Anyone getting the fever yet?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
3 more days and I'll be sitting in a blind at my buddy's camp and then 3 days later we head to another friends camp where I'll be sitting in a tree stand because along with a large population of deer they also have a lot of bears. I decided to take a blind with me last year only to find it in pieces a couple days later. The cool clear mornings the last couple weeks really intensifies the urge to get out there. Good luck to all who have this love for hunting and be safe out there.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah buddy its getting to be that time again,, I hope you limit out!!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Yeah buddy its getting to be that time again,, I hope you limit out!!
Thanks my friend, I would love to harvest a bear year as well, it's been a few years since I did. Nothing like a good bear roast.;)

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Been working all summer on food plots and placing stands at my hunting lease along with shooting. My season starts on the 5th and I am definitely looking forward to it. Good luck and be safe to all the hunters!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't waste my time with food plots on our northern Michigan ground. reason being is deer are migratory in nature so all you have to do is observe where they pass through at (rubs and smashed vegatation) and set up there. Deer are lazy and will always take the path of least resistance.. bear, on the other hand prefer to be solitary and don't.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
it is proven that whitetail deer will be born live out their lives and die within 3 miles of where they were born,, unless driven from the area thats not I what I really call migratory

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
it is proven that whitetail deer will be born live out their lives and die within 3 miles of where they were born,, unless driven from the area thats not I what I really call migratory
Depends a lot on human pressure.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Agree with Skeets, run a lot of trail cameras and have pics of the same buck on my property 3 straight years. He was easy to mark because his left brow tine always grew straight back near the end. Top few inches pointed back toward his tail. Same with a doe, she had a torn ear and stayed around one stand for 2 seasons.

I don't suspect the buck left but got shot by the neighbor.

I believe give the deer what they want and they stay in the area. Cover, food and little pressure and they have no reason to leave.

Bearbait, yes our season has been in for 3 weeks and I have the fever. I'm lucky have a good job but still able to hunt 3 afternoons a week and Saturdays. Our lease is only 20 minutes from home or work.

Heading to Illinois for 2 weeks in November to bow hunt.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Yes I would have to agree with skeets also. Years ago when I first started hunting at my friends camp I had I had a young doe which had 2 white ears come in which I enjoyed watching while sitting in the stand that I nicknamed white ears for obvious reasons. Year after year she was spotted by my friends and a couple other hunters at the other camp and none of us would shoot. I think she must have died of old age but we do have a lot of 10 pointers there all with similar racks. I spent many hours hunting this big guy last year with no success and probably will again this year.

Attachments

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
That rascal has some shoulders on him, as you know ours are much smaller down here in NC.

I do get to shoot 6 though so maybe it works out in the end for meat to eat:)

Good luck BB, I'm heading to our land after work today to enjoy the outdoors for a few hours, only mid 80's here today....

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
That rascal has some shoulders on him, as you know ours are much smaller down here in NC.

Good luck BB, I'm heading to our land after work today to enjoy the outdoors for a few hours, only mid 80's here today....
And good luck to you my friend, just 2 more days, kinda feeling like a 63 year old little kid right about now.:D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah CM but your deer are about the size of wabbits down there,,,lol ;)
I dont know what I would do with 6 of our deer in the freezer, an adult deer runs about 85 pounds dressed out though I did shoot a buck one year I got 190 pounds of meat, and thats a ton of meat from one deer. But then again he was eating about have of what I was feeding the horses, I couldnt figure out why my feed bill ws going up. Then one day I walked in the barn and he was laying by the feed box, got up and slowly walked away like he owned the place,,lol

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Yeah CM but your deer are about the size of wabbits down there,,,lol ;)
I dont know what I would do with 6 of our deer in the freezer, an adult deer runs about 85 pounds dressed out though I did shoot a buck one year I got 190 pounds of meat, and thats a ton of meat from one deer. But then again he was eating about have of what I was feeding the horses, I couldnt figure out why my feed bill ws going up. Then one day I walked in the barn and he was laying by the feed box, got up and slowly walked away like he owned the place,,lol
No offence skeets but I'm thinking you may need glasses you shot the damn horse.:D

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Great afternoon, my 4 year old Ella and I spent some time at the deer land. Checked out some of the big white oaks to see if they were dropping yet and they were.

Taught her how to look for droppings so we could see which tree the deer were visiting the most. What a blast throwing deer pooh at each other when we found a pile. Picked out the hot tree in the area so now a stand will go near it Saturday.

Yea Skeets my goal is around 200 pounds of venison for the freezer. That is a combination of grind and misc other cuts. Works out that I need 15 deer to achieve that I we eat it during the season and I give some back to those who give me the deer.

I love to process it and share some with those of my friends who do not hunt.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny

6? I thought it was more in NC. I’m in upstate NY. We get an archery either sex and antlerless. Regular season buck tag, up to 2 doe permits. Then second draw gives out left over doe permits, which I can get 2 more for one area I hunt. Then we can have 2 doe permits from another hunter signed over. On top of that I get a doe management permit for public access reservoir property. That makes 10, which is absurd. I have 5 tags currently and will get the extra two. Oh, and we get one bear tag.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
6? I thought it was more in NC. I’m in upstate NY. We get an archery either sex and antlerless. Regular season buck tag, up to 2 doe permits. Then second draw gives out left over doe permits, which I can get 2 more for one area I hunt. Then we can have 2 doe permits from another hunter signed over. On top of that I get a doe management permit for public access reservoir property. That makes 10, which is absurd. I have 5 tags currently and will get the extra two. Oh, and we get one bear tag.
Doesn't get much better, every year freezers are full.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Saw two grouse last Sat. hope to go out in the morning and next Sat. 14th bird hunt and Sister In-laws moose hunt. Colors are getting great here.