Antifreeze disappearing!

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Hi OT Experts

My L1500dt seems to need the antifreeze topped up to often and I don't see any leaks.

I have been monitoring the oil level and it may be coming up!

Wondering if it is a gasket or a cracked block? Suggestions?

Odd part is it starts and runs like a top!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
You could get the oil analysed, if your not sure where any truck shop in Saskatoon should be able to give you a location. That would only help to determine if it's getting to the oil.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Have you drained the oil?
You should be able to see the seporated water if you have put in a bunch.
Take the first draw in a glass jar.

Ray

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you are filling it to the top it won't stay that way. It sputters out the overflow. Just fill it and run it one time. Then next time check it before you start it and note where it is. Run it for some time but don't work it too hard. Then let it cool overnight and see if it is still at same position

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you are filling it to the top it won't stay that way. It sputters out the overflow. Just fill it and run it one time. Then next time check it before you start it and note where it is. Run it for some time but don't work it too hard. Then let it cool overnight and see if it is still at same position

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Trying to remember, you machine does not have a water pump, thermosyphon system, hot water rises!

Like Russell said, IF TOO full, the radiator WILL spit it out until it gets happy! :p
My two B7100's both will get upset at me IF I place water to top of neck, matter of fact, I almost have to stick a finger in or flashlight to SEE the water that should just cover the top of the fins inside the radiator!

Check the temp of radiator too with infrared gun, if your are something in 180-200 range at top of radiator and something like 130-150 ish at bottom, you are in good shape.

I would think if head/gasket problem, it would show itself with over pressure or more rapid loss of fluid. Then again, seen a pinhole in gasket that took some time to get radiator over pressured too.

IFFF, the oil level is rising, that aint good at all, check in exact same spot over time, hot oil might rise a smidge over cold oil, but aint gonna be that noticeable, if something is adding itself to the oil, aint but three things it can be! Hydraulic if applicable, water or diesel!;)

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Thanks guys, I will be doing an oil change right away and monitor as advised above.

I have to put time into some seal and gaskets, the old girl has been marking her territory quite a bit lately.