All purpose plow

Ospreydog

Equipment
Kubota b7610
Sep 12, 2021
Georgia
Hey guys I have wanted an all purpose plow to do my food plots on my hunting land. I found one on market place for a good price and bought it. The only thing is instead of points on the tines it has 7” sweeps. Do you think I should replace them with points or what, I haven’t seen an all purpose plow with sweeps. It’s too wet to try it but I’m hoping you guys have had experience with this.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
What are you calling an All Purpose Plow? Is it a Chisel Plow? A Cultivator or something different?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hey guys I have wanted an all purpose plow to do my food plots on my hunting land. I found one on market place for a good price and bought it. The only thing is instead of points on the tines it has 7” sweeps. Do you think I should replace them with points or what, I haven’t seen an all purpose plow with sweeps. It’s too wet to try it but I’m hoping you guys have had experience with this.
I just bought a Fred Cain 9 point cultivator ( the same thing as your devil dog all purpose plow). It came with points instead of sweeps. I haven’t yet used it because it’s too early. But I’m thinking that sweeps would be used for shallow cultivation in previously prepared garden soil. For new ground, I would change the sweeps out with points.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I just bought a Fred Cain 9 point cultivator ( the same thing as your devil dog all purpose plow). It came with points instead of sweeps. I haven’t yet used it because it’s too early. But I’m thinking that sweeps would be used for shallow cultivation in previously prepared garden soil. For new ground, I would change the sweeps out with points.
The Fred Cain all purpose plow appears to be a good implement.
Fortunately you didn't buy a DHE (Darrel Harp Industries) all purpose plow from Sweet Farm Equipment, on E-Bay.
I will never again buy anything distributed by DHE!
The implement was apparently made in India, though it was recommended by Ken Sweet.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The Fred Cain all purpose plow appears to be a good implement.
Fortunately you didn't buy a DHE (Darrel Harp Industries) all purpose plow from Sweet Farm Equipment, on E-Bay.
I will never again buy anything distributed by DHE!
The implement was apparently made in India, though it was recommended by Ken Sweet.
The Fred Cain implement is made in Kentucky and shipped from the factory. EA whom I ordered from is acting as the middle man. I’m impressed with the quality of the build .

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The Fred Cain implement is made in Kentucky and shipped from the factory. EA whom I ordered from is acting as the middle man. I’m impressed with the quality of the build .
Yup!
I definitely made a low quality implement mistake!

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yup!
I definitely made a low quality implement mistake!
We’re having a warm and open winter. So this weekend I’m going to try and rip the garden with the plow to soak up and incorporate deep moisture if we actually get more winter snow. Usually we get a total of 60-80” of snow over the winter. This winter we’ve has 5-6” so far.