Another L4400 no start

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
After reading through a few old discussions on this subject it seems there are no free wiring diagrams available on this model? The parts diagrams for the HST version show a number of switches, some of which would be involved in the cranking circuit, but I see no listing for a start relay. Since most tractors use one, I would expect this one does as well. Can anyone confirm the existence of it on this model, and maybe a location?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Try walking into your local dealer armed with a clean USB key, as some dealers have been downloading the file onto them for a small fee.

Reactions: 1 user

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
That may be a practical option if I needed that much information, but in this case I'm only looking for some basics involving the start circuit.

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
As it turns out I will be ordering the manual after all. The owner said he has been thinking of getting one for some time. It seems I need more than "just the basics" on this system. Today's experience proves that.

To all of you who enjoy an electrical challenge, ponder this. Not knowing the total number of, or exact locations of, the various switches involved, I could only start at the beginning and work my way through what I can find and reach. Key switch start signal is working. Start signal is a black wire with white tracer. heavy wire, like 12 or 14 gauge. All the wires to switches (those I found) are small, like 18 or 20 gauge also black with white tracer along with a black wire with yellow tracer. The wires leading to the clutch pedal safety switch were unplugged and tested with a test light for power with key in start position. No power to either one. Okay, so start signal doesn't come here first, but maybe last? Same color wires appear at PTO switch, so I test them in the same manner. The black and yellow wire shows no power. The black and white wire shows no power (light does not light up) but the key switch now cranks the starter. Tractor starts right up and runs as it always did. I'm thinking this wire going to ground has some effect on the starting circuit? Could be, as some systems work that way. I add a jumper wire to ground the circuit, try it again. Nothing. Remove the jumper and insert the test light probe again, and bingo the starter works.

In the interest of getting the tractor moving again for chores do be done, my bandaid for the day was to wire a 12v pilot light between the black and white wire at the PTO switch and ground. The effect was the same as with my test light and the starter works again. All be it with no safeties in play until I get a diagram and figure this thing out.

The owner has had the tractor since it was new and says it never had a neutral switch on the range lever, it would always start in any range. Only the clutch pedal and PTO switches were his known safeties, and maybe something with the hydrostat pedal. I crawled under it and looked for something related to that pedal or linkage but found nothing and no wiring of any sort on that side.

Maybe someone more familiar with this system can offer some feedback on how this is possible. Without a diagram, I will remain confused.