Anyone here serious about coffee?

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Started about 10 years ago when I had french press at a restaurant before a Steeler game. It was delicious. My normal was a pot (or so) of any store bought coffee all morning. After that, the OCD kicked in and did my research on how to make a good pot of french press. Lead me to buy a couple grinders and french presses. First grinder was a Baratza that would grind down to espresso - since I got into espresso at that time also. Then I moved to a large flat grinder made by Quamar and a nice Espresso machine. I get fresh roast beans, 5# at a time and make an espresso every day. Also bought a SCCA approved drip machine that gets to the proper temps. Still make french press, drip, and pour over with fresh beans ground right before I brew. I got into the beginning of the rabbit hole, there are many that go way, way deeper with beans, roasters, different brewing methods etc.

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
why I slept so little and drank caffeinated coffee and tea all day, because anything stronger is illegal.

For many years I was strictly quantity.
this is me. I drink it all day at work. We used to have a coffee bar in the showroom (thank you Lincoln customers!) but that went away a couple years ago, I now have to resort to the Ford customer coffee. I haven’t went down the rabbit hole yet. Yet 😂.

Following this thread 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I consider myself semi serious. I use a BWT water filter (designed for coffee brewers, removes the bad stuff from water but infuses magnesium). I weight the whole beans for each draw (Lavazza Grand Crema from Italy through amazon). The beans are ground using a hand crank burr grinder (motorized grinders can overheat the beans). I have my Breveille espresso machine set to make a 25 to 30 second draw and between 1.25 and 1.5 ounces coffee. For morning, I will do a Latte but if I do an afternoon draw I only do espresso. I know purist say they never add milk but I enjoy it in the morning thus considering semi serious. Sometimes I make it into a cafee Americano. I will say, I tried the stuff out of a keurig at a friends house (several different coffee blends) and I think I'd rather drink muddy water. Also, I never, ever drink any coffee with added flavors (well, other than milk).

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Coffee is gross. There is something wrong with all of y’all.

Saying that, my wife loves the stuff. Can drink right before bed, and fall fast asleep. Drinks it boiling hot in the middle of summer too.

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
i was wondering how deep the hole was your headed down!
What are the advantages to roasting at home compared to buying roasted whole beans? I would assume you can tailor the roasting time and heat to your personal taste preferences ? What type of maker will you use?

I am sure there will be a certain satisfaction in creating a great cup of coffee from green beans but also the learning journey.
Your question re the advantages of roasting beans at home is a good one. A few months ago I watched a TED Talk by a coffee expert who started the presentation stating that most people drink old, stale, dead coffee. He said that once coffee beans are roasted, and the chemical reactions complete, they start to degrade and are only viable for about seven days after roasting regardless of whether they're packed in airtight packages or not. Once the beans are ground, all of the benefits of the coffee are compromised within 30 minutes or less, due mostly to oxidation. Another common issue with roasted or ground coffee beans is the presence of mold. So roasting green beens at home elimates that issue. Green beans retain all of their vibrancy for over a year if stored in a cool, dry place.

Yes, you can control a number of variables when you roast such as duration, current temperature, final temperature, and fan speed. You can manually dump the beans at any time with the option to do so between first and second crack, or after second crack.

So my reason to roast at home is mostly the freshness and vibrancy issue but also for control over the roasting process which makes a big difference to the taste of the espresso. Coffee in the morning has been a big part of my day for many years and if I'm going to go to the effort of making a few espressos or ristrettos (into a flat white or latte) each morning I want to maximize the health and taste benefits.

For equipment, I currently have a Hottop KN-8828B-2K coffee roaster, an ECM Synchronika Espresso machine with Flow Control, and an ECM S-Automatik 64 Espresso grinder. I have a lot to learn but I'm really enjoying the journey.

• Wow

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I consider myself semi serious. I use a BWT water filter (designed for coffee brewers, removes the bad stuff from water but infuses magnesium). I weight the whole beans for each draw (Lavazza Grand Crema from Italy through amazon). The beans are ground using a hand crank burr grinder (motorized grinders can overheat the beans). I have my Breveille espresso machine set to make a 25 to 30 second draw and between 1.25 and 1.5 ounces coffee. For morning, I will do a Latte but if I do an afternoon draw I only do espresso. I know purist say they never add milk but I enjoy it in the morning thus considering semi serious. Sometimes I make it into a cafee Americano. I will say, I tried the stuff out of a keurig at a friends house (several different coffee blends) and I think I'd rather drink muddy water. Also, I never, ever drink any coffee with added flavors (well, other than milk).
That's awesome! I was semi serious for many years ordering fairly expensive proprietary pods from CBTL and going through three of their CafeItaly machines. Like you I make milk-based espresso drinks but good espresso is amazing when it's made properly with good beans. I never knew that espresso could be incredibly sweet without any bitterness but it's possible by controlling the roast, the grind, and the extraction.

