Advice please

Texas1967

Apr 7, 2016
Houston, TX
Hello everyone. I've been lurking for the past several days and have been very impressed with the willingness of the regulars here to offer assistance in a respectful manner. You guys are passionate about tractor. Thanks to everyone who makes this site so good.

I've been looking at a new L2501 (4 WD, HST) and was ready to pull the trigger, until I heard about an individual who was selling a 2012 L3800 with only 54 miles on it. It's a package deal that includes FEL, backhoe, cutter, blade, wood chipper and a post hole digger. He wants $19,000.00 for everything. The tractor has been kept inside a barn and is pristine as it's hardly been used. Apparently the guy is selling his acreage and moving into the city and won't need this anymore.

To me, the higher HP, the attachments, and the lack of new diesel add-ons is a huge plus. I will have to do without a manufacturer's warranty however. What are your thoughts on this choice?

FYI, I have 8 acres with about 5 of it cleared. I will use the tractor primarily for grading the driveway, moving dirt and mulch, hauling dead trees to a burn pile, and such things.

Thanks in advance!

Weasle

Equipment
L5740
Feb 21, 2016
Illinois
Take the deal. 2012 with that low of hours, that thing is not even broke in yet. Plus you are getting some useful attachments. Maybe do a full service on it so you know what schedule the maintenance is on. Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
Take the deal. 2012 with that low of hours, that thing is not even broke in yet. Plus you are getting some useful attachments. Maybe do a full service on it so you know what schedule the maintenance is on. Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto! :):):):):)

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I would jump all over that deal and as mentioned, do a full service and check bolt torque on everything.

Texas1967

Apr 7, 2016
Houston, TX
Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I'm taking a friend who owns three Kubotas currently with me to check it out and haul it back to my place. He's going to look it over for me, and I'll be sure to pass along the items you've recommended we check. We'll also be checking the PTO lift, after reading another thread where issues with jerky action was noted on some of these tractors.

I welcome more input from anyone who hasn't had a shot yet.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Personally for that price, I wouldn't sweat the jerky 3PH if it even exists on that tractor.

Texas1967

Apr 7, 2016
Houston, TX
Sorry, yes it's 54 hours (not miles).

Thanks again guys, as long as everything is as described I should have a new tractor on Saturday. I'll post back after picking it up.

Last edited:

Texas1967

Apr 7, 2016
Houston, TX
Well, all was as advertised, and I am now the proud owner of a 2013 L3800 with 54 hours. Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, I'm sure I'll get many years of use out of it!

Sorry, I tried posting a photo, but couldn't figure it out.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
You'll be happy with the older L3800.

I bought my '12 L3800 HST from a guy who didn't do a lick of service on it in 126 hours. What he did do is drop a mobile home axle on the roof and hood, mashing those severely.

I did an oil change and lube and put it into service. Except for a bad 3pt valve covered under warranty and a HST pedal with too tight of tolerances, it has done an incredible amount of work. I just finished hauling nearly 70,000 lbs of stone into my backyard for contractors who could not figure out how to move it otherwise. Its first job was hauling 22,000 lbs of tile out of the house and to the dumpster, with my wife behind the controls.

Just passed 230 hours and its still a happy machine keeping the owner happy.

Any questions, yell or PM me.

Ray

(If you go to start it and you just get a loud "chatter" the problem is the HST pedal switches. Logic: NO START WITH FORWARD OR REVERSE SELECTED. The HST pedal will get tight and not re-center to STOP. If you are unable to get it started, wiggle the HST pedal to center it and you'll get it started. Adjusting those switches to a wider regime solves that problem. Switches under lower right dash area... Also, if you lean right in your seat and the engine quits, bend the bracket for the under-seat safety switch and get better contact with the seat. Logic: NO DRIVER, KILL MOTOR.)

ALSO, with that low an hour meter, you may still be able to buy a Kubota 3-year extended warranty. I did last year and it was $1100. Well worth it if you want to not have to worry about anything. Call the local dealer.

Last edited:

Texas1967

Apr 7, 2016
Houston, TX
Thank you Dave. It does seem to be quite strong. Appreciate the heads up on the starting/pedal switch issue, I'll keep an eye on it. Going to change the oil today, grease it, and check the bolts and lugs. Can't wait to get to work with it.

Last edited: