Analysis Paralysis L2501/LX2610SU…….B2601

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I stopped to look at a B2601 and B2650 this morning.
For some of the work you mention TomRC, my gut says maybe the L2501 could be a better choice. At least a B2650, which might be better suited for your yard work, even if it were a rear finish mower.
Probably not a well-informed suggestion, but I’ll just throw it out there.
The 2650 is a little too big for my own yard work.... I think the 2601 would be a good choice for me and my 6 acres, but I’m not‘hogging anything. My BX2360 just doesn’t quite have enough sometimes.

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I was going to say something about getting a dedicated mower to do your yard, but I wasn't sure you would want to buy something else. That is the way I would go if you can finance it. I would rather get the L2501 and not need it, than get the B2601 and find out you need a L2501.

Reactions: 1 user

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Today I'm leaning towards the B2601 w/ R4 tires. For around $22, 600 plus tax I can get the tractor, loader, 54' SSQA bucket, tires filled, rear wheel spacer, third function kit, QH15 quick hitch, BB1260 box blade, 1250RTR tiller, RCR1548 medium duty bush hog and PL1242 pallet forks. Will add the grapple down the road. This is a pretty complete setup out of the gate.

Budget is a factor and this is really more than I'd like to spend so getting an equivalent setup in an L2501 puts me way past where I'd like to be. MDHUGHES I understand what you are saying and I guess I'll view the B2601 in a similar way. A guy up the road does fine on a similar property with a BX2380 so I guess I'll view it as a BX2380 could get the job done but I'm going to upgrade to the B2601. I keep going back and forth but this seems to be the most fiscally sensible choice.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Buy a tractor for tractoring.

Buy a lawn mower for lawn mowing.

Bruce

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Since it sounds you will be cutting down pasture grass/weeds, as opposed to heavy brush, I think you could use a standard or light duty 54" or 60" rotary cutter on a B2601, it has about the same HP as an L2501. A medium duty RC would be too heavy and also unnecessary. You could use the RC to cut your pasture without even needing to remove the belly mower, just pin it up.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Would it pull a 5' flail? That'd do pasture work if you're keeping reasonably on top of the length. They stick out less far, so fewer problems with the weight on a B2601.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
TomRC - You say budget is a factor right out of the gate, you have a very large list of attachments (too many maybe and there is too much money in buying all of these new) in your wish list. I really recommend buying up in your tractor decision to the L2501 and buy only those attachments you absolutely must have. You can buy lots of used attachments on craigslist after for a fraction of the new cost, if you don't love them you can resell them for what you paid. I did a lot of that with my first tractor, I purchased attachments that I felt I must have and then quickly realised that I did not need them. You can collect attachments over time. If you don't buy the right tractor for you and then you buy a ton of attachments for the tractor thats not right for you, you will have a big cost to change things. If you look back through this thread the most common advice is to buy a L2501, a lot of people with some experience made this comment.

Good luck in making the decision that works for you.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I don't think the list is long. A bush hog or some rotary cutter / mower is necessary for pasture, a box blade for long gravel driveway and previously listed box blade and tiller to convert and area about the size of a football field that is currently bare uneven dirt as a result of grading for septic / house that needs to be converted back to yard / pasture. Tiller will also be used for garden / food plot multiple times annually. . Could forgo pallet forks I suppose and am holding off on grapple initially but the bush hog / tiller / and box blade are must out of the gate. Will have to use all three of these later this summer! This is a long term investment so on the three main implements want to buy new and not used.

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I don't think the list is long. A bush hog or some rotary cutter / mower is necessary for pasture, a box blade for long gravel driveway and previously listed box blade and tiller to convert and area about the size of a football field that is bare dirt as a result of grading for septic / house that needs to be converted back to yard / pasture. Tiller will also be used for garden / food plot multiple times annually. . Could forgo pallet forks I suppose and am holding off on grapple initially but the bush hog / tiller / and box blade are must out of the gate. Will have to use all three of these later this summer!
TomRC,
I'm not being critical of the attachments you feel you need, I agree they are all very useful and over time you will add even more. My comment was very simple, if you are on a budget buy more tractor and less attachments on day 1 or buy used attachments or borrow an attachment from a buddy. Just make sure you are comfortable with the tractor you select.

Your posting here is very similar to many prior postings "B2601 or L2501" I was simply commenting that you received a lot of good input but seemed to be making a tractor selection decision based on budget where the attachments were a fair part of the overall cost.