Reactions: 1 user

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
Ive had everything from a simple drip type filter and cup to a super automatic under intense pressure machine. The Super-automatic was OK but pricey. I used that machine for about 15 years and finally got tired of fixing/maintaining it every 6-9 months. I went cold turkey and back to a simple drip setup lately. My wife got me a hot water pot that is very good about getting and staying at 200 degrees. That plus using a fresh ground beans and I use a pour over filter cup https://www.amazon.com/Frieling-401...fix=pour+over+filter+cup,aps,129&sr=8-42&th=1

Yeah it's easy but the trick is to get good filtered water with the right mix of salts/minerals so it's not flat tasting water!

Sounds like I'm a coffee snob but the truth is I'd drink about anything. Some days it's whatever is on the stove and could be cowboy coffee run through a strainer! If given time to enjoy it the above filter cup method is a darn good cup of joe.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I walked to the edge of the rabbit hole and slowly backed away.

For many years I ran more off caffeine than sleep and coffee was my primary method of delivery with tea coming in a distant second. Always black. Like the taste of heavy dark roasts but prefer the higher caffeine content of blondes if I’m aiming for caffeine. I know that may sound bad, but like I told one of my superiors many years ago when he asked why I slept so little and drank caffeinated coffee and tea all day, because anything stronger is illegal.

For many years I was strictly quantity. I’d show up at whatever office I was at that day well before anyone else, make a pot of coffee with whatever the office manager for that office happened to buy, and drink the whole pot. Then I’d make another pot for the rest of the office to share, making sure it was freshly ready when they arrived. Of course I’d take my one cup share out of the second pot. Wife hated coffee so drinking it at home was rare.

Then, for some reason I don’t recall I started drinking it less at work and more at home in the evenings. I didn’t want quantity, I was looking for quality: the kind of quality I had experienced at the rare independent coffee shops that mostly sold incredibly smooth and full flavored coffee best drunk straight rather than iced milk with a splash of coffee. So I started grinding the beans in an adjustable ceramic hand grinder; experimenting with various beans, coarseness of grind, French press, percolator, drip coffee maker, Keurig with reusable pod… I was starting to research roasting beans, researching sourcing equipment for small batch use, and I started to see one foot sliding into the rabbit hole so I drew the line at roasting beans myself.

Shortly after, a miracle occurred. Wife decided to see what was so wonderful about this coffee. She started with about half milk, half coffee. Over time, she pared back to zero milk most of the time but still enjoys a splash of milk once in a while. She didn’t understand why we couldn’t just get the cheapest pre-ground coffee she could find. I let her try that and she quickly found out why that’s not advisable.

We continued experimenting to find a process acceptable to both of us. We landed on a drip coffee maker with three scoops (it’s a small scoop, a bit more than a teaspoon) of medium ground Eight O’Clock coffee hand ground in small batches to make 10 cups.

Looked to me like roasting your own beans might be a fun hobby but it also looked like a pretty deep rabbit hole. I wasn’t quite up for diving in full bore.
Thanks for that excellent post. I bought a cheap burr grinder about 18 years ago and it worked quite well for use with a French press. I have a handheld ceramic burr grinder too and it does a great job of making beans into a grind with the texture of powdered sugar. The CafeItaly machines use proprietary disposable pods but I was able to "reload" them and make espresso way better than anything I ever bought from CBTL. The problem with the automatic machines is the lack of control over pressure, temperature and duration, not to mention flow profiles so they're relegated to travel use only. I'm not lugging an 80lb espresso machine around! :LOL:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If its hot, black, pours and you can float a horse shoe on it then thats coffee

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Your question re the advantages of roasting beans at home is a good one. A few months ago I watched a TED Talk by a coffee expert who started the presentation stating that most people drink old, stale, dead coffee. He said that once coffee beans are roasted, and the chemical reactions complete, they start to degrade and are only viable for about seven days after roasting regardless of whether they're packed in airtight packages or not. Once the beans are ground, all of the benefits of the coffee are compromised within 30 minutes or less, due mostly to oxidation. Another common issue with roasted or ground coffee beans is the presence of mold. So roasting green beens at home elimates that issue. Green beans retain all of their vibrancy for over a year if stored in a cool, dry place.

