anybody with bx1870 wish they had bigger?

jbarber

Nov 20, 2014
Blaine, Mn.
Howdy,
I was set on buying a BX1870, but have heard many people suggest moving to the BX2370. I certainly understand the logic of getting as much power as one can afford.

However, I think I'm at the limit of my budget with a BX1870. I am not financing because it is $1000 cheaper not to use Kubota financing, so the argument that it's only $xx / month more doesn't work on me.

So, my dilemma is, do I go ahead with the BX1870, or wait (possibly forever) until I can afford the BX2370.

This will primarily be for cutting grass, but I do want a FEL for some light work around the yard. Maybe hauling some dirt around here and there, turning the compost pile, etc.

I assume for cutting grass, the HP won't matter, so it's mostly with regard to using the FEL.

So, my real question is to BX1850/60/70 owners as to whether they are happy with their decision, or whether they wish they had gone with a BX2350/60/70 or bigger.
Thanks in advance.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wellll that is kind of a loaded question and one not easily answered. the 1850/60/70/ are all good machines as well as the 23 and the 26 series. For mowing and I don't know what your land is like or how much to have so the 18 might be ok, and there are guys that have them and are happy as pigs in mud. Being in the same frame of mind as you were I opted for the 2360, middle of the road HP, 18 HP at the PTO for a tiller or a small brush hog, and FEL and still heavy enough to do what I wanted to do. And if you have X dollars to buy with DONT LET A GRAND DETER YOU !!! You can do as I did, and so many others have figure the one you WANT with what you want to go with it,, put a BIG down payment on it and pay the difference off a t0% it aint a bad deal and you could double or triple that payment and get it done quicker. This is of course MHO and it is better to get something you know will do the job and you will be happy with, than something you want to pay for up front that will be marginal and you will be unhappy with.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
... so it's mostly with regard to using the FEL.
The difference between the FEL's on the 1860 and her larger siblings is almost trivial. Not enough (IMHO) to really worry about.

I think, from your description, the BX1870 will suit you fine.
We love ours.

If you were to start thinking "bigger" (with regard to the FEL) you are really talking about moving up to the "B" series.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I'm not sure what the draw is to the "B" Series. The BX I get, the L I get, the B series always seemed like it was too much of a fine line between the BX and L.

I compared the BX and L and they seemed like a dilemma to me, when I was looking at a B, I just went "Small L or large BX" and didn't seem to get the good side of either of the BX or L.

I'm not knocking B owners, I just didn't get the rationality of it beyond a financial 'middle point' between the two.

Mani1147

Equipment
2013 BX2370, belly mower, rear snow blower, rear tiller, front loader
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
My big decision maker going with the BX 2370 vs 2670 was that anything over 25hp is not covered under my house insurance policy. And after 1.5 years of use, the 2370 is working out great for my snow removal and lawn care.

cheers
Rob

jbarber

Nov 20, 2014
Blaine, Mn.
I live on a 2 acre lot, of which 1 acre is currently cleared and is mowed. One of the purposes of the FEL would be to help clear out the rest of the lot.

I don't know that I really need a FEL, but from reading a lot of other posts, I think I'll find ways to use it. And more importantly, I just want one. :)

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
I live on a 2 acre lot, of which 1 acre is currently cleared and is mowed. One of the purposes of the FEL would be to help clear out the rest of the lot.

I don't know that I really need a FEL, but from reading a lot of other posts, I think I'll find ways to use it. And more importantly, I just want one. :)
You'll love the extra help that the FEL provides. It's like having a son around that's mighty strong and always willing to help as long as you need him. There are things I move around the property, dirt I work, undergrowth I keep in check, and dozens of other task that I previously didn't bother to even think about that I now tackle with gusto.

p.s. big fan of the bx2360.

jbarber

Nov 20, 2014
Blaine, Mn.
Is it my imagination, or do these things have an incredible resale value?
I've been watching Craiglist ads for the past few months, and haven't seen any that have asking prices significantly under what they sell for new. And, it seems like they are selling them.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I've been watching Craiglist ads for the past few months, and haven't seen any that have asking prices significantly under what they sell for new. And, it seems like they are selling them.
Anything with pre-DPF exhaust is selling for what your bought it for or slightly more if it's under 200 hours and in near new shape. People really hate that DPF regen and the lower fuel economy that goes with it.