I look forward to hear about your new tractor on order and look forward to seeing a few photos when it arrives, it is very exciting.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I appreciate the feedback and TOTALLY AGREE that trying to figure out how to get into the L2501 would be a smart much more future proof solution. While the B2601 will probably get the job done and for a good price have a pretty complete setup out of the gate BUT the L2501 is a MAJOR UPGRADE in every way. Just got to see how some unknown expenses related to house (i.e drilling well for example) pan out over the next few weeks. $ outcome of the well cost alone might turn the tide toward the L2501. With regards to implements Woods is probably going to be to much of a premium but am debating Landpride implements or ordering from EA....maybe even Kingcutter. Most seem VERY happy with their EA implements and the quality you get for the price.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I appreciate the feedback and TOTALLY AGREE that while the B2601 will probably get the job done and for a good price have a pretty complete setup out of the gate BUT the L2501 is a MAJOR UPGRADE in every way. Just got to see how some unknown expenses related to house (i.e drilling well for example) pan out over the next few weeks. $ outcome of the well cost alone might turn the tide toward the L2501. With regards to implements Woods is probably going to be to much of a premium but am debating Landpride implements or ordering from EA....maybe even Kingcutter. Most seem VERY happy with their EA implements and the quality you get for the price.
I have purchased quite a few attachments from EA, (large disc harrow, 84" cultipacker, land shark scarifier, extreme 84" rake, tiller, 3pt spreaders) all good stuff and they include delivery, I highly recommend them. I have purchased used Woods attachments and saved a ton of money (HB84 box blade, BBX 72). I have purchased attachments from palletforks.com - Titan, some good items (ballest box, rock bucket, grapple, gooseneck trailer hitch attachment & more). I have purchased Woods new for a Rotary cutter BBX 60, expensive but really nice on L3200 for 8 miles of woodland trails. I ran King Kutter brush hog for many years, great unit, today I purchased a slightly used returned TSC Countyline subsoiler for $159. There as so many attachments & options. All of these attachment decisions are not as serious as your initial tractor decision, It's easy to make do with a cheaper attachment, sell it for very little loss and buy really nice attachments later. You will quickly learn that the great thing about a tractor is that is most cases it is the only piece of equipment that needs any serious regular care, most attachments are pretty dumb and just need a little grease or to check it has oil in the gear box.

Good luck on your final decision, I hope I have been a help with my input but maybe I have said too much.

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
I have 120 hrs on a BX1860 with no loader. I purchased it after getting quotes to do my landscaping and decided to do it myself. Picked up a box blade and I would say I have 80 hours on the box blade easily. Biggest issue I had was running out of weight/traction with the turf tires and chains. I now use the tractor to mow just under 1 acres and brush hog 1.5 acres, maintain 300 foot driveway and 50x50 foot parking area, Also tilling a large garden with it in hope to possibly plant about an acre at some point.

Seeing what my BX1860 will do I think you wont have any issues with the B2601. I run a flail mowing for brush hogging and it does a great job just might take a bit longer is all.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Snowmansimo........after talking to the fella up the road that me that maintains his property which is similar to mine with a BX I'm convinced many don't give the BX the credit they deserve. May take a little longer but quite competent to maintain small properties and much more capaple than many give them credit for. I was surprised how much he praised his BX and it was his comments that convinced me that while maybe not ideal, the B2601 would be more than adequate for my needs.

I realize tractors don't have suspensions and I'm not expecting a smooth ride but one salesman told me that the extra weight of the L2501 made for a much more pleasant experience if out bush hogging over pasture for a few hours over a B2601. My back is not exactly in stellar condition. Would there be that significant of a difference in the ride of these two machines. Just not going to be able to tell driving over pavement or a quick trip over "dirt" at the dealer.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Snowmansimo........after talking to the fella up the road that me that maintains his property which is similar to mine with a BX I'm convinced many don't give the BX the credit they deserve. May take a little longer but quite competent to maintain small properties and much more capaple than many give them credit for. I was surprised how much he praised his BX and it was his comments that convinced me that while maybe not ideal, the B2601 would be more than adequate for my needs.

I realize tractors don't have suspensions and I'm not expecting a smooth ride but one salesman told me that the extra weight of the L2501 made for a much more pleasant experience if out bush hogging over pasture for a few hours over a B2601. My back is not exactly in stellar condition. Would there be that significant of a difference in the ride of these two machines. Just not going to be able to tell driving over pavement or a quick trip over "dirt" at the dealer.
L2501 will be more comfortable I think on rough terrain, longer wheelbase.

