapple and went back to dual lids. We load cut firewood with our grapple and have seen more times then not, both lids at different clamping positions (moving brush piles also). The old Bobcat grapple very seldom dropped anything. I am expecting the same from the new EA Grapple.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Thanks for the replies.

I mulled over pulling the trigger on an EA Wicked Dual Lid Root grapple yesterday. But, I watched some videos and did some more thinking about it. My conclusion, I just don't see a big enough justification to have both types of grapples for the expense. I could change my mind though. I really love the 55 Wicked Root Rake Grapple. For my small tractor, it is a good size and weight, and it can fully clamp with little space inside. This is good for almost all the work I am doing, which is brush control.

My biggest conclusion from my experience and other's comments, it is good to have any grapple rather than no grapple, no matter what type it is.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
Thanks for the replies.

I mulled over pulling the trigger on an EA Wicked Dual Lid Root grapple yesterday. But, I watched some videos and did some more thinking about it. My conclusion, I just don't see a big enough justification to have both types of grapples for the expense. I could change my mind though. I really love the 55 Wicked Root Rake Grapple. For my small tractor, it is a good size and weight, and it can fully clamp with little space inside. This is good for almost all the work I am doing, which is brush control.

My biggest conclusion from my experience and other's comments, it is good to have any grapple rather than no grapple, no matter what type it is.
Thats a very good conclusion to come to. I would say you have given it some good thought. There are definitely times I would like for my grapple to come closed tighter. It fun to have choices and weigh the pros and cons.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Grapple, Grapple, Who's got the Grapple. I have a single lid Bobcat grapple that my dad bought in 1980 I think. It is on a fork. I can use it to pick up rocks and small logs by clamping between a fork tooth and grapple hook. Best labor saver Dad ever bought as I see it. It will twist if I load up one side more than the other so twin lid might be better. Dad used it to move his round bales, stacks of cornstalks from his Hesston stacker among other things. It has been used to clean up lots of storm damage as well as cleaning up the trees I took down. This one is at the farm. I have 2 grapples as I am hooked on them. I have one at home on my 2032R Deere.