Any advice for a first time Kubota buyer?

Marsbar

May 5, 2019
Hastings
Hey all,

I'm a new homeowner on 7.5 acres of woodland looking for a tractor to help deal with the oak wilt that is devastating our trees. I've been shopping the B series due to the lifting capacity over the BX's. I'm hoping to get some answers to a few questions regarding common pitfalls for a first time tractor owner (I don't think a John Deere D series counts). Anyway the first question is the obvious, new or used? What advantages would I get out of a new tractor over a used one? Second, how many hours can I anticipate getting out of a B series assuming faithful maintenance? Third, what should I be on the lookout for in a used tractor? I'v found a couple that are in my price range varying from 250-900+ hours available near enough to me that I could pick them up. I need a loader attachment for mine, and some of the best deals I've found do not include them, so is adding a loader to a tractor going to be significantly more expensive than purchasing one with it already installed (save for the cost of the loader itself)? Any and all advice would be welcome, I heard that of the whole wide web you folks know best, so please lay your knowledge on me so I can happily join the legions of orange.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
New or used depends, is the price of used discounted enough to make financial sense to you? I purchased a new BX last summer, in my area it didn't make sense to go used to me as any local offerings were only 3 of 4 thousand less than just getting new. New meant a warranty, I know what has been done with and to the machine from day one, I got everything I wanted on the machine from the start, the latest features available like a better dash display than the previous model, easier attach/detach of the loader and backhoe, better ergonomics than an older one in my opinion. So it was more than the bottom line number to me as these machines tend to last a long time. I have a B2650 size machine that I bought new back in 1984 and its still with me and working as well as it did on day one.

Get a machine with the loader already installed, unless your extremely fortunate they are hard to find used and quite pricey. You will likely not save anything going that route and burden all the hassle of getting to the desired result.

Best advise I can offer don't cheap out when buying get what you need and want it will be with you for a long time and you will have to suffer it all the years it's yours.

Marsbar

May 5, 2019
Hastings
The used one that I'm currently most interested in is a full 5,000 less than new, 75 hours on it, with the loader kit installed. I would still need to add a third function valve to the loader so I could use a grapple. Is the 1 year warranty worth 5,000? I've narrowed it down to the B2601 for the added horsepower over the B2320. The used one is a 2016 listed at 14,900 and damn tempting. I'd really appreciate more info on the factory warranties that Kubota offers, as I understand it's only a single year. If that is the case then I would hope that there isn't a flaw in the design that would require a repair that is in the 5 grand range. I'm primarily using it for cleaning up the woodland and snow blowing in the winter months if that helps. Have there been any major design changes since 2016 that I should be considering that would justify the purchase price of a new tractor? The old lady is a little concerned about the 27,000 dollar price tag after the addition of the snowblower, so I'll need some serious justification to sway her towards a newer option.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Warranty is good for six years not just one. If your looking at a 2016 you should still have 3 years left on warranty. Maybe you should contact kubota for clarification. As far as new to used I would say one thing. It takes someone using a tractor irresponsibily to cause damage in 5 mins. I like buying new and taking care of it from that point on. Anything that is serviced and taken care of should last a very long time. If new is not an option ask for records, look for leaks, damage, wear and tear, etc. if service records can’t be provided you must tell yourself that service work just didn’t happen.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
The used one that I'm currently most interested in is a full 5,000 less than new, 75 hours on it, with the loader kit installed. I would still need to add a third function valve to the loader so I could use a grapple. Is the 1 year warranty worth 5,000? I've narrowed it down to the B2601 for the added horsepower over the B2320. The used one is a 2016 listed at 14,900 and damn tempting. I'd really appreciate more info on the factory warranties that Kubota offers, as I understand it's only a single year. If that is the case then I would hope that there isn't a flaw in the design that would require a repair that is in the 5 grand range. I'm primarily using it for cleaning up the woodland and snow blowing in the winter months if that helps. Have there been any major design changes since 2016 that I should be considering that would justify the purchase price of a new tractor? The old lady is a little concerned about the 27,000 dollar price tag after the addition of the snowblower, so I'll need some serious justification to sway her towards a newer option.
If my memory serves me it's 2 years full coverage and 6 years powertrain coverage. I was on the fence with the 23s and the 2301 due to a few things I didn't like on a 25d I used and it was the improvements on the 23s that helped me make the decision, if those changes weren't there I would have likely gone with the 2301 with loader and hoe, although I didn't like the hydro control on the B, who knows what I would have bought at this point? I'm almost a year out and 175hrs on the BX23s with no complaints or buyers remorse what so ever.

