AG Lime prices

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok guys Im back home from work at least for a little while and attempting to catch up on the hunny do list,, I hate working on the bathroom floor,have to replace the whole freekin thing the tolite was leaking at the wax seal what a mess rotted floor busted up tile( thanks to the OL trying to help),,, Anyway going through my mail I found the soild report from Penn State,, it is worse than I thought, they say I need 9000 pounds per acher X 5 achers = 45000 pounds, 23 tons more or less, and at 34 bucks a ton = 782 bucks + 12 bucks a ton delivered = 276 bucks = 1058 + (6% sales tax) 63.48 =1211.48!! Im sorry but Lime is nothing more than the waste product of rock mining,, theres no way it should cost that much....... So is there anybody else down here inthe coal country of SW Pa that knows where i can get a GOOD Price on lime????

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Skeets,

You hit the nail right on the head already. Depending on how the local rock quarry is set up, have you checked on lime dust from them? Some quarries make 1/8 minus dust and if you were to get that lucky it will work almost as good as ag lime. I had a farmer that came to my quarry about every 2 or 3 yrs and would get our lime dust to spread on his farm. Only difference between it and ag lime is the lime dust takes a little longer to get in the ground and do it's thing but it does work. I guess it would depend on if you have lime stone out there or not though. If you do have lime stone in your area you could also check with a local asphalt plant about bag house lime. Most of the ones around here either throw theirs away or will sell it fairly cheap. Another thought, if you have anywhere up that way that produces carpet then they will require filler product for the backing. The places that make this will sometimes have trouble with their mills. If it has any oversize material in it at all they have to dispose of it. I have a friend that was at the right place at the right time and was given 12 tractor trailer loads of this and it didn't have anything in it over 3/16 but it was to course for them. Just a few ideas, hope this helps.

You could always get out the old MSHA book and stop by the quarry and tell the manager you need to inspect a couple of loads out for a strange new contamination and to be sure he sends the MSDS sheets with it when he has it delivered.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks much Bulldog,,, there are some options I hadnt even thought of :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The dust that we made had to have 100% passing 1/4 inch screen and after that I don't really remember the numbers but it was all smaller. Even though it's slower to work than Ag lime for the money saved it's worth a little extra time to me. I look at it like this. Any that does go in the ground is more than what you had before.