Another 3 point hydraulics tapping question

speedy5966

Equipment
B7100
Aug 20, 2013
Azle, TX
OK Guys, I really did search for this, both here and general web search. If there is a post that already covers it, please direct me. I found this one, but it really doesn't answer my question:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11312
I want to run a log splitter off of the tractor hydraulics. From what I have read, the pump for the loader doesn't flow a lot of GPM, and would make a 4" cylinder run pretty slow. (if this is incorrect, by all means correct me). So I think the better option is from the 3 point hydraulics. Here are my main questions:
1) will it flow better? Based on seeing the size of the lift cylinder when I replaced the O-ring on the cap, the 3 point cylinder is pretty big, and seems to operate plenty fast for a splitter, but I could be wrong.
2) If this is feasible, is it better and or easier to tap into the lines with a diverter block, or use the line from the directional control valve under the seat?
3) If it's best to use the line on the directional control valve, how do I get the handle for the valve to turn, and where do I run my return?

Thanks everybody!!

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
You only have one pump on your machine, and it feeds everything including the 3PH. Your best bet will be to add a PTO driven pump if you really want to power it from your tractor-but usaully by the time you do all that a gas powered splitter can be had cheaper and it won't tie your tractor up using it.

speedy5966

Equipment
B7100
Aug 20, 2013
Azle, TX
I guess I should have mentioned, my loader is a B219, and runs from a pump mounted at the front of the tractor. I see no lines that tie that pump to the 3 point system, but I could be wrong.:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's possible the loader pump is a higher GPM, you would have to know the model of the pump to know for sure.
You will be very disappointed tying into the 3 point hydraulics.
Even with it having a front pump it still would be wise to put a 2 stage pump off the rear PTO to just run the splitter.

speedy5966

Equipment
B7100
Aug 20, 2013
Azle, TX
OK, thanks for the quick answers! Guess I'll fabricate a PTO mount for a pump, since actual PTO pumps are way expensive.
Thanks everybody!!

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Why not mount a pump on the frame of the splitter and use a driveshaft, makes the hydro plumbing a lot easier