Like I said if it makes financial sense to you, it may not. We all have different triggers and underlying circumstances. A blower is a big expense on any model machine new and likely save coin on this option used which maybe enough to make the used option more attractive. There maybe a better used market in your area and better pricing , my area used 200hrs or less would likely yield a 2 K reduction in price. But definitely with woods go B or L for ground clearance.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Is this from a dealer?
Are there maintenance records ?
Which mdl are you looking at?
3 years old and only 75 hours,,makes me wonder
Where did it come from, can you contact the previous owner?
What shape are the tires body cab if it has one does everything work, check oil hydro leven coolant ,,look at the electrical under the hood ext, check the safety switches,, some people jumper them out because they can be an inconvenience sometimes.
I dont know about the warranty maybe talk with them to get an extended one if you are working with a dealer.
And at this juncture, ya pays your money and takes your chances,

Marsbar

May 5, 2019
Hastings
Well if it has a 6 year warranty with 2 years full coverage, that would be something worth considering. That said, if properly serviced, and the durability of the machine is great, how much would I use that warranty? Have you guys ever had to warranty an issue that you faced in the first couple of years of ownership? I've got experience running my old man's BX23, so I should be able to avoid most silly mistakes that would damage something in the first five minutes of operation. My experience with machinery to this point has led me to believe that if it is well built and maintained, a warranty is only worth peace of mind. That said, what kind of common problems and repairs may fall under warranty? I doubt that there are that many lemons off the Kubota production line, but I haven't been in the community for years. The only things that I can think of that would be likely as huge repairs would be the transmission and hydraulics. From what I've seen on my Pa's tractor the motor is rock solid, it's seen some electrical issues, but it lives in a MN driveway year round. Can I trust an inspection from the dealership that I am buying from? Are extended warranties common on used machines?

Marsbar

May 5, 2019
Hastings
The machine is from a dealer, I am working on getting maintenance records and obviously holding off on any decisions until those are in hand. I'm going to check into extended warranties with them tomorrow morning. Does the 15,000 price tag seem low for the hours on it? If so I would be concerned about some major damage hiding somewhere in the machine. I live in an area where both large farms and mid size wooded lots are common, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought a machine and found out after a few years of ownership that something much larger would be better suited to them. Bottom line is, I don't know what a good deal looks like here, and certainly can't tell if this one is too good to be true. Here's a link to the tractor in question.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/28909563/2016-kubota-b2601hsd

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
The machine is from a dealer, I am working on getting maintenance records and obviously holding off on any decisions until those are in hand. I'm going to check into extended warranties with them tomorrow morning. Does the 15,000 price tag seem low for the hours on it? If so I would be concerned about some major damage hiding somewhere in the machine. I live in an area where both large farms and mid size wooded lots are common, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought a machine and found out after a few years of ownership that something much larger would be better suited to them. Bottom line is, I don't know what a good deal looks like here, and certainly can't tell if this one is too good to be true. Here's a link to the tractor in question.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/28909563/2016-kubota-b2601hsd

You are the one dealing with the company in question. I googled Jaycox Implement and had good reviews. How do they make you feel about buying from them? Do you feel like they are honest and up front. 75 hours is nothing on a tractor. I don’t know what records your looking for. If it had the 50 hour service it has been kept up. Check the grease on the loader. They need to be greased every 10 hours, does it look like it has been? Price a new one online just like the 2016. Apples to apples and see how much you are saving. You have to feel good all the way around the board not us. Good luck.

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA
Kubota days out at Niebur's this weekend I believe. May the 10 -11. They might have some promotions going

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Keep in mind they probably have 0% financing offer! You will not get that on a used machine. Always better to use someone else's money!

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan

That is priced with just the loader , you should be able buy new for about 2K more +/- + tax

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
I have the bx23s. I got it new. I did have a problem with the glow plug lights staying on and draining the battery. It had under 50 hrs. The dealership replaced some faulty module. So guess the warranty worked for me. When I got a tractor I got it in part to save time. The last thing I wanted was a fixing a tractor project rather than doing the real project so I bought new. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
$5K off new for a 75 hour machine is a great deal. Yes, people can break a tractor in 75 hours, but most people don't, and they're reasonably durable. As with anything used you can get a dud, but $5K is real money.

