Alternator Bolt

Airgator

Equipment
Kubota M4050
Jan 22, 2022
Florida
I bought a new alternator. The top bolt (on the new alternator) that connects to the slide adjuster (Sorry no idea what the official name is) will not loosen. The bolt isn't long enough to get a nut on it. Will it come off with an air wrench?
Thanks for your help.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I would say if you can't loosen it with a wrench then something is wrong. Possibly it was cross threaded.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Do NOT use an air wrench !!!! Just take it back to supplier, have THEM loosen it for you ! Even if it's an hour 'roadtrip' !! Let THEM bust it, THEY have to make it better...YOU bust it, it'll cost YOU !!!

GM/DELCO style alternators(CS130, etc.) have threaded bosses, no nut required.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
The top bolt (on the new alternator) that connects to the slide adjuster (Sorry no idea what the official name is) will not loosen.
Are you suggesting that you feel the need to remove a bolt from the NEW alternator to install it?

This does not sound right to me. Any alternator I have installed had drilled HOLES where the mounting bolts pass through. I never had to disassemble a new alternator to install it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds like the MFR supplied the bolt(self tap) for the slotted mtg bar to attach to. If so, it was probably 'power torqued' in. Old skool ,the hole would have been drilled and tapped( 5/16-18).
The DELCO alternator on my forklift had the threads stripped out 2 decades ago so it needs a real bolt and nut to secure it.PITA to adjust, BTW....

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I generally convert the top bolt (adjustment slot) to a stud which goes the full width of the alternator boss, with a drop of 243 Loctite, it provides a full pull without stretching the threads in the cast aluminum housing, add a grade 8 extra thick flat washer, lock washer, nyloc nut and you're good.