What shocks me is that Kubota's from the 80's are still going for $5000+.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
zactly why I went new. I started looking at a used Bx2350 and bought a Bx2660 for 500 more. Buy whatever tractor you want and can afford. We all wish for bigger time to time. If it does what you want and need done then it is right. One reason I went with the 2660 is that sooner or later I figure to put a snow blower on it. I have never operated anything that had too much power when blowing snow. Heck the way the value is you can sell it if it is too small and not get hurt too bad.

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
Been very pleased with my 1800. Mows great. Fel is good and VERY handy. Never a problem snowblowing, I did most of the driveways on my street last year. :) 42" rotary mower works effortlessly. With that said, get the biggest you can afford.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
My father's good friend picked up a BX this past summer and my pops gave it a test drive to compare it to his B2910. He said it was a really nice machine but he found that only having hi and low speed made it difficult finding the right speed mowing compared to his 3 speed 2910 where he always mows in mid speed. I'm sure the BX owners on here could share their experiences with only having 2 speeds and how it works for them.

With the FEL, they are worth their weight in gold in my eyes. Even the small ones on the BX will lift more than any normal persons back can take. Think of a FEL as a tool that can do much more than scoop dirt, with some chain hooks you will be able to move or lift anything it can handle. They are nice to carry tools around the yard and my mother has even filled it with water to drive it around and water her plants. One downside to the B2910 loader is that it doesn't have enough reach to dump loads into a tall roll off dumpster or a dump truck with high sides.

I'm a big fan of the smaller kubotas but they do have their limits. I would suggest to look deeper into what the different models can handle for weight and what you need it to do.

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
My father's good friend picked up a BX this past summer and my pops gave it a test drive to compare it to his B2910. He said it was a really nice machine but he found that only having hi and low speed made it difficult finding the right speed mowing compared to his 3 speed 2910 where he always mows in mid speed. I'm sure the BX owners on here could share their experiences with only having 2 speeds and how it works for them.
The bx is hyd drive. Depending on how much you push the forward peddle determines how fast you go. Like driving a car, you don't always have your foot to the floor. And you can do slight adjustments with engine speed also. I've never had an issue mowing.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I dont remember if the BX25 has any FEL weight lifting advantage but what I can tell you is my little bx1860 has never once suffered from a HP weakness and I work it HARD. I run out of traction way before I run out of HP. More HP on this frame would be a waste IMO.

The only thing I would want more from is the loader arms but that's not a weakness of the engine size its the relief vales. I have to use the curl for additional breakout/lifting force. Truth is, I dont think the tractor is heavy enough to lift more safely anyway so its prob sized perfectly.

jbarber

Nov 20, 2014
Blaine, Mn.
I'm overwhelmed at how enthusiastic Kubota owners seem to be.
I'm getting more and more excited and I can't wait to be an owner myself.
I hope to finalize a deal this coming week.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
The bx is hyd drive. Depending on how much you push the forward peddle determines how fast you go. Like driving a car, you don't always have your foot to the floor. And you can do slight adjustments with engine speed also. I've never had an issue mowing.
I completely understand, my pops must like to drive it with the petal to the floor! :p

Farmallguy

Equipment
BX2360 w/54" deck & Back blade
Oct 8, 2014
Silver lake, MN
I completely agree with everybody on buying the 1870 and can definitely handle the loader as shown the in the video above. It should be able to handle your yard no problem!

I'm a very happy owner of a 2360 and would love to upgrade to a 2660 but don't know how much of a benefit it would be. I can't wait to get a front end loader within the next year or so and put that tractor to work more!

Recently purchased a front mount snowblower and winter has arrived here in Minnesota and can't wait to start playing around with that as well.