Ag Tires?

A7red

Equipment
L175
Jul 30, 2012
Tallmadge, Ohio
I have a Kubota L175 and it has a front snow blade but only turf tires and chains. I don't like chains because they are a pain to get on, they are never tight, and they scrape up the driveway. So I was thinking to getting some ag tires instead. My concern is that they still won't give me good enough traction and I will have to use chains anyway. However, last year, I did plow about 6" of snow and with some rough spots and a little fairy dust, everything worked fine. That was with an approx. 450 lb. rototiller on the back, so if I get the ag tires, put calcium or other weight in them, and put on my 600 lb. woods mower, I think it would probably work pretty good. But my other concern is where to get ag tires that are in good shape and the cost. Please give me suggestions.

ecook280

Equipment
Kubota B8200HSTD
May 1, 2012
Ohio
I have a Kubota L175 and it has a front snow blade but only turf tires and chains. I don't like chains because they are a pain to get on, they are never tight, and they scrape up the driveway. So I was thinking to getting some ag tires instead. My concern is that they still won't give me good enough traction and I will have to use chains anyway. However, last year, I did plow about 6" of snow and with some rough spots and a little fairy dust, everything worked fine. That was with an approx. 450 lb. rototiller on the back, so if I get the ag tires, put calcium or other weight in them, and put on my 600 lb. woods mower, I think it would probably work pretty good. But my other concern is where to get ag tires that are in good shape and the cost. Please give me suggestions.
I see your over in Tallmadge, I am out in Ravenna, I picked up my R4's at Terry's Tire Town in Alliance, they have an AG/Commercial building out behind the warehouse, might want to give them a call and see what they have available in your size, they may even have some used ones, never know. As for loading your tires I used RV Antifreeze in mine and it seems to really help especially since I have a front end loader on it, of course each one took 21 gallons lol

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I don't believe R4's are any better than turf in snow/ice. Chains are easier to install on turf tires, and end up being much more effective. AGs are best if you can reach the gravel. If you end up needing chains on them, they try to slip in between the groves, or are very expensive.:(

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I agree, R-4s no good for traction. But R-1s Ags sure work good for me.

Loaded rear tires and weight on the 3 pt hitch are goin to be the most help. Actually with a loader on, a tractor has very little traction in the rear. That's way 3 pt ballast is most important...

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
In my experience living in northern Michigan where we gets lots of ice and snow, the turfs are best, R4 industrial tires 2nd, and R1 ag lugs the worst.

I say that for plowing snow with a truck even as once you drop the blade you are running on a cleared area of hard pack/ice and the bars are useless as you don't have enough tread contact to pull yourself. And with chains trufs are even better because they keep the chains flat and the contact area consitant. If you want to drive around in deep unplowed snow then the
ag lug R1's work perfect of course, but the opposite on hard pack or ice. If the chains are really tough to install are you sure you have the correct size?
No matter what they're a pita regardless and why once you put them on you leave them on until the weather changes and you won't need them for several months again.
Al

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
my b7200 had the original turf's on it up until this spring, and even those original turfs plowed very well. we put new turfs on it that look more like a truck mud terrain and i'm betting they will bite even better. the only time that tractor had traction problems plowing was when pushing deep deep wet snow. mud's another problem tho, but with the turfs it float's well in mud.

TooColdinMaine

Equipment
L210
Aug 25, 2013
Maine
I used to install chains on skidders and we always let air out of the tires (not too much) before installing. It could make your life a lot easier during install and make a tighter fit when you are done. :D

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I do have R-1's on mine several experienced snow plowers have told me in the snow R-1's are the best. Had my machine came thru with the R-4's I would of traded them in.
And by the way..."ToColdInMaine"....with a name like that you can't be native ???It an't been "to cold in Maine since '68 ".....

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
In my experience the deep lugs will pull through snow, however ice is another thing entirely. For that you need chains!
It is nice to think about ice and snow - we are at 101F***128517; today.