However, make sure it's actually $5K off. Most people reckon you use the Kubota build tool to get a price, and assume 5-10% off, depending on location. If that's really $5K difference, then I'd buy second hand. Some people don't like second hand, I bought a second hand BX that had been seriously abused by a contractor (or his apprentice) for 5 years, then left outside in the rain for a while. Goes great, never regretted it, haven't had any mechanical issues. That may not be normal, but they were obviously not careful with it (every panel is busted), and didn't manage to break it. Tractors aren't that fragile.

I wouldn't buy second hand without a loader then add one. That's what I did, the loader is now the most expensive part of the tractor. The tractor is ten years old, the loader two years old. For anyone buying it off me, it's a ten year old tractor with a loader, not a ten year old tractor with a two year old loader. I won't get my money back on the loader.

A 2650 is quite a bit bigger machine, for woods work may be more bang for your buck. Always easy to spend someone else's money, but look closely before you decide on a 2601. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/f...55&arubalp=b1ae49d1-8a7e-43e7-b02b-ba05658657

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
I picked up a used 2016 BX2670 from a private party last October. It had 112 or so hours on it. Had the Bucket and a middle mount mower. I saved about $5250.00. And it’s still under the power train warranty until 2022. The 0% Kubota is offering wasn’t important to me as I didn’t need a loan.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
Hey all,

I'm a new homeowner on 7.5 acres of woodland looking for a tractor to help deal with the oak wilt that is devastating our trees. I've been shopping the B series due to the lifting capacity over the BX's. I'm hoping to get some answers to a few questions regarding common pitfalls for a first time tractor owner (I don't think a John Deere D series counts). Anyway the first question is the obvious, new or used? What advantages would I get out of a new tractor over a used one? Second, how many hours can I anticipate getting out of a B series assuming faithful maintenance? Third, what should I be on the lookout for in a used tractor? I'v found a couple that are in my price range varying from 250-900+ hours available near enough to me that I could pick them up. I need a loader attachment for mine, and some of the best deals I've found do not include them, so is adding a loader to a tractor going to be significantly more expensive than purchasing one with it already installed (save for the cost of the loader itself)? Any and all advice would be welcome, I heard that of the whole wide web you folks know best, so please lay your knowledge on me so I can happily join the legions of orange.
if you think you found the perfect size then go one size bigger

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Marsbar, whether you buy new or used kind of depends on your personality. I have a couple of friends who are not mechanically inclined at all. One wouldn't know how, or have the tools, to replace the chain on a chain saw. The other is similar. They always buy new. Their fathers never fixed any thing. They passed that "trait" on. Their sons heard, "Buying something used is just buying someone else's problems".

So you need to evaluate your own skill sets and your philosophy with being in debt, then search for whichever suits your needs.....new or used.

If the dealer will give you the previous owners name and phone number you can get first hand information. Find out which dealer he bought it from and inquire there about what their service dept. knows about it. Discover why he sold it, what maintenance he did, what he liked about it, what he disliked about it. Then decide if the difference in funds is worth it to you.

The new/used choice has to be what you feel comfortable with.

I personally enjoy buying used items, and often it's a bargain just because the previous owner was on of those folks I described above. I bought my L4240 in Jackson, Tn. sight unseen. I inquired with the dealer, then the previous owner, then the tech at the dealer, sent the money and had it delivered 540 miles to me. No issues what-so-ever.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
My first tractor was a B2400 I purchased off of a site that rhymes with “fleabay” that came without a loader. Never could find one and the dealers seemed very uninterested adding one. The cost seemed prohibitive maybe on purpose.

I really purchased the tractor to mow with, but quickly discovered a tractor with out a FEL is a sad, sad thing. Too much untapped potential....

Marsbar

May 5, 2019
Hastings
Thanks for the heads up Geo! I might run into you there. Thanks to everyone who helped me get a feel for this process, I feel a lot better about shopping the tractors available near me. You've all been super helpful and I'm appreciative of that.

Marsbar

May 5, 2019
Hastings
Well I took the advice of some of you folks here and sized it up a notch to the B2650. I priced it with the online calculator, and then with my local dealership. The online calculator puts it at 21,650, and the dealership came in at 21,300. Do I just need to bounce the numbers off of a bunch of local dealerships to get that 10-15% off of the online calculator price? I'm happy to take a weekend to drive and pick it up.