I try to tell everyone this. Buy what your budget can reasonably afford. If you don’t already have a tractor even a BX series would be an awesome upgrade!

I saw a great comment by GPOutdoors on YouTube - he said when people go to the dealer they often dismiss the smaller machines (BX and B) because they see the L and that’s what a tractor should look like. But the smaller ones are incredibly capable and will do everything you need unless you can already name a specific task they won’t do.
If your talking about an all around machine that can mow, do yard/landscape tasks, driveway grading/snow removal PLUS do some small amount of field work, I’d stick with the B01 or LX. If you’re going to spend more time in the field than in the yard I’d go L01.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
What are your opinions on the digital dash vs. analog. Concerned about long term reliability of a digital dash (moisture, etc). I've almost tossed aside the LX2610SU and maybe it needs to be revisited before pulling the trigger. The only box the B2601 doesn't check for me.......and its a big box is not being able to use a 5' bush hog but maybe the LX2610 could handle the light duty landpride 5' bush hog??? My pasture is in pretty good shape so maybe go the 5' finish mower on the B2601 and look for a used cheaper 4' bush hog down the road to work on my trails. As you can tell I'm hung up on wanting a 5' cutting solution for the pasture! Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth and need to make a decision in a few weeks!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
You keep mentioning that you are considering B'01 or L'01. There IS something in the very middle of those two. The B'50 (or LX) is a very capable and comfortable machine. I don't think you'd have an issue running a 5 foot cutter, as in lighter duty RC or a flail. With a flail, you can lose the loader and not have to lug the extra weight that you would with an RC.

I've had a BX for a dozen years, and the large B for almost 3 years. I can say with confidence that both punch well above their weight class. Oh, and the comfy B seat has arm rests!. No issues with the digital dash for me as yet (and I hose mine down regularly). I wouldn't be worried about it. The B 50's have been out for quite a while and I don't recall seeing posts about dash's failing.

PS- maybe look at the NEW LX3301. Then you wouldn't have to worry at all about HP for a 5 foot rotary cutter.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
DD........see my previous post. Yes the LX2610 is in back in the mix. Even though many have said stick to a 4' brush hog on the LX2610 / B2650 I have seen numerous videos of B2650's pulling 5' bush hogs. Not a fan of the digital dash (see prior post) but maybe I'm misguided about this. Splitting the difference on the B2601 and L2501 might be the answer. A few more weeks to decide!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
DD........see my previous post. Yes the LX2610 is in back in the mix. Even though many have said stick to a 4' brush hog on the LX2610 / B2650 I have seen numerous videos of B2650's pulling 5' bush hogs. Not a fan of the digital dash (see prior post) but maybe I'm misguided about this. Splitting the difference on the B2601 and L2501 might be the answer. A few more weeks to decide!
Understood. They say that the emissions junk on the 33hp model (LX3310, LX3310SU) has been fixed by a different fuel injection method.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find your Goldilocks.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
You could run a 5' bush hog on the 2601. It has essentially the same PTO horsepower (~19.5HP) as the L2501. If you are just cutting pasture weeds and tall grass you could run a 5' bush hog without any issue. I think the difference will be noted in heavy brush or larger diameter stuff, where the smaller engine (less torque at same HP rating) and the lighter tractor present a few complications.

I still think from reading the thread that the L2501 is the best choice for what you are doing. The difference in weight between the 2601 and 2650 is just 154 LBS. Most all of the specs on the 2650 take a baby step up. Going up to the L2501 however you take a ~900lb jump up in weight. I would just stress this difference in weight, having used the L2501 for a year, I have learned how important weight is as I detailed in my other post. This weight difference will make the L2501 feel much more substantial when you're working, pulling loads, lifting loads. With a light tractor, everything just feels a little weaker.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Tornado......I agree with your thoughts on the L2501. I just need to go buy something and move on. The more you research the more questions come up......endless rabbit hole! I've read some say that the L2501 is much more comfortable to spend time on, smoother ride due to weight and yet I've read a number of comments that the seat on the L2501 is a back buster (apparently due to seat springs) not to mention no armrest and apparently Kubota doesn't offer an armrest kit for the L2501. I know seat and arm rests seem like a minor detail but if you knew my health history you'd understand. My back went out on me a couple of days ago, I'll be back to semi OK in a week or so but the last couple of days have been rough so these things factor in. The creature comforts of the B are apparent even though they are no match for what the L2501 can do!