Anybody using a Baumalight or other PTO powered Generator?

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Typically generators that produce more than 6% THD (total harmonic distortion) are "dirty". The inverters made by Winco, IMD, and others are brushless and produce <5% THD. Also, some like my IMD, have "Automatic Voltage Regulation" (AVR) do more to keep voltage stability, which lends itself to more sensitive electronics. This is beyond what a capacitance regulation scheme does. The inverters are much more closer to pure sine wave as well. Cheap generators produce a modified sine wave which can play havoc on electronics. Make sure you size correctly as motor starting loads draw more amps and can result in voltage drops. It's the main reason refrigerator motors are burned up with undersized products. As the voltage drops, current spikes and will burn through the windings. One nice feature of the AVR units is considerably more surge (motor starting) watts. My 10KW is rated at 20KW surge. That's much more than a standard capacitance regulation. It's every bit as clean as my big Kohler automatic 14KW whole house unit. Never a hint of an issue. When sizing for a home, ASSUME that every refrigerator, freezer, furnace, water pump, or whatever will at some interval all decide to start at the same time. There are good online calculators out there which can help. AVR gives you more latitude. Since you have a 3 point hitch, no need to go for less weight on the inverter armature. Heavier ones have more momentum and can also help deal with starting loads.
GREAT write up by you, sir!!!!
Maybe around a year ago, i bought a new Westinghouse 9500/12500 dual fuel. First, ZERO issues with it. I originally wanted, and looked at those PTO gen`s, but i found that i don`t have a tractor big enough to run even the 10,000 watt PTO units, so i ended up with the Westinghouse for $900 from home depot locally. And the price of the PTO gen`s, wasn`t in our retired income price range either.

We`ve had to use it several times already. We run ours on propane, worked very good each time we`ve needed it. Though our gen is <23%THD, we`ve had zero issues with any electronics. I`m not saying we never will or won`t, so there`s that. Everything seems to work just fine. I`ve heard others say the same with their Westinghouse gens. I`m sure there ARE, some out there that have had electronics issues, i`ve not had those issues others speak of. But like i said, it doesn`t mean that we won`t, either. Just haven`t seen it yet in my home. We don`t have any battery back ups on our computor, the TV works fine, still able to have internet during power outages in our area.

I installed a 50amp inlet box on the main service, installed the lock out on our main breaker (per elec code). I only run a 15ft 50amp cord into the 50amp inlet box. The generator sits in a home made gen shed that i built for it. Our generator is stored in the garage until we need it, then its a short trip out to our inlet box, hook it up, and we`re off an running. (it is also chained down, so nobody can steal it very easily) The generator is to much for my wife an i to man handle, so we throw the pallet forks on our Kubota BX23s and take it out to the gen shed and hook it up. So far, this generator has been a really good purchase for us.

Wife an i had always talked about getting a generator for decades. When she bought an extra freezer to put in the garage, i knew we finally had to get off our duffs and get a generator. No regrets... when the power went out a few times, it saved all our foods in the refrigerator AND the garage freezer. We only turn on what is needed when we lose power. The fridge, the freezer, furnace, well pump, 2 heat tapes for the water pipes during winter, a couple lights. I don`t need brown outages when things turn on/off/on, so we are very careful how much we turn on when the gen is running. This generator never bogs down, ever. I`ve never even once heard the engine change pitch when the well pump turns on.

Anyway, enough of me rambling here :oops:

Reactions: 2 users