Yes, you can control a number of variables when you roast such as duration, current temperature, final temperature, and fan speed. You can manually dump the beans at any time with the option to do so between first and second crack, or after second crack.

So my reason to roast at home is mostly the freshness and vibrancy issue but also for control over the roasting process which makes a big difference to the taste of the espresso. Coffee in the morning has been a big part of my day for many years and if I'm going to go to the effort of making a few espressos or ristrettos (into a flat white or latte) each morning I want to maximize the health and taste benefits.

For equipment, I currently have a Hottop KN-8828B-2K coffee roaster, an ECM Synchronika Espresso machine with Flow Control, and an ECM S-Automatik 64 Espresso grinder. I have a lot to learn but I'm really enjoying the journey.
That will be a next step for me. A good roasting machine and finding a good blend of green coffee beans. I can only imagine how good the house smells....

• Love

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Two of the techs I worked with took the rabbit hole to China , I think.
They spent years experimenting with various machines, coffees, blends, grinds, days of the week, phases of the moon, etc., etc., etc..
The only specifics I remember was they used a french press, they timed the press stroke with a stop watch, the water had to be de-ionized to at least 17 megohm, and the water had to be between 165F and 168F.
I hope I never get that anal about anything.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Semi-serious. I have a Keurig and prefer dark roast or "extra bold" coffee. Presently using 8 O'Clock brand Dark Italian Roast.
Go on Amazon and get you some Cafe Bustelo: Estilo Espresso.

It's the coffee that stands up to milk.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Counter top coffee maker. Maxwell House, Folgers, 8 o'clock, Chock Full o Nuts........it don't matter just as long as it ain't instant or Char Bucks.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My wife and I love coffee, black and strong. But we found that we wasted coffee with a ten cup drip machine, so we bought a Kuering. It worked, but only lasted a year. I replaced it with a Bunn single serve machine that takes pods, ground coffee, or k cups. It has lasted 7 years so far and works great. We like the Costco Pacific bold k-cups; 120/box and a good price per cup.

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
I love the smell of coffie and drank it to socialize. Thought for a long time it didnt affect my sleep. Came to realize it does. I quit cold turkey was rough for a week. Now i sleep through the night and best of all don't get up three or more times to pee in the night. Has changed my life for the better.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Is that pod based or a drip machine? Are you picky about coffee when you're out and about?
K-cups, similar to a pod. And yes, I have to be REALLY desperate to drink coffee when on the road. Most of it is horrible. Occasionally, the stuff from McCafe can be decent if adulterated sufficiently. Starbucks is consistently awful. Dunkin' Donuts varies from tolerable to paint stripper.

We do have an "Aroma Joe's" coffee kiosk at the "mall" in town that makes a pretty decent cup of coffee and their foo-foo drinks (latte' or cappuccino) are darn good.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm a recovering coffiholic. I lived in that rabbit hole for a few years. It became a dark place before I knew what was happening. Ground my own beans, beans I bought from all over the world. French press strictly timed. Turned my nose up to all coffee that wasn't expensive, ground by me, and French pressed.

One day a few years ago, I was still in the hole. Holey-er than thou, so to speak. I was driving to the gun range with my brother one morning. He wanted a cup so he suggested McDonald's, as they had changed their coffee marketing to something sounding classy. I smiled and snickered to myself wondering how much of a fool my brother might be. I got a cup too, not to offend.

That cup of coffee changed my life. Darn, it was good. Over the next couple months I climbed out of the hole. Amongst broken and stained coffee presses, and a couple coffee grinders that had seen better days, I emerged a new man. The mailers from far off lands selling the finest coffee were simply thrown away. i had more time to do other things.

Now, I'm a Kuerig guy. Black Rifle company being a favorite of all varieties. Donut House and McDonalds pods are good too.

I had to come to grips with my coffee problem. I had to face the reality that I missed.

• Haha

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Really try some Black Rifle coffee, it really isnt too bad